A long War vet returns- Iron Warriors project

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Good work on the bases. What did you use for the dirt?

These are resin bases, though you can do the dirt with vallejo rough white pumice for the same effect if you watch how you spread it out/ layer. I use that pumice for historicals, works like a champ. Its really good for muddy tank tracks too. Trick is to add it before you start painting/ base coating to get the colours you want with it. 

I thought I would share a pet project I have been wanting to do for some years now- Iron Warriors. I have been in 40k since 3rd edition, having lurked here as a guest, finally deciding to join up recently. My first army was Black Legion with the glorious 3,5 dex. After the 4th ed decimations onwards I switched to Space Marines, they were just red and grey and I proxied them for everything from 4-7 edition. End of 6th start of 7th I was burned out by the flyer meta so moved on to other systems. I kept tabs on the hobby, via the net and kept following along with the Horus Heresy novels, which were replenishing that old hunger for 40K, healing my wounds from the 6-7th ed airshow I endured haha.

Having done my research and seen the chaos legions fortunes little improved, I still picked chaos because of the modeling opportunities, IW is my second favourite of the Legions as well. Not to mention forgeworlds expansion of the HH tipped me over to come back. The idea is a scourging era IW force I can use in 40k, with some models I can part out for 30K to slow grow into that system at some point. Here is what I achieved in three months so far.

gallery_154982_15357_732184.jpeg

EDIT Sorry I don't know the code to link it direct to the thread, will change if someone could help...

Edit2- lol I worked it out.

Love some IW - Do you have any close ups of those (old school) terminators?

• 2 months later...

I have been converting up some autocannons, found some old potato BL lascannons to re-furbish for my IW's. I think the AC came out pretty good.

gallery_154982_15357_732777.jpeg

I also have a Typhon on the way now it was back in stock on FW. I have some ideas for combi plasma CSM champs as well. I really should be doing my custodes or the indomnitus box I got just yesterday, however I have a thematic IW list I want to run in 9th ed first.

• 3 months later...

Finally finished the tartaros termi's.

gallery_154982_15357_313626.jpg

The claws need some more work, but I am just not really motivated right now to go back and add in more detailed, technical work honestly. They are very serviceable as they are now IMO. The x2 lascannon, x2 autocannon CSM's are almost done (ones from earlier in the thread) so I want to try and get those completed this month hopefully.

• 8 months later...

I have just discovered this thread and it is IW heaven! I have squandered all my likes :P The mkIII Sorcerer looks amazing, I'd have never thought a psyker in mkIII would work but it looks great! I was thinking my only option was mkIV to stick with my IW's theme but you have opened up new possibilities! :laugh.:

Likewise I never thought Tataros would suit IW... consider my opinion thoroughly changed there they look amazing :happy.: Those Sicarans look epic as IWs - what are they like on the table? I might have to think about one... or two!

I'll echo what others have said. A joy to look through all these conversions, the aesthetic of the Iron Warriors is a striking one. All dour industry, hard edges. And you've done it well. Those Lighting Claws en masse will put the fear of the Gods into anyone.

• 2 weeks later...