Terminators vs Obliterators

BolterZorro

As with shadowspear I'm with 2*3 obliterators,  I am wondering how they'd do compared to terminators. It seems that they can have a comparable role and comparable cost (3 obli almost equivalent in points to 10 termis).

Forcollection, I'd get some termi but for my bank account safety, I won't in short term :ermm:

What do you think a bout them? Both can deep strike, both can be well helped by, lets say papa Abby, and both have a dual profile CC/Shooting...

They're pretty different, honestly. Oblits are high powered high damage shooting (when you roll their stats well). They're a semi utility unit for hunting bigger game. Sure they have combat stats... But that's kind of a trap. If oblits aren't shooting they're not doing their job. Drop them in cover midfield, then watch your opponent devote a lot of attention to shift them.

Terminators have been struggling to find a role. But the way I see it, look at them in two ways: dirt cheap or all in. Keep them stock with just bolters and the new chain axe option, and you've got a decent brick that can do some average damage. Lots of bolter shots and a decent melee output. Or, go full combi plasma try to wreck some face. But if you do that, suddenly those termis aren't as cheap.

To me, termis are better suited for the cheap role. They're kinda tough, but will still go down kinda quick. Keep them cheap, and drop them down to harass. Plink off wounds with bolter fire, then charge them at that objective camper to clean them up. Save endless cacophony for the oblits or havocs.

Ultimately I think if your goal is to win I have trouble seeing even the current pointed (115) Oblits being out favoured by Termies.

Which uses the reroll aura better? Which is slower? Which uses cacaphony better?

Plus we’re paying a lot more points for the survival factor. I’ve often said I’d rather have the cheaper Oblits with the old rules over these ones, however since the changes I’ve started embracing the idea of smashing them into combat almost without hesitation. With an appropriate buff they do alright. Perhaps better than Termies!

3 of the new Oblits I’ve always found are quite annoying with delightful agonies. If you add bringers of despair I believe the trait allows full reroll status coming off a Sorc Termie with MOS.

So what’s the selling point of Termies? Cheaper. More disposable. Therefore requiring less buffs and babysitting by Psykers?

I still really think GW should have pointed them better of given a unique weapon. I will undoubtedly use them again but right now I am not understanding where they fit in better than other options.

Bit behind, are the new oblits the old pts with the better data sheet, or do they match the shadowspear one? If they are 115 each, way too many points for 1-2. Thats like either half or a whole Sicarian points we are talking pretty much. If those beta bolter rules go official as is, its even worse of a contest for oblits. I would rather see a one unit cap with the 115pts each price tag, elite slot and the 3.5 dex unit entry. Otherwise they will make a nice base for mk I termi's/ demon princes with a big re-build. 

The Oblits are amazing imo. A squad of 3 firing twice will reliably destroy any tough unit without an amazing invul. They are worth the 100+ points either way I wouldn't take multiple units however.

No way of knowing before they release the FAQ/Errata. Strictly RAW they would be 65p for now as the Codex got released later than Shadowspear, however I wouldn't try to enforce that in games until it's clear.

No way of knowing before they release the FAQ/Errata. Strictly RAW they would be 65p for now as the Codex got released later than Shadowspear, however I wouldn't try to enforce that in games until it's clear.

The time line is just a mistery. They where printed way before the release date. Which one was first? I think that they were kinda paired. I doubt that they were build independantly ;-)

The time line is just a mistery. They where printed way before the release date. Which one was first? I think that they were kinda paired. I doubt that they were build independantly ;-)

This is just a hunch on my part, but I don't think it was a 'what was printed first' question. I have a strong feeling it was a copy paste error on whomever adjusted the document for CSM II.

I honestly think the end points will fall between 99 and 115 points!

New Havocs are so juicy that I believe if Havocs came with Shadowspear it would have greatly diminished Obliterator sales after the fact.

That said I disagree with only playing one squad. I think they're so expensive that it can pay dividends to have multiple squads (I'm not saying it's impossible to play one squad,) I've had a few games with playing 1 of the new Oblit squads (@115 each) and in my meta they can still disappear very fast because the threat of daemon Engines/ CC doesn't concern some armies. But with 2 squads... I have done some serious damage with proper buffing.

Termies I'm still trying to wrap my head around. Again they're an iconic unit that I love. Right now all I can think of is trying to use the Black Legion strat to give them every mark for a turn and going to town with them, but again Oblits might just do it better.

Well I said released for a reason, not printed. ;)

RE: Points cost, by GW's own admission until FAQ the Codex is the newest publication so it is 65, but you need 3 (Unit size says "3" not "1-3").  Now it's likely that's a typo and will be changed, but RAW it's 65 but you are required to take 3 of them until otherwise stated.

RE: Points cost, by GW's own admission until FAQ the Codex is the newest publication so it is 65, but you need 3 (Unit size says "3" not "1-3").  Now it's likely that's a typo and will be changed, but RAW it's 65 but you are required to take 3 of them until otherwise stated.

lol 3 at 65 is a steal, meaning you got 3 UNITS of 3 for the (expected) price of 2 units of 3. Just OP imho.

lol 3 at 65 is a steal, meaning you got 3 UNITS of 3 for the (expected) price of 2 units of 3. Just OP imho.

Oh yeah.  I'm pretty sure it's a mistake but that's how the rules work right now.  Of course, GW being GW, they could say no its not a mistake.  Hard to tell with how inconsistent they are.

Archived