Greetings!

Hi! I'm new to both 40k and the forum. 

Started out with the First Strike box to learn the basics and I've just recently ordered some other models. Someone at my local store suggested I get the Space Marine half of the Dark Imperium set if I was really fixed on playing them (I was between Tau and Space Marines for a while), so I did. I also went ahead and got 10 Primaris Intercessors that I'd found online for what looked like a fair price. I'm a full-time student, so I imagine just building these guys up and eventually painting them (if I ever become so bold) will keep me plenty busy before I grow my ranks much further. 

According to Battlescribe, that should put me at just under 1,000 points. I've heard most people in my area prefer 2,000 point games, but I'm hoping they'll be willing to downsize for a rookie. Haven't settled on a chapter yet, so I'll probably be test driving for a while and seeing what works out for me.

I'd be happy to hear any advice useful to a newcomer on just about any aspect of the hobby.   

Hah, glad to see I'm not the only noob who hopped onto the Death Guard/Primaris deals. Honestly, you've started out great. Primaris are decent for what they are, and they're great fluff-wise, if you wanna get into the lore and come up with something to do with them. The people in my area tend to like 1k point games and smaller, so you're either lucky or unlucky depending on how you look at it. Personally, I think you're off to a good start, and I hope to see more from you. Welcome to the hobby! ^^

Welcome to the B&C - anyone else hearing the Imperial March? No?

Have you decided what flavour of Marines to do yet? Having Battlescribe is an excellent start point too as it will help you play around with lists and see rules at a glance (no substitute for a Codex though).

Welcome to the B&C - anyone else hearing the Imperial March? No?

Have you decided what flavour of Marines to do yet? Having Battlescribe is an excellent start point too as it will help you play around with lists and see rules at a glance (no substitute for a Codex though).

I haven't settled on one yet, but I think I might be leaning towards Ultramarines. Big fan of their paint scheme. But I'll have to do some research and see what benefits there are to each. Any suggestions are welcome. 

Uuuuuuultrasmuuuuuurfs.

Personally, I think if you're going to do a "vanilla" First Founding chapter, Imperial Fists is the better option. BUT, if you're willing to shell out money on Guilliman or you want easy access to decals, Ultrasmurfs are a good option.

Alternatively, if you want something with spice, the Space Wolves and Blood Angels are great. Blood Angels have lots of special characters (plus special Dreadnoughts, including the only psyker Dreadnought type in all of 40k) and Space Wolves have weird but cool chapter structuring. This is the kind of game where you can kinda do whatever you want, but I highly recommend Imperial Fists, Space Wolves or Blood Angels. Again, look into the lore of the different chapters (I'd look into the various First Founding chapters, plus Blood Ravens) and pick what's right for you, and remember that since you have Primaris, you can run them as ANY chapter.

Uuuuuuultrasmuuuuuurfs.

Personally, I think if you're going to do a "vanilla" First Founding chapter, Imperial Fists is the better option. BUT, if you're willing to shell out money on Guilliman or you want easy access to decals, Ultrasmurfs are a good option.

Alternatively, if you want something with spice, the Space Wolves and Blood Angels are great. Blood Angels have lots of special characters (plus special Dreadnoughts, including the only psyker Dreadnought type in all of 40k) and Space Wolves have weird but cool chapter structuring. This is the kind of game where you can kinda do whatever you want, but I highly recommend Imperial Fists, Space Wolves or Blood Angels. Again, look into the lore of the different chapters (I'd look into the various First Founding chapters, plus Blood Ravens) and pick what's right for you, and remember that since you have Primaris, you can run them as ANY chapter.

I'll definitely check out Imperial Fists. From what I know of the lore for Space Wolves and Blood Angels, they're interesting but not quite what I had in mind. Who knows, I could change my mind if I read up a bit more. Thanks for the advice!