Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New Keeper of Secrets and Slaanesh Daemon/Follower Models

• Please log in to reply
360 replies to this topic

Sersi

Sersi

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 633 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars

True, just leave the wave-y bit out and it's just an ordinary Slaanesh symbol. Maybe if you are crafty fill it with clear resin or something too.

The Keeper is pretty crap for 40k unfortunately. If you don't go first it'll just get blasted off the board turn 1 by your opponents anti-tank. There was hope that the Aegis could help out there but with just a 6+++ I'd rather take any of the other options, really.

Shalaxi Helbane isn't really convincing either since she relies on rolling 6s or just generally well on the damage stat of the spear. S12 is overkill against most characters too.

The only great thing about her is the 6" pile-in move TOWARDS CHARACTERS. So if she miraculously survived long enough to make a charge you can declare some near unit and a character within 6" as your targets, then charge the random unit and then pile-in away from it into the character you want to kill.

Considering that any KoS will be very low on wounds if it gets to charge something I think I'll prefer the regular Keeper with Sinistrous Hand and the relic Witstealer Sword though so it can heal itself up to get shot at another day.

Syll'Esske is as we've already known just awesome and I'll definitely be taking them at 210p.

Contorted Epitome seems great too. No point value for that one yet but as character with <10 wounds, a bunch of attacks and still the Herald aura (so it actually has S6 attacks!) it's basically another no-brainer for me. Between this and Syll'Esske I wonder why I should ever take a regular Herald ever again unless I'm low on points.

I agree on the Keeper vs Shalaxi being forced to take the Aegis gimps her and Soul Piercer isn't worth it over Witstealer.  That said you do have the option of popping Warp Surge if you don't get turn 1 or you can always Deepstrike or Summon her.  Alhough anything other than Summoning is going to be expensive in terms of CP.

Syll'Esske is an auto take in my opinion at 210 pts. 

The Contorted Epitome I'd always take one, most likely two in my lists. No reason to bother with the Index Heralds now. I can't believe they made the thing Calvary. The Contorted Epitome is as fast as a winged Daemon Prince, has character protection, and can prevent any unit including flyers from falling back within 6". Is a Psyker capable of casting to powers and does 2X S6/AP-2/Damage 3 attacks and 8X S6/AP-1/Damage 2/Wound rolls of 6+ count as AP-4 attacks hitting on 2's. Nevermind, its +1S aura, and 2+ save vs mortal wounds. The things a beast.  Its basically a flying Daemon Prince with excellent bonus abilities. You can also proxy the mirror from the Endless Spells kit as a second Contorted Epitome.

• Fulkes likes this
"Fear the cute ones!"

Hellebras

Hellebras

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 193 posts
  • Faction: Imperial Fists, Word Bearers

I'm not sure I'd count the Keeper out, actually. I'm looking to play around with summoning, and it seems like it could be an interesting choice for a Daemonic Ritual. At PR 13, you can bring one in fairly reliably even without re-rolls using a Master of Possession, which isn't the case for the other greater daemons. That gives it a better chance of reaching combat without getting shot off the board. I don't know that it'll be the best choice, but I think you could definitely do a lot worse.

Edited by Hellebras, 27 April 2019 - 10:32 PM.

sml_gallery_81492_11492_822.pnggallery_45765_12908_1745.pnggallery_45765_12339_1383.pnggallery_45765_12339_6416.pngsml_gallery_48988_16308_4210.png

Sersi

Sersi

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 633 posts

A bit surprised that the Herald on Syll'Esske doesn't have anything covering her ass.

Yeah, I know, I notice the weirdest details.

Well, we are being treated to an up-skit shot, so in a way it makes sense. whistling.gif  The important thing here is the are no exposed breasts, that would be a bridge to far.  biggrin.png

"Fear the cute ones!"

Sersi

Sersi

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 633 posts

I'm not sure I'd count the Keeper out, actually. I'm looking to play around with summoning, and it seems like it could be an interesting choice for a Daemonic Ritual. At PR 13, you can bring one in fairly reliably even without re-rolls using a Master of Possession, which isn't the case for the other greater daemons. That gives it a better chance of reaching combat without getting shot off the board. I don't know that it'll be the best choice, but I think you could definitely do a lot worse.

Summoning might indeed be the way to go.  So, if you want to go Mono-god Slaanesh Chaos Daemons don't forget the Infernal Enrapturess's +3 bonus to summoning rolls.

"Fear the cute ones!"

DeStinyFiSh

DeStinyFiSh

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 861 posts

The Prince is a freakin monster!
Not only the Prince and Herald aura and a killer CC profile, but also a psyker and a solid moral boost, especially when combined with big blobs of Daemonettes and Icons. Totaly worth 210 points!

Epitome is a big surprise for me. Looks kind of static and like a support thingy but is actually fast as censored.gif and hits like a brig in CC (which it should reach safely).
For me an auto include for a fast Slaanesh Aura, Psy support and keeping enemys locked in CC.

KoS is no suprise at all... same problem as before, you wont reach CC. I will use my Zarakynel as KoS with the Hand and at some point I will get the new KoS just because the model is amazing. Propably with the whip, best damage output I think. Aegis is not worth 10 extra points.

All in all a cool release, Prinze and Epitome will help (Slaanesh) Daemons a lot but they wont shake up the tournament meta I guess.

Edited by WarriorFish, 28 April 2019 - 05:57 PM.
Do not dodge the swear filter

01RTB01

01RTB01

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,057 posts
Several things here:

1) I'm convinced that the demons and an EC codex will be coming soon. There's a load of new stuff not yet in a codex - including the infernal rapturess. Logically... a codex with emperor's children shinies and demons would solve that problem :)

2) the KoS is a stunning model and may not be use in a competitive setting but for casual play I don't see why people wouldn't use them.

There is a thing called LoS blocking scenery and big stuff doesn't just immediately die. Multiple threats also force opponents to act in certain ways as do missions taking place. I won't write it off just because "it'll die easily". You could argue that with any substantial points sink.

If I decide to run a KoS, Morty and guo they aren't all dieing in one turn!

3) the contorted epitome is nuts really. Expected a support piece and points dependent it'll be up with seekers and fiends. Crazy times!

Regardless of all this, cracking set of models and I look forward to running them alongside my evolved 3rd legion legionaries
Signature not compliant with forum rules.
Hidden Content

Panzer

Panzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,076 posts
  • Faction: Order of Baal, Dal'yth Sept

Summoning might indeed be the way to go.  So, if you want to go Mono-god Slaanesh Chaos Daemons don't forget the Infernal Enrapturess's +3 bonus to summoning rolls.

Summoning and deep striking helps a little bit but for the most part it just delays the problem instead of solving it. The Keeper of Secrets would still need to make a 9" charge which is very unlikely and if it fails it's standing there a round to get shot at. Not to mention that it's usually too late for an expensive melee unit to come in turn 3 to make a real difference in the outcome of the game.

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpggallery_62972_10568_4118.jpg

Closet Skeleton

Closet Skeleton

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,648 posts

Greater Daemons will be fine in allied into daemon engine heavy army with target saturation. You could also use one as a fire magnet in a chariot heavy army.

I'm buying a epitome with those stats.

I agree on the Keeper vs Shalaxi being forced to take the Aegis gimps her and Soul Piercer isn't worth it over Witstealer. 

Shalaxi isn't forced to take the Aegis, she has an option for a whip instead, its the hand or dagger she can't have.

• 01RTB01 and Panzer like this

01RTB01

01RTB01

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,057 posts
14" move, advance and charge means turn one charges generally unless someone is sat very deeply. In that instance you can snaffle objectives instead.

Also if you're shooting the KoS you're not shooting my las havocs or noise marines which will look forward to double tapping :)
Signature not compliant with forum rules.
Hidden Content

Panzer

Panzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,076 posts
  • Faction: Order of Baal, Dal'yth Sept

Yeah in a chaos soup the KoS will shine. Pure daemons don't offer enough target saturation unless you spam Greater Daemons though.

14" with advance&charge is still a risky turn 1 charge though as you'd have an average threat range of just barely 24" and being able to get into melee turn 1 won't protect you against shooting if you don't go first. It's doable but it's a gamble. An expensive one at ~250p.

• 01RTB01 likes this

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpggallery_62972_10568_4118.jpg

Fulkes

Fulkes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,323 posts
  • Faction: Templars, Sisters, Chaos
GW definitely seems to want me to sacrifice my wallet to the dark gods this year. First off was the CSM release that finally upadated the core of the range to match thd rest of the range, and now this.

My favorite part of this release has to be the story of Syll’Esske and how the internet seems to be headcanonning them into a loving married couple which just comes across as adorable.

I've found the new Keeper of Secrets a favorite pretty fast (I almost want to say it has a bit of a Cenobite feel, but that fesling might just be coming from the tights on models like the Fiends and Masque who wear tights that turn into part of their body).

Overall this release has done a lot to pique my interest while giving the Slaanesh line some much needed support to its core that was missing. I feel like mono-Slaanesh has a stronger presence on the table now and could make for an interesting army project.

Which takes me back to sacrificing my wallet and likely not finishing the Word Bearers I started on anytime soon.

Anyone else looking forward to the Warhammertv painting videos so we can see more model details?
  • 01RTB01 likes this

My company inform me that their new primaris brother just don't fit in the safety harnesses. And the Chaplain won't let us ride unless we buckle up.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users