Primaris Alpha legion army

Hello everyone.
Here are my primaris legionnaires.
I'm beeing often asked "Why are you painting you primaris as Alpha legion, that is bad lorewise,stupid and blablabla"
Firstly i have a big 30k alpha legion army (you can check it here) and i want to play them in 8 edition. But as they do not look as a chaos legion at all (like really - not a single tentacle ot horn in the whole army) and i do not want to buy those chaos units like cultist or daemons, i decided to play them as space marines using Reven guard trait

Secondly, if i paint them as, say carcharodons, it would be super weird to see space sharks guys desembarking from a thunderhawk in Alpha legion colors. I basically will not be able to play some of my heresy-era units.
Thirdly, i really like primaris models (apart from supressors - those guys are weird)

So i decided to make my version of loyal alpha legion (duh) who stole primaris technology (or were given it by someone - you choose)

Here are my primaris

gallery_98206_13991_380190.jpg

gallery_98206_13991_709404.jpg

gallery_98206_13991_943500.jpg

And some wips
gallery_98206_13991_414604.jpggallery_98206_13991_281293.jpg
gallery_98206_13991_49496.jpg

gallery_98206_13991_138112.jpg

gallery_98206_13991_198913.jpg

gallery_98206_13991_106295.jpg

gallery_98206_13991_60769.jpg

Very nice. I must say, I'm slightly surprised that you're getting flakk for painting up your Primaris as Alpha Legion. I've seen several Primaris-based XXth (or *suspiciously XXth-like*) forces up here on B&C, posted on Reddit, and elsewhere in the last year and a bit. I'd actually go so far as to say it seems to have become something of a movement. And one that makes eminent sense, too - I mean, going off the Alpha Legion's mysterious ability to purloin/prototype Mk.VI armour [or something rather like it] despite never having been anywhere near it etc, as well as their taking of Corax's research material , all during the Heresy - it's certainly 'fluff-reasonable'. 

It also helps, of course, that the Alpha Legion upgrade bitz go strikingly well with the overall Mk.X aesthetic; even if some of the heads, in my experience, have a bit of difficulty with the tight raised collars of the chestpieces at some angles. 

You've done some pretty nifty yet subtle conversion-work too, I see - for example, the tartaros terminator power-sword arm on the chap with the headhunter head. The Aggressors also look very decently brutal , yet er .. i don't think "subtle" is quite the right word, but they look legit with that paintjob, and i'm rather impressed with the discolouration on the gun barrels on the repulsor. 

The dragon's teeth made out of resin sprue are quite a solid idea, as well.

Keep up the good work, by all means! And I look forward to see what you do with some of the other parts of the range like the eliminators. 

Your guys look great. I have done a similar thing with my Alpha Legion kill team. I've added a few subtle bits of trim and scales on them as well as convert some helemts to the similar styling as the hunter teams, added some spikes trim as even before the heresey some legiones seemed to have this asthetic.

I've also gone and done the opposite with an AL army I've just started and de-chaosified (scrubbed off all the blatant chaos iconography and excessive spikes) from the shadowspear box ( dunno what I will do with the possesed, swap or sell perhaps.

I think it's well within the fluff for the AL. Their marines are described as the taller then average marine, as tall as their primarch, even of he was shortest of all prinarch. So even if they didn't have access to all the primaris upgrades (which they probably do because it's the Al and God knows which chapters of loyalists are under their thumb that they could persuade to send then some samples *cough* omega marines *cough*).

They could probably use the primaris armour, even if it's with some painful surgery to stretch them a few more inches.

I too prefer the Al to look like loyalists or at least not outright evil. More like the shroud of night cover art. They could easily pass as both sides.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The cloaked Space Marine is a GREAT concept, but one difficult to pull off- I thought the flickering cloak was just battle damage scraping off a layer of paint the Alpha Legion infiltrator put on his armor, to disguise himself. Edited by Bjorn Firewalker

The cloaked Space Marine is a GREAT concept, but one difficult to pull off- I thought the flickering cloak was just battle damage scraping off a layer of paint the Alpha Legion infiltrator put on his armor, to disguise himself.

It's even worse, when you look at the model on the table. IT basically looks dirty)) I'm thinking on how to improve that effect now. Maybe making blue parts bigger wiil help.

The cloaked Space Marine is a GREAT concept, but one difficult to pull off- I thought the flickering cloak was just battle damage scraping off a layer of paint the Alpha Legion infiltrator put on his armor, to disguise himself.

It's even worse, when you look at the model on the table. IT basically looks dirty)) I'm thinking on how to improve that effect now. Maybe making blue parts bigger wiil help.

I think it looks bang on! I reckon once the base is done, and a little work on the gun, giving it a similar effect, it'll really pop.

I would make the blue parts bigger. Maybe it would also help if the "lightning" part / the changing line was broader.

But it looks already great! Too bad I lack the skills to try the cloaking technic myself

Edited by DeRome90

I think DeRome90's bang on the money with the suggestion of making the blue areas bigger -- that would also make it look more like the armour's cloaking function is just being (de-)activated. Plus I'd suggest painting the line/little lightning that separates the camouflaged area from the actual AL scheme in a different colour, maybe a bright blue, to make it look unlike chipped paint. Many people are using a similar effect for their T'au stealth suits (there's an entire gallery here that might help).

I just turned up to join the chorus of people who're thinking that the cloak effect is legit! 

The light-blue/white highlighting gave the effect of a cloaking field, rather than paint-scraping, i thought - but it might just be me. 

And in any case, as soon as it's mentioned that that's what it is .. yeah, you can almost picture it happening. 

Very cool and I look forward to seeing what you do with the rest of the grey camo 

I really like the scheme you chose, and I don't see a thing wrong with the lore/background for your army. Ignore all the haters, the beauty of the hobby is you can't paint your armies any color or scheme you would like, and make up any lore you want.

There are numerous instances for "traitor legions" still having loyalist contingents. If anyone knows anything about the Heresy, none of the Legions fell as an all or nothing type betrayal. Many of them had in fighting, so who's to say the Alpha Legion didn't?

I look forward to seeing more of your work going forward.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...