Our best bet

newdigitalGK

Psybolt should be wargear, not a stratagem or psychic power. Only available on infantry models and only affects stormbolters.

Our psychic powers should be either possible to cast multiple times or work like an aura, each unit within 3” is affected (obviously not both).

Get rid of the mortal wound powers.

Power 1 = Hammerhand

Power 2 = Gate

Power 3 = Sanctuary

Power 4 = +1 to hit until next psychic phase

Power 5 = -1 to be hit until next psychic phase

Power 6 = Astral Aim

Give everyone an extra attack, make Swords improve saves (armour and invulnerable to a max of 3++) in close combat, Halberds reduce the number of attacks against us in combat, to a minimum of 1 (cumulative, so if a unit has 5 halberds it takes 5 less attacks from a unit it is in combat with. The idea being they can keep them at bay with the added reach). Falchions give an extra 2 attacks (2 chainswords give 2 extra, no reason for Falchions to not do the same). Stave gives reroll all failed saves. Hammer stays the same. Obviously price them accordingly.

Edited by Holier Than Thou

^ Chainswords have no AP - unlike Falchions which have AP-2 AND d3 damage.

No cleansing/purifying flame iteration at all for a psychic power?

Chainswords are free, Falchions cost, same as all the weapons, are baked in to our cost. Plus, I said price them accordingly. If we actually have good things, I don’t mind us being expensive pointswise. We shouldn’t be flooding the board with models so points reductions are not the answer, in my opinion.

And no, I don’t think we need any boring MW powers, we need powers that actually make us better. It’ll never happen but I would love to see MWs removed from the game.

Having all the NFW costed differently opens a whole new can of worms imo. Having them appropriately costed (assumingly to make them as equally valuable as each other) isn't that obvious either.

Say, with your suggested NFW abilities how would you cost them? Considering the Daemonhammer is 13 points as is, what would be the next expensive weapon after that, and so on?

Right now, while they're not perfectly balanced they are at clearly distinct levels with the alternating AP- and +S values, and having them cost all the same bar the hammer. We already know that Halberds at 3A is approx. = or > Twin Falchions at 4A. While Twin Falchions at 3A > Halberds at 2A. Force Sword is generally inferior to both, so a tweak in the form of a bonus rule would help them "catch up" to be an adequate alternative. Additionally, Halberds could use a bonus rule (as other have been suggesting) just to be more "even" with Twin Falchions at 2A vs 3A respectively. Force Staves excel over the others against T3 units with low armour saves, so it dose have its niche. A bonus rule/buff wouldn't hurt, though whole squads aren't usually modelled with Staves anyway (1 provided per 5-man set) so its not a top priority that they have to be as appealing as the rest.

BUT, once you throw in Twin Falchions giving a bonus +2A instead of +1A...you'll basically have to start from scratch balancing the Halberd/Sword/Stave in line with that (along with their separate points).

Edited by Waking Dreamer

Assuming Grey Knights got my above suggestions (extra attack, cast in an aura but vehicles cannot be affected other than Dreadnought and Dreadknights, no buffing Land Raiders or Stormravens, etc), I think our current base cost of 19 points is fair. Add a Stormbolter with Psybolt ammo, Deathwatch pay 4 for theirs with SIA, which is far superior to Psybolt but let’s say 3 points for ours. So 22 so far. Then melee weapons, with the above special rules plus successful invulnerable saves must be rerolled but I would change them to all have the same base profile, all strength user, AP-1, damage 1 which improves for the more elite units. So Justicars add 1 to strength and-1 to AP, any Elites choices add the same plus 1 to damage too, Grandmasters and Librarians add 2 to strength and damage and -2 to AP as the heavyweights of the Chapter.

I would say sword, halberd and stave could be 3 points, falchions 5.

Hammers could go to 15points, keep the current strength x 2, base 3 damage and -3 AP but Grandmasters and Librarians add half their usual bonuses, so it would be strength 9, AP-4, damage 4 in their hands.

So before adding weapons, I would say the below points values would be reasonable if we got my proposed changes.

Strike Marine, Purgator, Purifier - 19

Terminator - 28

Interceptor - 23

Paladin - 39

Everything else stays at it’s current cost (plus rule change for Incinerators and all Flamer weapons, they can always fire overwatch).

Disclaimer: I think several similar weapons in other Codices also need to drop, ie a Heavy Bolter is never worth 10 points with it’s current profile, I would drop it to 8 and make it rapid fire 3) and Thunder Hammers aren’t worth 21 either.

I'm honestly not a great fan of an aura cast for Grey Knights. GK (or any Marines for that matter) aren't very many units on the board so they need to spread out more to cover more of the board which directly contradicts trying to keep units in aura ranges. Hence why you see many Marine armies acting as one big ball of power armour currently which is pretty lame imo. Marines should be able to act more independently so you can drop one or two squads away from your main force without problem instead of having them all hug eachother.

I see it more encouraging small pockets rather than one big blob, could even make the aura smaller to ensure it's not used to squeeze the entire army into it. I just think it would address the current ridiculousness of a Grand Master potentially teleporting away from his retinue of Paladin bodyguards or vice versa.

Nah I think aura powers would be broken. So maybe restrict it to certain powers. Otherwise you'll just get people bunching everything up together to give all the units all the buff at the same time, then just gate everything around the table at once with one cast.

I doubt greatly that a bunch of 4++ overcosted terminators will break anything. So is gating them or giving them ignore LoS. There are stuff that is way more broken in the game.

In AoS Death Wizards with certain allegience can apply magic effect twice if the cast was 9+. I think, GK could get something similar, without breaking rule of 1. It would be better in a form of stratagem, not tied to a warp charge value. It would give us way more flexibility.

Multiple units using GoI, Sanctuary and Astral Aim would improve our army substantially, but since we are starting from the bottom no way would we turn the meta upside down. It's in our fluff that fighting together - all as psykers, that we become way more effective in battle by psychically buffing one another.

Their should be some prerequisites though, as it needs to primarily improve a "Grey Knights army"...and NOT become the next "hit flavour" for everyone's Imperium soup. Yuck. Lol

Maybe It requires:

1. The army Warlord to be Grey Knights

2. Over half of the army (points) also need to be Grey Knights

It makes sense that only when the leader your following is GK, surrounded by other GKs as the majority on the field, that your psychic communion reaches the level of multiple GK units benefiting from Sanctic powers.

Eh... I just hope we get anything! Rules wise or model wise.... I mean rules are nice and all, but we don't even have a generic grand master model!

There's other marine factions with numerous versions of their captains and chapter masters ect. But we get 1 version of our grand master, and hes a named guy. And 1 version of a bro cap.

The exact same marine kit and terminator kit for all our options...

Eh... I just hope we get anything! Rules wise or model wise.... I mean rules are nice and all, but we don't even have a generic grand master model!

There's other marine factions with numerous versions of their captains and chapter masters ect. But we get 1 version of our grand master, and hes a named guy. And 1 version of a bro cap.

The exact same marine kit and terminator kit for all our options...

I just received an order for 2 Brother Captains and 1 Stern model.  

These two models are FINECAST and I have to say the mold is crap now.    I think the GW has pushed the life cycle of the molds and finecast to something not usable anymore.  I have ordered other finecast models before (early in the release cycle) and haven't had problems but this set was abysmal for modeling purposes.

I think I will modify a terminator/paladin model to get Brother Captain or Grand Master models.

Mh, GW put into the codex ordinary chaplain and captain. Moreover the only way to make a GMDK different from regular DK is kitbashing it with voldus.

We do need a conplete new range of models. I’m quite sure that sooner or later GW will give us some kind of Primaris and a whole new range of miniatures.