Doom Scythe vs Doomsday Ark

Brother Navaer Solaq

I want to know from players here who play more with these units. In 8th edition.

Which is better after the Chapter Approved?

I would like to know since i am either taking the doom scythe for mobility and heavy hitting. The DDA has been pretty bad for me as of late.

While I can't speak much for either unit (as i don't own a doom scythe, and haven't played in a fair bit), I can say this.

Spending 1CP on putting the Doom Scythe into an auxiliary Sautekh detachment will save you many CP's throughout the game to negate the -1 on the main gun.

Everyone I've ever talked to about it has said this (and I suspect you'll find that sentiment backed up elsewhere in the forum).

The Doom Scythe loses much less potential firepower that way, and in general than the doomsday ark. I'm of the mind that it's less random in general, but I'd have to check.

In any case, I think the tesla destructors are a flat upgrade over the flux arrays. That alone might be worth it, depending on how you play.

DDA is better. Doom Scythe got better but it's max output is nowhere near as good as the DDA, plus the need for it to be Sautekh to even reliably get a single hit in.

I am beginning to come around on my Doom Scythe, which is wholesale unusable without the Sautekh code, but as a lone addition to a list I'd say the DDA is the better option. D6 shots is better than D3 and being able to stay put and make use of the Nihilakh code further increases its reliability.

Dice be dice though. Random shots on a single dice can be frustrating.

I like the Doom Scythe because it can move from just about anywhere to block enemy infantry and soak up some 'closest enemy unit' psychic powers (like smite), but mostly because it almost always works itself into advantageous positions. I've nuked a few characters off the board flying wholesale around and behind the enemy over three-ish turns. 

Archived