Comlementing Deathguard with Renegades

BlackTriton

I use to complement my Deathguard with Armiger autocannon to great effect.

They have the long-range punch I often need to get first blood; they are great against light vehicle and heavy infantry alike.

However, they always lacked synergy with the rest of the army, they do their thing and ignore whatever else im doing.

Now im looking at Havoc from the purge for the same role.

Their special rule is Bringers of Oblivion: You can reroll hit rolls for attacks that target a unit that has lost one or more wounds this turn.

this makes them very reliable to finish off anything the deathguard started and already we have more synergy.

They have a special stratagem that complement well the close range nature of the deathguard: All Life Is Worthless (1 CP): In the shooting phase, a PURGE unit not within 1" of enemy models can shoot enemy units within 1" of friendly units for that phase, but hit rolls of 1 hit the friendly unit instead

Making sure you get to use those heavy weapons is priceless.

You can take them into a devastation battery to layer those awesome rules on top:

Detachment warlord trait makes them even more reliable against vehicle: Armor Bane: All DEVASTATION BATTERY units within 6" of the Warlord re-roll 1s to wound when targeting VEHICLES. 

You can take this without having to give up Arc-Contaminator for 1CP.

But the real cake is the stratagem it unlocks: 

Punishing Volley (1 CP): Use at the end of your opponents first movement phase if you did not go first. Pick a DEVASTATION BATTERY unit from your army. That unit may shoot as if it were the shooting phase.

Now assuming a spearhead I would go with a mix of Heavy bolters, Autocanon, The new Chaingun (if you dont want the fortune they will be worth on Ebay) 

we could consider a few lascanon. maybe a Missile launcher for the flakk missile strat.

A squad of 2 HB and 2 AC would come around 110 and is a nice jack of all trade unit and the cheapest configuration.

For HQ Im thinking of skiping the chaos lord and go to Dark apostle for either the 5++ prayer or +1 to hit.  

Or a sorcerer for prescience and death hex.

All in all, that little package should come under 500 pt for a solid firebase that has a lot of tricks and are still nurgle theme!

What are your tough on this?

Solid write up. What do you think about Purge Oblits?

I really like All Life is Worthless for use with screening units of Nurglings and the like. The Purge trait is gravy too.

My warband is already painted in Apostles of Contagion colors and I have plenty of traitor guard... apparently it is time to go full Vraks :P

Archived