Brood Brothers detachment lists

Space Rat

Curious as to what people may be running in their BROOD BROTHERS detachments and if they are worth taking.

Also... probably stupid question, but can you run any individual units from the AM codex in GSC detachments, like you can with the <BROOD BROTHERS> units in the GSC codex? obviously won't gain any cult creeds or abilities, and also wont gain access to the AM strats by not having a dedicated Detachment. Means i wouldnt have to spend a CP on an AM Aux Spt Det.  

If I was building soupy GSC, I'd probably use similar Astra Militarum units in an Astra Militarum <brood brothers> detachment as I use in my Astra Militarum (AM) Army, depending on what the list I'm building would need:

• Indirect fire? Mortar HWTs (Heavy Weapon Teams), Wyverns, Manticores and Basilisks can fill this role.
  • Cheap chaff? Infantry Squads are very similar to brood brother infantry squads. Conscripts can provide even larger squads.
  • Airborne units? The Valkyrie is unfortunably the only flyer in the AM codex at the moment. It's a mix of anti infantry gunship and transport plane/VTOL/brick.
  • Orders? Company Commanders & Platoon Commanders
  • Meelee buff? Ministorum priests buff only AM units and without <catachan>, meelee is not a very good idea with AM.
  • Meelee? If you insist, Ogryn/Bullgryn are a bit similar to Aberrants. More squishy ans less strong though. Also ugly.
  • Tanks? AM has access to more Leman Russ variants. Also tank commanders.
  • Transports? Taurox, Chimera and Valkyrie can get AM infantry across the table
  • Special Weapons? Veterans, Special Weapon Squads, Command Squads and Scions are units which can wield multiple special weapons (and vets and scions have better BS)
  • Heavy Weapons? Sentinels and HWTs can bring lascannons or other heavy weapons. Infantry squads and Veterans can turn two soldiers into one HWT too.
  • Anti Air? The Hydra is a dedicated Anti Air tank, but the Hellhound is good at the role too.
  • Fast flamers? Scout sentinels w/heavy flamers are relatively cheap and get a scout move. Hellhounds have ranged flame cannons, are fast and explode (hopefully near the enemy)
  • Snipers? Ratlings are a dedicated sniper unit. Many other squads can take sniper rifles. Problem: compete with Sanctus, Kelermorph and Jackal Alphus.
  • Command points? Brood brothers only give you half CP, but 2 Company commanders and 30 infantry is still a cheap batallion points wise. Then again, Magus + Iconward + 15 acolytes gives full CP and has similar costs.
  • Lord of war? The baneblade chassis has various variants, from the 40 infantry transporting Stormlord to the titankiller Shadowsword. Not as good as knights and hard to fit in if you can only bring one AM detachment.
  • fun? The deathstrike missile launcher is the fun unit in the Astra Militarum codex (read: not very usefull/reliable). If you absolutely need a giant doomsday missile to maybe go off, this is the unit to pick.

If I'd go for soup, I'd use GSC for meelee punch and AM for shooting/clearing enemy screens.

Something to note is that the brood brother units from codex GSC can be used to get around the 3 datasheet limit, e.g. one could bring 3 units of cult leman russ in a GSC detachment and 3 units of leman russ from codex:astra militarum in an Astra Militarum <brood borther> detachment. Of course, the only unit worth bringing more of would be mortar HWTs maybe, as most other units tend to get pricy fast.

edit:

minor fixes/more detailed explanations

My new List  2k list

Rusted Claw

HQ

Patriarch

Acolyte w Relic Standard

Troops 

3x 10Neo w/ 7Shotgun 2Flamer 1Srgt

3x 10Neo w/ 7Autogun 2Mining Lasers 1Srgt

Elite 

3x 18Purestrain Stealers w/Talons

--

Brood Bros 

HQ 

Lord Commie

Psyker Bro 

Troops 

1x 30 Conscripts

Heavy 

3x 1Leman Russ Battle Tank, Hvy Bolter, no sponsons

--

Battle plan

Conscripts with Commie and screen the Tanks 

Autogun Neo's grab and hold objectives 

Shotgun Neo's screen the Purestrains, Patty, and Acolyte, all running up the field

thoughts? 

If you are going all shooty you should think about bringing an jackal alphus in the HQ

If you want to run that many 'stealers you should think about running them out of the tyranid codex as they are 3 points per model cheaper.

I am a strong advocate of running Leemanrusses in the HQ slot as tank commanders if you are taking a AM detachment. 20 points gets you access to orders and +1 ballistic skill.

Ob Sec stealers too with Nids.

I dont see a lot of reason to go Astra if youre just taking vanilla Russes, youre getting less CP that way.

If you WANT vanilla russes, take them GSC and then "Perfect Ambush" double shoot one when it comes out from under its blip.

Cult Leman Russ have cult ambush???

*flips through codex and re-reads datasheet entry*

Cult Leman Russ have cult ambush!!!

1CP (perfect ambush) to shoot twice, both during movement/arrival and during the shooting phase. Perfect ambush is bikers & infantry only, see post below

That would require one of the longer ranged variants to pull off but might be worthwhile even with non-commander BS.

edit:

And all the sponsons for maximum dakka.

edit2:

Mhh... with 4 shots, the Vanquisher could be usable. Naw, it still sucks compared to other variants.

Ob Sec stealers too with Nids.

I dont see a lot of reason to go Astra if youre just taking vanilla Russes, youre getting less CP that way.

If you WANT vanilla russes, take them GSC and then "Perfect Ambush" double shoot one when it comes out from under its blip.

Cant - its infantry and bikers only unfortunately. Would be cool if you could - like a tank in a concealed firing position.

1CP (perfect ambush) to shoot twice, both during movement/arrival and during the shooting phase.

*3CP

I only remembered about an hour after i read your post and got excited lol.

After playing some games vs some competitive lists i feel like Astra brand Brood Brothers might be the better option. Less CP but I would really love to get some heavier artillery in my lists. Cant go far wrong with a Tank Commander either.

Archived