Couple of Imperial Fists questions.

ServoBadger

I'be decided to do a small, all Primaris Imperial Fists army (I can't deal with how the Primaris look standing next to old marines, so my Blood Angels are going to stay pre-Primaris) and I have a couple of questions:

1. What's the attitude of the Imperial Fists to their Primaris battle brothers?

2. Is there a theme for naming individual Imperial Fists?

3. What BL books featuring the Imperial Fists would you recommend?

Thanks for any replies!

1. What's the attitude of the Imperial Fists to their Primaris battle brothers?

At this point (100+ years after the introduction of the Primaris) they have been fully integrated into the Chapter. There may be some points of friction at the individual level, but at the Chapter level, the Primaris are viewed as no less than the legacy Adeptus Astartes.

2. Is there a theme for naming individual Imperial Fists?

There is no theme. The Imperial Fists recruit from myriad worlds and their names span the spectrum - Lo Chang, Franz Grenstein, Von Reuter, Lexandro D'Arquebus, and others are names of Imperial Fists. You could use pretty much any naming convention. The only suggestion I would make would be to use diverse name types for your Imperial Fists, not sticking to any one culture/theme.

3. What BL books featuring the Imperial Fists would you recommend?

The pre-BL Space Marine by Ian Watson is great for presenting the Imperial Fists from a 1st edition point of view. There are some aspects of it that might be called into question with regard to their canon status, but the vast majority of that novel has formed the foundation of the current structure of the Chapter. Though I haven't read it, Sons of Dorn by Chris Roberson is sort of an effort to modernize that structure. If you enjoy the Horus Heresy setting, pretty much all of the Imperial Fists novels/stories should also be read (I especially enjoyed The Crimson Fist by John French). The Beast Arises series is also highly recommended as a view of a watershed event that casts the known history of the Imperial Fists in a whole new light.

Imperial Fists aesthetics are lightly based on ancient Greeks, and you can take naming ideas from there. Phalanx, Alexis, Spartean, Kestros, Archamaus, Lysander, Pharos, etc. As stated above though, this is really not hard and fast (just look at Sigismund which is Germanic and Camba Diaz/Pedro Kantor which is Spanish) so you can use anything and everything you like.

Archived