Throne of Skulls Tournament Report

So I'm back from the Throne of Skulls event at Warhammer world. Sisters went 2 wins 3 losses, but a couple of the losses were very close and we could have easily gone 4-1 if the cards were even slightly different.

Game 1: Grey Knights.

In this game we were able to grab board control at the start and keep it. I found throughout the event that if we were able to get out into the mid board in turn 1-2 we would tend to do well, if not, we were in trouble. Against grey knights he didn't have enough units to stop me capping all the points, and the exorcists, immolators and Celestine had no trouble mopping up his units. Units of sisters do OK in combat against grey knights, but that says more about how awful grey knights are rather than how good sisters are. Win for the Sororitas 24-5 or something.

Game 2: World Eaters

Facing off against a Kytan, 2 blood stalkers, 2 contemptors, bloodletters and Berzerkers. Exorcists did work in this game, opening up both blood stalkers and keeping them from combat in turn 1. I got pinned in by the bloodletters a bit, but I was able to screen them out OK, away from the exorcists, and then sisters units deleted them with flamers and bolters. Kytan went down eventually, but not before it squashed Celestine twice. Ended up something like 9-8 to Chaos on the scores, we were playing the mission where essentially your opponent choses your cards, so very difficult to score highly.

Game 3: Death Guard

Lots of plague marines, three blight drones, and assorted characters. We were not able to bring the firepower on these guys enough. It took my whole army in the first turn to take out one bloatdrone, those things are disgustingly resilient. Another close game, score wise, we ended up on something like 13-12 to the Death Guard

Game 4: Space Wolves

3 stormwolves/stormfangs, bike characters and blood claws. Exorcists again able to take out the flyers fairly easily, and again he didn't have enough board control, so I swarmed the objectives. The highlight of this one was an immolator taking out Arjak Rockfist, two multimelta hits, two failed invulnerable saves, 11 wounds. Immolators with the flamers were the MVP here, they are so fast and able to put out decent firepower wherever they end up.

Game 5: Ultramarines

Faced a Guilliman and Helblaster castle, every guy we killed shot back, guilliman tore through the lines, and we had some abysmal dice rolls, including only wounding once from about 14 hits with blessed bolt storm bolters, turned a definite kill on an intercessor squad into one death... almost tabled in this one, which was the only game where the opponent got close. Sisters squads, especially in tanks or cover are surprisingly sticky.

Final thoughts, Acts of Faith were fairly useless. I often failed to get it off, or passed and then would have accomplished the goal anyway, or where the rolls screwed me over such as rolling a one for the faith roll to pass morale, then rolling a six on the morale test. Or getting off Divine Guidance then rolling all 3+s anyway. Celestine passed a couple of fight twice tests, then destroyed her opponent with the first roll... They feel far too minor and unreliable to plan around. On the other hand, strategems I think are solid. I loved using Vessels on my exorcist castle, and I saved myself a couple of times with the psychic deny strat. Blessed bolts was ok, but my dominions tended to die quite fast.

Overall I had a lot of fun playing this army. When it works, we're a tough, fast, relatively killy force for these casualish games. Not sure how "competitive" it would be against the tougher lists.

Thanks

It's here; I must say I forgot my order conviction 99% of the time...

+++ Xjsiwkwwkwnsb (Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) [101 PL, 1748pts] +++

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Adepta Sororitas) ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Order Convictions: Order: Valorous Heart

+ HQ +

Canoness: Bolt pistol, Power sword

Celestine

+ Troops +

Battle Sister Squad

. . 3x Battle Sister

. . Battle Sister w/ Special or Heavy Weapon: Meltagun

. . Battle Sister w/ Special Weapon: Flamer

. . Sister Superior: Bolt pistol, Boltgun

Battle Sister Squad

. . 3x Battle Sister

. . Battle Sister w/ Special or Heavy Weapon: Heavy flamer

. . Sister Superior: Bolt pistol, Combi-flamer

Battle Sister Squad

. . 3x Battle Sister

. . Battle Sister w/ Special or Heavy Weapon: Meltagun

. . Sister Superior: Plasma pistol

Battle Sister Squad

. . 13x Battle Sister

. . Battle Sister w/ Special or Heavy Weapon: Multi-melta

Battle Sister Squad

. . 8x Battle Sister

+ Fast Attack +

Dominion Squad

. . 4x Dominion

. . Dominion Superior: Boltgun, Plasma pistol

. . Dominion w/ Simulacrum: Simulacrum Imperialis

. . Dominion w/ Special Weapon: Meltagun

Dominion Squad

. . Dominion Superior: Bolt pistol, Boltgun

. . Dominion w/ Special Weapon: Storm bolter

+ Heavy Support +

Exorcist

Exorcist

Retributor Squad

. . Retributor Superior: Bolt pistol, Boltgun

. . Retributor w/ Heavy Weapon: Heavy bolter

+ Dedicated Transport +

Immolator: Twin multi-melta

Immolator: Twin multi-melta

Immolator: Immolation Flamer

Immolator: Immolation Flamer

Sororitas Rhino: Storm bolter

• 3 weeks later...

Congrats on the fun! Your list looks really solid and you went against some tough armies, a shame you didn't get any eldar or necron players.

Gonna have to disagree on this a little bit. Deathguard are the only really meta relevant army that was played, and they're not exactly top tier. The rest are mostly funsies armies.

As for the list, it's got excellent board control, great durability and a bit of punch, but there's a bit of fat on it that could be trimmed down. There's never really a reason to take a regular flamer, stormbolters do roughly the same damage for 5 points less and heavy flamers are usually worse than heavy bolters on footslog squads. It also looks like he's trying to go for holy trinity, which is just a bad idea. It's actually a terrible stratagem that offers almost nothing over a more sensibly equipped squad.

What I would do personally is drop all the flamers for stormbolters and put all the meltas into the same squads. Then drop 1 BSS squad to upgrade the rhino to a repressor. Getting a second SB dominion squad would probably be a good investment as well.

I've had a great deal of success with Holy Trinity. It's made my Troop squads a much more viable threat to anything they have faced, and by equipping each Troop choice to enable it to use Holy Trinity that has made it very flexible for me and its made it difficult for my opponent to nullify as he/she has to eliminate each of the squads to do so.