Help with themed list

War Angel

I’ve always loved starship troopers, it’s still my favorite movie. I’ve been wanting to build a nid army that I paint to look like arachnid warriors. I haven’t owned a tyranid codex since 3rd edition, could I get some assistance with what models would fit well into this theme. Also any help list building would allow me to keep my budget small and would be helpful.

Exocrines and maleceptors would make accurate gun bugs and brain bugs. Rippers for some of the tiny bugs and swarms of Hormagaunts/stealers for the regular ones with a few gargoyles thrown in. Maybe an acid spray tfex to mimic the big acid shooting bug.

You asked back in feb :happy.:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/354097-arachnid-counts-as/

Did you have any luck finding those models?

Trygon Prime = from the ground shooty bug

Tervigon = brain bug that can summon other bugs

Warriors with 4x scything talons = warrior bugs

Termagants = those small horseshoe crab things?

For fleets I'd go with Jormungandr. Trygons popping out large units of warriors fits with the troopers theme. 

I found some models, but the cheapest I could find where actually on shapeways, 12$ a model. I think they might be too big though. I’m also thinking I need to do some customization to make them appear more exoskeleton like. I’m not sure about the point size, but I would like to have some swarm coverage, a few big things to come out of the ground and a few big ones to march in (like in the screen from wispy outpost where they pull out) idk about flyers, in third gargoyles weren't that great.

What do nids have these days for larger tanks bugs that can spit acid?

There’s the Warrior bug, the Tanker bug , the Plasma bug, drone, Hopper, brain bug and Queen.

Drones could either be hormagaunts or termagaunts. I can’t remember which is which, but either would work because in the book they can shoot.

Warriors could be stabby gaunts, because there should be a swarm of them.

Tankers could be carnafex’s or whatever large monsterous bugs there are these days.

Plasma bugs just need some range, possibly indirect fire.

Hoppers could be winged warriors.

Brain bug.... any psyker would work.

Queen could be one of those knight equivalent things.

Whilst I can't add much to the discussion in terms of models/units, I often run themed lists in my chosen faction so hopefully I can provide other insight.

As fun as a themed list can be, it still needs to be somewhat effective on the table. You'll need CP to pull off your theme's tricks so a Battalion (at the very least) will be required and then the other Detachments can be packed with theme.

However, you'll also need support. For example, Sanguinary Guard wouldn't appear in an Death Company list but a dedicated DC tank might, equipped differently from the Death Company it rolls with. Look through your Codex to see what you feel fits and go from there :tu:

Any Tyranid list will generally be ok. If you want an optimised list, it doesn't really use many of those units.

The nid codex is decent, you can really just take what units you like, and you'll do ok as long as your meta isn't hyper competitive.

Archived