+ Necromunda: News, Previews and New Releases thread +

Ranulf

You may be able to buy the rules and the terrain separately online - there are resellers that buy boxes and split their contents.  I've bought the chaos side of Shadowspear and the slaanesh side of Wrath and Rapture that way, each for roughly 1/2 the cost of the respective boxes.

so far I've seen one seller on ebay basically selling the bits for close to $500us if I calculated correctly.

You may be able to buy the rules and the terrain separately online - there are resellers that buy boxes and split their contents.  I've bought the chaos side of Shadowspear and the slaanesh side of Wrath and Rapture that way, each for roughly 1/2 the cost of the respective boxes.

so far I've seen one seller on ebay basically selling the bits for close to $500us if I calculated correctly.

Undoubteldy you can get the rules from the boxed set via ebay or similar, at a premium price, but that is not the point. The Book of Ruin should have been the complete resource for cult related topics for Necromunda, whether you buy Dark Uprising or not. This includes the Uprising campaign. Instead we basically get the message 'want all the rules? Buy the box. Ta-ta.'

This aggrevates me immensely. 

Edited by Quantum

• 2 months later...

I'm not really sure how I feel about this latest release preview.

I like the models, especially the new 'Prospects' but I'm concerned about what direction this new book will take the game in.

It's still early days and we don't know exactly what is in the book, so we're left with more questions than answers at the moment. Will it replace the Goliath entry in Gangs of the Underhive? Is it an add-on or more of a source book? Will it be a must have or aimed solely at Goliath players?

My worry is that it will be all of these (there's mention of a Slave Ogryn gang) and that players may feel obliged to purchase this because of FOMO.

Necromunda has had some difficult birthing pains, first there was a Rulebook that felt rushed, then they released Gang War books for 5 of the 6 main houses (which sometimes contradicted the rulebook) but then they changed their mind about this approach and instead of releasing the final Gang War book, they released a half-hearted Delaque pamphlet that came with a White Dwarf.

After that Necromunda felt like it had come of age. The new Rulebook was much improved, The Gangs of the Underhive put all of the 6 houses into one book.

Then they had a steady release of source books covering Cults, Enforcers, Guilds, Venators, terrain, extended Trading Posts/Black Markets and a gamut of scenarios which were all optional but were really 'must haves' because of all the cool stuff they contain.

My worry is that this latest book may well signal the demise of the Gangs of the Underhive book as each House receives a new Gang War 2.0 book.

I'm on a lot of Necromunda FB pages and the question that gets asked the most is 'I'm interested in starting up in Necromunda, what books do I need to buy and in what order?'

The Answer varies depending on if they've bought Necromunda Underhive, Dark Uprising or are starting from nothing. Any game that is this complicated to get into is likely going to put prospective new players off.

Like I said, it's too early to make a call because we don't have many details, but I'm worried this may signal another change in direction which more likely to put potential players off rather than attract them. Hopefully I'm worrying over nothing because, despite its shortcomings, Necromunda is the best and most engrossing game  in the 40k universe. :biggrin.:

• 2 weeks later...

From the sounds of it, this will be an add-on to Gangs of the Underhive, not a replacement. My fear is that it takes ages to release the books for all gangs, so some get left behind.

It's an add-on/expansion that makes the force better/fluffier. Kind of like the Supplements for Codex: Space Marines (2019).

We also have the preview of House of Chains today

Confirmation of Forge World making the Slave Guild models (pictured are the Chain Lord, Shaklemen and two Pit Fighters):

64e7be02.jpg

Also a roadmap of the planned releases for Necromunda:

316522a8-1600x900.jpg

Edited by Gederas

Sooner have the promised Ash Wastes expansion instead of stuff that should have been in the Gang War books. Or how about finishing off minis we are waiting for (C'mon GW wheres my Stig Shambler?). I do like the way the Prospects actually look younger though, I wonder if the arms are interchangeable with the current plastic kit so we can have actual Juves and not kids who look about 30 in my gangs. 

@Castigator: I share your concerns.  Whilst it's nice to have the extra in-depth background, I don't like the idea of having another 6 books and sets of gang cards (apparently the Goliath cards are being updated and re-released with the book, so I assume the same will be true of the others) on the horizon over the next 18 months ... especially given the stuff from the old version that you'd expect to come along but haven't (outlanders), and some of the extras from the 3 most recent books that are missing (Stig Shambler, etc). :/

Edited by Firedrake Cordova

@Castigator: I share your concerns.  Whilst it's nice to have the extra in-depth background, I don't like the idea of having another 6 books and sets of gang cards (apparently the Goliath cards are being updated and re-released with the book, so I assume the same will be true of the others) on the horizon over the next 18 months ... especially given the stuff from the old version that you'd expect to come along but haven't (outlanders), and some of the extras from the 3 most recent books that are missing (Stig Shambler, etc). :/

Forge World, release books before releasing models for everything from existing books? Well that doesn't sound like them! *cough*Primarchs*cough*Legion-specific-units*cough*

I'm not too worried about the gang cards because we've stopped using them altogether. The game doesn't need them and we've found them to sour the gaming experience rather than enhance it.

The book looks like it will be everything that I thought it would be, so I'll probably get it (even though I don't play Goliaths) as I'll enjoy the background and we'll work the recommended territories into our perpetual campaign.

I still have that nagging feeling that GW is playing me though. Mainly because of the way they have chosen to roll these out as separate gang books that contain other material like the ogryn slave gang and the scenarios.

I would have preferred the additional material to have been in one book so it didn't feel like I have to buy gang books that I have no intention of playing. But hey, GW are a business and at least they're supporting the game.

I meant roll the additional material such as slave ogryns and scenarios into one book and have the house specific material as another gang book.

Then if people want that specific gang they can buy that particular gang codex (at a lower cost) and those who just want the additional material can buy that in a source book.

In case folks missed the latest announcement for Necromunda:

gallery_45765_14340_199028.jpg

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/02/13/house-of-chains-ogryns-in-the-underhivegw-homepage-post-4fw-homepage-post-2/

Rules for these will be released in the House of Chains book and the multi-part plastic kit will come out at a later date.

That kit will probably make the "Jotuun" Grade-H Ogryn Servitor from Gangs of the Underhive as well. The weapons are the same (augmetic fist and arc welder). The Bounty Hunter mentioned in the WHC article that can also be made from the kit is the one that has artwork in Gangs of the Underhive. I guess he's managed to leave the Van Saar gang he was part of.

I like that these appear to be a different "subspecies" of Ogryn, as it were. They look different to the 40k Ogryns, and I'm a big fan of that. Ogryns are just supposed to be an almost cover-all term for "large, bulky genetically-stable offshoot of humanity", rather than a single race of not-ogres that spread across numerous planets.

I like that these appear to be a different "subspecies" of Ogryn, as it were. They look different to the 40k Ogryns, and I'm a big fan of that. Ogryns are just supposed to be an almost cover-all term for "large, bulky genetically-stable offshoot of humanity", rather than a single race of not-ogres that spread across numerous planets.

Never thought about it that way. I like it!

The Zerker model is hideous... and not in a good way. It's just a bad sculpt in my opinion. It's as if the sculptor could not decide if he wanted to go for a "cartoonish" style or as hellish true-dystopian style. The result seems to me like a bad joke... What a missed opportunity there.

I kind of like the Chain Lord / Goblin King  and the Shackle man / Baron Harkonnen (although it took me a while) and I certainly like the Pit fighters - great sculpts both..

The Zerker model is hideous... and not in a good way. It's just a bad sculpt in my opinion. It's as if the sculptor could not decide if he wanted to go for a "cartoonish" style or as hellish true-dystopian style. The result seems to me like a bad joke... What a missed opportunity there.

I kind of like the Chain Lord / Goblin King  and the Shackle man / Baron Harkonnen (although it took me a while) and I certainly like the Pit fighters - great sculpts both..

I honestly think it's the paintjob. The unpainted model looks like a good enough base:

99550599042_GoliathZerker04.jpg

No worse than the other FW Necromunda models imo.

Cant stand this one, it's all wrong. The problem is that the detail is there, it's just all over the place failing to give it a coherent look. The proportions are wrong the face is a mistake in its own right. I just think the sculptor tried to be funny, then changed his mind and tried the grimdark approach. And failed at both. 

Agree to disagree I guess... :)

To be honest, i'm rather disappointed with most the House of Chain releases - which is a shame given how much I love the base Goliath models.

As far as the 'zerker goes, I think Artel W did a far better job with his 'Chemfist Brute'.

-Ran