+ Necromunda: News, Previews and New Releases thread +

Ranulf

I actually prefer the FW one. Something about the Artel one just doesn’t fit, for some reason that I can’t put my finger on. The FW one certainly isn’t pretty, but it’s not meant to be. 

I’m a bit annoyed that I’m probably going to order the Goliath stuff, and they’re my least favourite of the 6 original gangs. Bodes well for the next 18 months -.-

Edited by fire golem

Cant stand this one, it's all wrong. The problem is that the detail is there, it's just all over the place failing to give it a coherent look. The proportions are wrong the face is a mistake in its own right. I just think the sculptor tried to be funny, then changed his mind and tried the grimdark approach. And failed at both. 

Agree to disagree I guess... :)

The proportions being wrong is... kinda the point, though? These things aren’t created on purpose by House Goliath, they occur when something goes drastically wrong with the growth drugs the Goliaths rely on. They’re supposed to be pitiful things that in all rights should be put out of their misery. Artel’s model is just the Goliath equivalent of Bane.

I actually prefer the FW one. Something about the Artel one just doesn’t fit, for some reason that I can’t put my finger on. The FW one certainly isn’t pretty, but it’s not meant to be. 

I’m a bit annoyed that I’m probably going to order the Goliath stuff, and they’re my least favourite of the 6 original gangs. Bodes well for the next 18 months -.-

I agree. The Artel one is too proportionate and I don’t think its legs or head fits the Goliath aesthetic at all. I’m not a fan of the FW guy’s head but other than that it’s fantastic.

The proportions being wrong is... kinda the point, though? These things aren’t created on purpose by House Goliath, they occur when something goes drastically wrong with the growth drugs the Goliaths rely on. They’re supposed to be pitiful things that in all rights should be put out of their misery. Artel’s model is just the Goliath equivalent of Bane.

There's a difference between "the proportions being wrong is the point" and the proportions being so funky that even Rob Liefeld would cringe at it. The way it is, my brain just doesn't want to accept that this thing could even stand up, much less walk or charge at an enemy. 

Using Mr. Hyde from the League of Extraordinary Gentleman as a quick example, this looks like it could actually function. 

sZSIdkR.png

This does not. 

c90Q7ob.png

Oh, and Artel's model at least resembles the published art. 

Ry0jho3.png

The art that shows one side of the body as far larger than the other, like the model? Look at the arms in the artwork. The models left arm is around twice the size of his right. He's also a hunchback. In other words, exactly what the model looks like. The only thing different is the head, and I'll agree that the models head isn't really good.

Here's the thing, 'Zerkers aren't really meant to properly function. They're the result of the dozens of different illegal procedures and drugs going completely out of control. That doesn't result in a perfectly-proportioned bigger and musclier guy than before. They're the Goliath equivalent of a Chaos Spawn. Artel's model, and LoEG, are examples of a Goliath Daemon Prince, they're just guys on super-'roids, not once-human abominations undergoing "rampant and uncontrollable muscle growth, spontaneous bone spur mutations, metabolisms that rage out of control and total loss of all higher brain function".

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hmm, not sure how I feel about this aspect of the Delaque. I'll wait to see how they handle it in their House Of book. Right now, we've already got Genestealer Cultists for those who want the "creepy cultists worshiping unknowable beings from beyond" angle. If this becomes the Delaque thing, then the only thing separating them becomes "one likes Tyranids".

Hmm, not sure how I feel about this aspect of the Delaque. I'll wait to see how they handle it in their House Of book. Right now, we've already got Genestealer Cultists for those who want the "creepy cultists worshiping unknowable beings from beyond" angle. If this becomes the Delaque thing, then the only thing separating them becomes "one likes Tyranids".

Weren't Delaque in the first version of Necromunda implied to be Genestaeler Cultists themselves?

I actually like this this aspect of Delaque; in Wh40k there is always room for another Old One.

That being said, I agree that it should be incorporated into their lore properly; having sold their soul to some eldritch abomination should not be their only aspect of their background. Worshipping Cuthulhu is all well and good, but they still need to bring creds to the table. People who've played the game 'Cultist Simulator' know what I mean.

The Delaque background in 'Gangs of the Underhive' was so vague it was comical. The relationship between house Helmawr and Delaque not known? I can get behind that. Delaque might have its origin in some otherworldly horror? Fine. A ruling council for vagueness that no-one ever sees. Peachy. But no info whatsoever on the daily going-ons of the lowly Delaque citizen? Not so good. It would seem that the existence of drudging and very ordinary Delaque helots is the biggest secret of them all.

The Orlocks upstaged the Delaque by sabotaging a Delaque pipeline. So Delaque clearly is involved in some very non-mysterious, very ordinary, and very routine industrial work. That needs to be part of their background.   

I’m with you Quantum, I like the creepy nature this narrative adds to the Delaque. I can’t remember which Necromunda novel I read the focuses on Delaques but this changes some of the canon feel a bit. They have definitely evolved quite a bit since the original Munda, but I’m cool with that. That’s what keeps it fresh.

I'll admit, I had zero interest in Goliath until I read House of Chains. If the quality of the lore for the house-specific books remains consistent, then I'm sure Delaque will get their due.

Same here. They have their work cut out for them to do the same with Escher for me, though. :)

I mean, I'm not opposed to it, and I fully believe that the House Of book will be able to salvage this. It's just that, as Quantum points out above, we've already got enough "ooh, these guys are spooky and mysterious" without being given any actual solid information, and now we're being given even more spooky and mysterious without solid information.

We need some proper details on them, not more "are they spies, or are they just pretending, or are they secret xenos worshipers, or are they now secret xenos Cthulhu worshipers?"

• 2 weeks later...