Space Marine Deserters

Some of the Fallen have done just that, some have even gone to ground "taking on the role of mortal men." (Latest reference for this in the updated Chaos Codex)

Yes, I know of at least two examples: One in Chris Pramas' The Black Pearl (published in the Let the Galaxy Burn anthology), one in Lee Lightner's Sons of Fenris. IIRC, the former worked as a mercenary; the latter was serving as commander of a planetary defense force.

Primaris are the shining new hope/model range, (so far) incorruptible, to contrast the chaos advance/model range in a black-and-white picture. Going renegade would mean diluting that picture, but as everything with GW and anything involving Ultras, that's not going to happen, everything will go by the book. Not to mention that the current fluff has them uninvolved in the complications by geneseed defects or the dark secrets Utter Loyalty of the Dark Angels, they're currently exploring how the newbies are integrating with the existing chapters and their kinks.

Lore-wise, this is comparable to the early stages of the Great Crusade - mankind's newly engineered armies sail out to reconquer the universe, and have enough external enemies to occupy themselves with. The bad stuff is likely to happen when the exposure to chaos is prolonged and/or the imperium has enough slack to start the infighting. There are no renegades yet, for there has been not much reason to go that path.

Well, good thing the Primaris Lore is NOT too young for such ideas to be explored.

Go read Emperor's Spears by A D-B.

Over the course of the novel it is revealed that:

The Emperor's Spears are entirely Primaris by now.

They hold their sector (over on the Imperium Nihilus side of the Rift) together with the few surviving/rebuilding Celestial Lions and a host of Black Templars, with the Celestial Lion Chapter Master having High Command, even with Imperial Navy vessels in use by the Chapters.

Close to the end of the novel, they send a "If the Mentor Legion, Inquisition, Assassinorum or anyone affiliated ever makes it through the pass in the Rift again, we will fire at them without warning"-message through the pass.

They have their justification for it obviously.

They also mention that they are the watchers of Elara's Veil now. They are the defenders of their sector and will defend it against ANYONE until their last man falls.

This makes them effectively renegades. (While still loyal to the "Imperium" or Mankind itself, mainly everyone living in the sector)

Mind you, they are cut off from the Rest of the Imperium anyway - and apparently cut-off from all other Imperial-loyal Chapters and other forces beyond their own sector, too.

I’ve always wondered how Fallen or renegades can fit into regular society. I mean space marines are much larger, and have non-standard augmentations.

Don't forget there are other huge "humans" like Ogryns, Goliath (Necromunda), even Custodes and who knows what else so even if it's with just a cloak they should be able to hide well enough.

I seem to remember the Ashen Claws going their own way during the Heresy after Corax sent them away. I believe they are still an active force in M41 and have dealings with the Space Sharks.

Yep. They're essentially a band of Astartes pirates at this point. The Carcharodons don't really like them and deal with them only when they have to.

I’ve always wondered how Fallen or renegades can fit into regular society. I mean space marines are much larger, and have non-standard augmentations.

Don't forget there are other huge "humans" like Ogryns, Goliath (Necromunda), even Custodes and who knows what else so even if it's with just a cloak they should be able to hide well enough.
Not to mention that it is unlikely that any given person on random Imperial world Q has actually seen a Space Marine, much less one out of armor, to be able to recognize them and all of the augmentations they have are on the inside of their body except the armor connection ports, so they could say almost anything and as long as they can be convincing about it, people will probably believe them. I doubt renegades/Fallen go around saying "I'm a Space Marine trying to run away and just be left alone."

So many weirdo's in the Imperium a space marine out of armour would go largely unnoticed in some backwater world. So boring when you could be Jack Sparrow in space, a chaos marine or heck just join the deathwatch as a blackshield. I mean really, you are either a fallen or an Alpha Legionary if you are living solo/small group in Imperial society incognito. 

Archived