Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Unorthodox paint schemes?

21 replies to this topic

Exilyth

Exilyth

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 237 posts
  • Faction: AM, SM

I think once they come out in plastic I'll be grabbing aquiring a squad or two of SoB (and a cannoness) to ally in as narrative reasons require.

Looking at the SoB images accompanying their rules in 3rd edition chapter:approved book and in the CA2018 beta codex,

it looks like paintschemes for the orders mostly consist of the following colors:

• black
  • red
  • gold
  • white
  • silver
  • combinations of the above

... which look good on the models. But with how paint scheme = rules with most (sub-)factions nowadays, I think I'll be better off rolling my own order with their own paint scheme.

I've looked at the sisters resources thread and found the thread http://www.bolterand...rting-love-etc/

which contains some great pictures and has some interesting alternative paint schemes:

• blue/white
  • blue
  • purple/white
  • silver/white
  • light gray/green

If anyone has/knows other alternative paint schemes for SoB, please do tell/post.

WH40k: Astra Militarum: ~2500 Pts, Space Marines: ~2000 Pts, ???: ~500 Pts

and if I had a camera, I'd post some pictures of them.

ValourousHeart

ValourousHeart

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,578 posts
  • Faction: Order of the Gossamer Shroud

This is an old photo, I later added some silver to the weapons to break up the bronze.

But GW has changed their paints since then, so I'm not sure if I'm doing something different this go round or just continue with this pattern.

med_gallery_8790_3236_1323196.jpg

• Exilyth likes this

Doctor Perils

Doctor Perils

++ CUNICULARIUS APOLOGUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 4,388 posts
  • Faction: Heretic Astartes (various)

Not got any pictures (or models for that matter... yet), but my DIY Sisters Order is going to be based on some hindu cultures, so I was planning on giving them saffron, yellow, red (and possibly other) Sarees, colour coded to Hindu symbolism depending on the sister's role in the order - this would make for a bright and colourful order, and could be a nice change of pace from classic Ordos Majoris

• Exilyth likes this

Ficinus

Ficinus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 448 posts

My Sisters are the reverse of ValourousHeart's, with the armour in red and the cloth in bone/beige.

• Exilyth likes this

Eddie Orlock

Eddie Orlock

++ FRATERIS TEMPLAR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,056 posts
  • Faction: Storm Angels

Our Lady of Perpetual Ammunition is painted black with gold trim and blue fabrics.

• Exilyth likes this
"Academic politics is the most vicious and bitter form of politics, because the stakes are so low."
- Wallace Sayre

The continued future of the Bolter and Chainsword is in your hands.

RandyB

RandyB

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 82 posts

Our Lady of Perpetual Ammunition is painted black with gold trim and blue fabrics.

I'm tentatively stealing that color scheme. Very nice!

Edited by RandyB, 06 April 2019 - 10:07 PM.

General Strike

General Strike

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,339 posts

Not got any pictures (or models for that matter... yet), but my DIY Sisters Order is going to be based on some hindu cultures, so I was planning on giving them saffron, yellow, red (and possibly other) Sarees, colour coded to Hindu symbolism depending on the sister's role in the order - this would make for a bright and colourful order, and could be a nice change of pace from classic Ordos Majoris

Not for the same theme, but I'm planning yellow armor and cream robes for my sisters once the new models drop.
  • Exilyth likes this

Slave to Darkness

Slave to Darkness

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,731 posts
  • Location:The Labyrinth, realm of limitless eternal pain and pleasure . AKA Kings Lynn, Norfolk.
  • Faction: Chaos and Wolves

Im thinking of using the colours I used for my old Bretonnian army, silver armour and a quartered yellow/black design on any cloth. Or maybe half black half red on the armour? Ahhh choices choices. 

• General Strike and Exilyth like this

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the centre of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

gallery_29004_9303_22505.png

Blog - Gates of Helvete

''Help! Help! I'm being repressed!!!'' - Dennis the Peasant, England. 932 A.D.

Atrus

Atrus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 764 posts
  • Faction: Order of the Penitent Spirit
My girls have naggaroth night purple armour with gold edge/trim and dark purple robes with red inlay and gold trim.
I've recently taken to making the leather corset shades of red, and gold on the studs and zip.
  • Exilyth likes this

Eddie Orlock

Eddie Orlock

++ FRATERIS TEMPLAR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,056 posts

I'm tentatively stealing that color scheme. Very nice!

If you're lucky I might be able to align the stars and actually post some pix, but I wouldn't hold your breath for the quality. Of either the photos or the paint work.

Also, there's a bunch of sand/crème/khaki involved on things like wings and purity seals and the recessed bits of tank armour.

"Academic politics is the most vicious and bitter form of politics, because the stakes are so low."
- Wallace Sayre

Slasher956

Slasher956

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 657 posts
  • Faction: OoOML, Ulthwé
Currently my girls are OoML ...but thinking of painting the armour either dark blue or purple...

Ezr91aeL

Ezr91aeL

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 284 posts
  • Faction: Custodes

When plastic sisters will come out I'll paint a full force of my home-brew order (the Order of the Celestial Retribution) in black and brass with yellow vests.

Edited by Ezr91aeL, 08 April 2019 - 08:45 AM.

• Exilyth likes this

XE7g3TN.jpg2NgmmVH.jpgYlmK7vQ.jpg

Servant of Dante

Servant of Dante

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,604 posts
  • Faction: Order of the Valorous Heart
You can do whatever combination of colors you want, but going off the major orders you’re right that the sisters use black, red, white, and then gold and silver trimming and basically nothing else for their colors. I prefer to stick to mixes of these colors when coming up with a color scheme for a minor order.
  • Exilyth likes this

Brother Tyler

Brother Tyler

++ FIDELIS MILITUS ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 20,171 posts
  • Faction: VIIth Legion
You might want to check out the Liber Sororitas Ordos Minoris and the Tabula Sororitas. Both include a number of DIY orders (the Liber Sororitas shows many while the Tabula Sororitas links to articles with pictures).

My own DIY Adepta Sororitas order is the Order of the Faithful Sword, which uses dark blue and metallic armour as the primary colors along with halved orange/white clothing.
  • Exilyth likes this

gallery_26_548_13550.pnggallery_26_6416_0.gifgallery_26_548_4494.png

Exilyth

Exilyth

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 237 posts

Thanks everyone - you've given me inspiration and a lot to think about.

Dr_Ruminahui

Dr_Ruminahui

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 585 posts
  • Faction: Emperor's 2nd cousins

I may be a bit late joining this thread, but mine are in blue and blue.

wXzIhkx.jpg

That said, when the plastics come out, I'm thinking of starting a new force with red armour, black robes & white linings - like how I did this inquisitor.

8pSc1u0.jpg

• ValourousHeart, Montford, Exilyth and 1 other like this

My IG/AM: http://www.bolterand...e-penal-legion/

My Sisters of Battle: http://www.bolterand...f-the-holy-book

My Chaos Marines (Emperor's Children): http://www.bolterand...erors-children/

gallery_4664_11830_9542.jpeg

Slave to Darkness

Slave to Darkness

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,731 posts
  • Location:The Labyrinth, realm of limitless eternal pain and pleasure . AKA Kings Lynn, Norfolk.
  • Faction: Chaos and Wolves

wXzIhkx.jpg

That said, when the plastics come out, I'm thinking of starting a new force with red armour, black robes & white linings - like how I did this inquisitor.

8pSc1u0.jpg

OOOO nice!

• Dr_Ruminahui likes this

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the centre of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

gallery_29004_9303_22505.png

Blog - Gates of Helvete

''Help! Help! I'm being repressed!!!'' - Dennis the Peasant, England. 932 A.D.

Slasher956

Slasher956

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 657 posts
  • Faction: OoOML, Ulthwé

@ Dr Ruminahui - I really do like the scheem on the Inq,

Exilyth

Exilyth

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 237 posts
Please don't hesitate - if you have a paint scheme which wasn't mentioned/showed yet, I'd be interested to hear/see it.

Different shades of the same color is something I didn't consider yet. Thank you.

Dr_Ruminahui

Dr_Ruminahui

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 585 posts
  • Faction: Emperor's 2nd cousins

OOOO nice!

@ Dr Ruminahui - I really do like the scheem on the Inq,

Thanks, I'm glad you like them.

Please don't hesitate - if you have a paint scheme which wasn't mentioned/showed yet, I'd be interested to hear/see it.

Different shades of the same color is something I didn't consider yet. Thank you.

Glad to know that they were helpful.

As shades of the same colour, I think it works better with cooler colours (like blues, greens and purples) than hotter colours (like reds, oranges and yellows) as hotter colours tend to blend together visually when next to each other.

As well, I think combining a cooler and a hotter version of the same colour works best, as it provides the highest contrast.  I think mine would have been better with a bit brighter light blue (or at least some warmer blue highlighting).

Finally, when you are doing variations of the same colour, contrasting spot colouring is even more important.  For my models, this is in the form of the white fleur de lis and the gold and red on the rosaries and pendants, as well as some brighter hair colours.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui, 15 April 2019 - 05:41 PM.

• Exilyth likes this

My IG/AM: http://www.bolterand...e-penal-legion/

My Sisters of Battle: http://www.bolterand...f-the-holy-book

My Chaos Marines (Emperor's Children): http://www.bolterand...erors-children/

gallery_4664_11830_9542.jpeg

Eddie Orlock

Eddie Orlock

++ FRATERIS TEMPLAR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,056 posts

Spoiler
I did warn you not to get your hopes up too high about the pict capture quality.

• robofish7591 likes this
- Wallace Sayre

Dread

Dread

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 691 posts
  • Faction: Grey Knights
Eddie! How are you? Long time. Sorry been busy with life. Your pics look fine, I have to start all over when they're released. It will be my fifth and last sisters army! I hope.

Dr. Rum, beautiful use of blues and the red on the witch hunter is perfect.

I have come to kick ass and chew bubble gum! And I'm fresh outta bubble gum.

Reply to this topic

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users