What are you working on now?

Captain Idaho

Sgt Carter,

Thanks for info on the colors for the pad trim.  I use GW, or Tamiya and/or some Army Painter paints.   I have to find a new source for Army Painter colors and GW paint as stores that I would buy at no longer carrying WH40K stuff and paint.    Tamiya i can get at several stores.    

I figure after watching a bunch of painting videos I should improve.   I hope.  LOL

Black Blow,

Those are not my marines.    Some one else posted them.   I wish they were mine!    LOL     

I started to paint the shoulder pads for one of  my assault squads for the Fifth Company i am building.    I bought a whole bunch of them from Plakone on Shapeways to do a full UM company.    My painting skills need to improve alot more before I post any photos.   .    

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey guys! Got into this hobby back in January, and after toying around with some Astra Militarum I shifted towards the Empires finest, the Ultramarines. I picked them because I figured they would be a good army to improve my painting skills with, and also, they just look like bad asses.

I decided to go for a 1st company look, mostly because I do not like the gold rims of 2nd company, and I all ready had a butload of Chainmail colour. From what I gather, 1st company is loaded with veterans, so I probably should have had more white helmets, but ehh.... Anyways, I bought the Dark Imperium box in february, and here's what I've got so far:

gallery_194846_16261_4057.jpg

I started off with an Intercessor squad. I figured I'd start with the troop choices and work my way up to the sexy models. All ready after 5 models I hate painting bolt rifles. So many small details on them. The helmets are a blast to paint though, and I'm very happy with the eyes. I hadn't yet bough a can of Fenrisian Grey, so the highlights are not quite what I want them to be. This is corrected on my subsequent models.

gallery_194846_16261_41598.jpg

Blue plasma on blue models seem like overkill to me, so I decided to use my favourite colour - scorpion green. I also got my Fenrisian Grey highlights here, but I only use them where the light would hit the models. Pretty happy with that, but highlighting is still an area I can improve on. Lots of chances to practice on the boys though, am I right? Also, I really should get a highlight color for silver one of these days.

gallery_194846_16261_4217.jpg

These guys were soooo much fun to paint. I was a bit scared about the support stands, but I don't think they are too bad, but then again, I've not had to carry them anywhere. I wish I had a copper colour to paint the visible bullets, but I blended silver and yellow, and then highlighted them a bit with yellow. It sort of works. It's a shame they are fairly monopose, as it really stands out when two of them are so similar, but at least the arms were slightly adjustable. Also, lots of base to cover! So I finally purchased some tufts.

gallery_194846_16261_54465.jpg

Here are two lieutenants, and a sergeant for my second Intercessor squad, drying after a coat of Nuln Oil. Once these are done I've only got the Ancient and Captain left to do. I do have a box or two... or three of more marines though, so no rest for the Astartes!

Once this pandemic is done, I'll hopefully get to play these suckers, as I've yet to actually play anything! Heck, I don't even know the rules. I look forward to getting to know you guys!

Ultramarines Veteran Sergeants have a red helm with a white stripe down the middle of it.

I was never so solid at doing the stripe symmetrical so I used to paint the top bit white (the mohawk bit on the helmet I forget what it's called).

Ultramarines Veteran Sergeants have a red helm with a white stripe down the middle of it.

I was never so solid at doing the stripe symmetrical so I used to paint the top bit white (the mohawk bit on the helmet I forget what it's called).

yeah I know they have a red helm with white stripe. I want to know about 1st company sergeants. As they all have white helmets for being vets. I assume the sergeant has a red helm, but would he have a white stripe because he’s in the veterans company or would he just be a basic sergeant with a red helmet? He could be a veteran veteran sergeant if so :blush.:

yeah I know they have a red helm with white stripe. I want to know about 1st company sergeants. As they all have white helmets for being vets. I assume the sergeant has a red helm, but would he have a white stripe because he’s in the veterans company or would he just be a basic sergeant with a red helmet? He could be a veteran veteran sergeant if so :blush.:

You know, I just couldn't be arsed to make my 1st company marines follow the rules and make them all veterans. The fact that they have silver trimmings was more because I disliked gold trimmings, and I didn't learn until later that 1st company was all veterans, haha. Speaking of which, I just finished a sergeant, and with that my 2nd intercessor squad.

gallery_194846_16261_472447.jpg

Spent so long on this fella, I thought I'd never see the end. Worth it though, my best model so far.

gallery_194846_16261_428618.jpgEvery sergeant needs some friends.

1st Company run the same scheme too - red helmet to denote Sergeant and white for veterancy.

As for personal variation - my Sternguard have gold faceplates instead (though are MK4).

Edited by Captain Idaho

• 3 weeks later...

Folks,

Hope all  are well and staying safe.     I am 95% complete with my two squads of Ultra Assault marines of the Fifth company.   Only have the bases to do.    I already started 20 more assault marines for Ultra fourth company.  :biggrin.:   Using Goblin green for shoulder pad trim.   Using symbols and pads I bought from Shapeways.     For some reason my ceramite white  is greyish and grainy no matter how much I stir it.   What am I doing wrong?   I undercoat the complete pad with grey seer.   Then I paint them macragge blue except what has to be painted white.   Any help is appreciated.     Oh yeah I am still working on my Command squad for the Fifth UM Company.   For some reason I can not finish them.     :wallbash:   

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My order from Minature Conversions of Shapeways for my sargeant shoulder pads (20), UM symbol pads (40),  devastor pads (20) and tactical arrow pads (40) came today.   It was accidently delivered to the wrong building and the person was nice enough to bring it to the lobby of my building.    I now can do more work on my UM Fourth company.   :smile.:   

https://www.shapeways.com/product/Y5AHRT7GZ/mk-galaxy-papa-blue-sergeant-shoulder?optionId=95621193&li=shops

https://www.shapeways.com/product/UBJSGLJNY/mk-galaxy-universal-step-shoulder?optionId=94202751&li=marketplace

https://www.shapeways.com/product/5QR6MMYWW/mk-galaxy-universal-fierce-shoulder?optionId=94204961&li=marketplace

I still have to finish my Fifth company command squad.   :wallbash:      

Started a test miniature for my 30K Ultras project over the weekend. I've never really been one for edge highlighting, but thought I'd try and "up" my painting a bit with this army so that they look more striking on the tabletop. Currently waiting for some more paints to arrive so that I can finish him off.

Xdzkwah.jpg

Edited by Centurion Jay