What are you working on now?

Captain Idaho

Well worth it. Really makes the model pop.

Cheers mate, never edge highlighted a full army before so this will be an achievement for me when I get it done! (If an army can ever be finished...)

The blue looks very rich and they loook greeat

Whats your Blue recipe?

That could be quite cool, show us when the tank is done!

Ok, I paint really slow. So this tank could be this way for a year. But to see what it looks like, I mounted and painted it.

I achieved what I set out to, if you looked across the table and had never seen this unit, but knew what Lascannons are you would rightly guess this was a really big Lascannon.

med_gallery_13104_13236_462865.jpggallery_13104_13236_1722301.jpg

Edited by mel_danes

Well worth it. Really makes the model pop.

Cheers mate, never edge highlighted a full army before so this will be an achievement for me when I get it done! (If an army can ever be finished...)

The blue looks very rich and they loook greeat

Whats your Blue recipe?

Cheers!

Just the “official” GW scheme, Macragge Blue Spray, Nuln oil in recesses only, Calgar Blue highlights, then Fenrisian Grey Highlights.

I'm working on a Centurion Assault Squad I've had since just after they were released. I've never done anything with them because although I like the concept, the models are poorly executed. So I had to do some chopping to get them to look like they can actually assault something.

gallery_61651_8231_25626.jpg

gallery_61651_8231_37144.jpg

gallery_61651_8231_4102.jpg

• 1 month later...

So when I saw these running legs I knew what I would have to do with the second set I was likely to get.
Running Auto Bolt Rifle Veterans, supporting the Assault Primaris and Blade Guard at the front lines.
I knew they would work.

gallery_13104_13236_33416.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

20200813_171716.jpg
20200813_171736.jpg
Working on the bladeguard veterans a bit. Sadly its so friggin warm the last few days that the motivation to keep painting for multiple hours in a row is not really feasible =/. (This dude is WIP, wouldn't mind getting some pointers to paint the gold as its base colour + shade. I tend to be lazy when it comes to gold =/. Stipple some retributor armour next and edge highlight a bit of platina silver?)

Edited by Emurian

I'm plowing my way through the Horus Hersy novels at the moment and I'm quite tempted by the idea of creating a chapter made up of traitor legion astartes taken in by Gulliman.

Iron Warriors led by Barbaros Dantioch would be heavy weapons.

Thousand Sons for my librarian.

Alpha Legion for my deep striking Phobos units.

A unit of Night Lord reivers

The command structure would be made up of Ultramarines who have to keep this lot in line. 

Narrative wise I like the idea of Gulliman setting them up to exclusively deal with the traitor legions, fighting fire with fire sort of thing, but with Ultramarine leadership to keep them united and also to keep an eye out for and execute any who show signs of heresy. They operate solo and are used for virtual suicide missions in the worst warzones/warp incursions. (yes I've also just seen the Dirty Dozen.)

With so many distinctive styles would it be allowed on the tabletop? It's cool with my mates but would it be allowed at a tournament? 

I just finished The Beast Arises Vol. 2, and I am painting up the Indomitus box. I have been using it as an excuse to both paint BA, and to practice with my airbrush. I had recently finished painting and basing my UM Successor chapter at 2,000 points, and I'm not sure where to take them from there. However, I think with the news of the Firstborn getting some love I might just add some basic Tac, and Assault squads to my DIY UM Successors. 

I'm plowing my way through the Horus Hersy novels at the moment and I'm quite tempted by the idea of creating a chapter made up of traitor legion astartes taken in by Gulliman.

Iron Warriors led by Barbaros Dantioch would be heavy weapons.

Thousand Sons for my librarian.

Alpha Legion for my deep striking Phobos units.

A unit of Night Lord reivers

The command structure would be made up of Ultramarines who have to keep this lot in line. 

Narrative wise I like the idea of Gulliman setting them up to exclusively deal with the traitor legions, fighting fire with fire sort of thing, but with Ultramarine leadership to keep them united and also to keep an eye out for and execute any who show signs of heresy. They operate solo and are used for virtual suicide missions in the worst warzones/warp incursions. (yes I've also just seen the Dirty Dozen.)

With so many distinctive styles would it be allowed on the tabletop? It's cool with my mates but would it be allowed at a tournament? 

I think that is a great idea. Valrak has been doing a "Last Wall" army for a while, and recently posted a battle report for it. It looks great on the table. 

I think for the purposes of tournaments, you could just explain to the TO the theme of the army, and if they don't like it... well those are not the kind of people you want to hang around anyway. 

Back in 2nd edition it was common practice to represent a "Crusade" force on the table by using the standard Marines army list (no Chapter Tactica back then) with a bunch of units from different Chapters. It's cool and plays a lot of homage to the glory days of those times.

Obviously a full scale force wouldn't always be eclectic visually (3 Mortifcators squads fulfilling one mission, 2 Iron Hands fulfilling another task etc) but that's where the homage comes in.

So if you are going to do it, use a single Chapter Tactic to make it "legal", use an army badge to bring the army together on the table and have at it!

My only consideration here is we want to see pics!

A lot of IF players are doing like what Captain Idaho described but just using one rule set/ tactic

The more I think about it I am going to paint the Captain, LT, Bladeguard and Bladeguard Ancient as 1st Co. 

Guys, some great looking mini's. 

Question on the Bladeguard... are they supposed to be white trimmed? Or is that just a 1st company touch?

Great stuff guys. Very motivating.

Well actually the Indomitus box shows them gold trimmed, AKA 2nd company.

I choose to put these models in my 1st company as in my head its more logical that a veteran unit belongs to the first. Thats the reason why the shoulderpads are white. I also have the idea to give EVERY model in my 1st company the Vicatrix head (have 80 remaining) and the helmets look perfect for this unit.

The only other models that are in my 1st atm are the 3 Centurions. I plan to assign my 3rd and 4th Eradicator squad to the 1st, still on the fence if I am going to add all 12 aggressors to my 2nd company or make a split between 1st and 2nd.

Just wish GW would make a clear statement when it comes to Terminators. I really like the models, but I am not going to buy them if there is a chance they go Primaris style. =/

On the topic of the crusading forces, and having mixed chapters etc, I painted my unit of Stalker bolt rifle intercessors as various successor chapters. They're all of Ultramarines descent so just get the ultramarines keyword on the tabletop, but visually it adds a little more colour.

My reasoning is Marines used to go on pilgrimage to the shrine of the Primarch, and there was numerous references (in Gathering Storm and the Dark Imperium novels) of  Marines from various other chapters going to see the Primarch. I think I have 8 differenet chapters in the squad so far, so I don't see why you couldn't take that theme and extend it army wide. 

As mentioned above, Valrak has the IF equivalent and they look brilliant.