New CSM range Kitbash repository

Ok, so the new range is now in the hands of the community, and we're starting to explore the options available. However, not all of us have the time to sit there and painstakingly try out different combos of bits for maximum versatility, so after a suggestion by Bryan Blaire I decided to start this thread.

The premise is simple: if you've put models from the new range together in a way not in the instructions, post it up here. If you can give us a kit and part number rundown, even better! Of course, none of us are ever going to complain about pictures of cool models either, feel free to throw them up, especially if you don't have part numbers.

If this gets traction I'll try and get some kind of index going for easy reference.

Dragonlover

Just finished assembling a 10 man squad of the new terminators with a few minor conversions & bits swaps, plus used some spare bits on a couple old termie characters.

tumblr_ppo6gdERf91r6zyzc_1280.png

tumblr_ppo680XYDg1r6zyzc_1280.png

tumblr_ppo4jgMW9k1r6zyzc_1280.png

tumblr_ppo4jlLHDM1r6zyzc_1280.png

tumblr_ppo4jhSNkz1r6zyzc_1280.png

More pics at minisception.tumblr.com/tagged/new-chaos-terminators

IMG 3042

IMG 3041

IMG 3039

IMG 3040

So these are what I have started... Lord from Blackstone is now a Dark Apostle, and both bolter marines from Blackstone are now Exalted Champs. 

The Master of Executions is the Shadowspear autocannon back and legs, a different front plate with the slightest amount of cutting, and the champ backpack.  I then added an old icon arm for the axe handle, Bloodwarrior glaive for the axe head, and various skull bits I had in the bits box.  I'll finish it off with a chaos chariot Slaanesh head and probably a pointing-at-next-victim arm.

I am a very firm believer in not-forced conversions, so I'll sit there and look through everything a few times to find the most minimal way to do it.  That way it feels, and looks, more natural. 

Also, Raptor arms are really good proportionally to the new sculpts.

Edited by 40kChris

I just did small conversions by giving one marine an underslung rocket launcher and a chainaxe to the sergeant. I much prefer the idea that the old boys still have  Heresy era equipment kicking around.

47534802451_209bee4b91_k.jpgIMG_20190402_204346 

@Sception those chainaxe ideas are great! Might have to steal some...

Edited by TrawlingCleaner

The combi plas bits are from pop goes the weasel:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/V6XGGBSE9/10x-combi-plaz-calth-terminator-bit?optionId=62943117&li=marketplace

They're made to fit battle for calth 30k plastic termies. I had to make some alterations to get them to fit the new chaos terminators, removing fitting tabs from both sides, cutting away a bit of the top & cutting back the inside front a bit to align with where the bolter ends.

Extra chain axes came from a few places. The toothy ones are from AoS blood warriors out of the old starter box. One I cut off just the front of the axe, and glued it in place of the blade of the terminator power axe. The other I cut off the whole axe head, & glued it in place of the head of the terminator power mace.

The choppier looking axe from the bottom picture is a necromunda (goliath?) bit someone lent me, and I chopped at it and another terminator power mace until they fit together. I really like how that one turned out. Definitely recommend talking to nevromunda players to see if you can trade for that bit.

I also used a chain axe from my shadowspear CSM champion, carefully removing the hand from the arm with a sharp knife so as to keep both bits usable, and sticking it on the terminator power sword arm, after carefully removing that hand as well.

Great idea for a thread!

gallery_73760_13626_62423.jpg

Here's the start of a berserker, the base mini is one of the monopose marines from shadowspear, head crest and chest armor from AoS blood warriors.

The shadowspear cam is surprisingly easy to convert btw, the shoulder pads comes off neatly, which allows for different arms to be used. Cutting off the torsos is harder of course, hard to get a clean cut without having to do some serious gs gap filling.

I was able to assemble most of the Skitarii I did recently by gluing one arm as a guide and then place the weapon with the other arm after painting. I'm going to aim to do that as often as I can with the new Chaos kits. If you use some Tamiya Extra Thin to do the final assembly it's very gentle on the paint; used carefully it might make the paint wrinkle a bit near the join but if you let it dry it relaxes back down smooth.

Started work on some havocs

tumblr_ppq2am35Su1r6zyzc_1280.png

tumblr_ppq2aqxb9D1r6zyzc_1280.png

tumblr_ppq2asxYJf1r6zyzc_1280.png

tumblr_ppq2apwhd31r6zyzc_1280.png

A couple DV chosen bits on the champ. Nothing too major. Also hoping to use greenstuff copies of baledrake hades cannon barrels to make a couple heavy bolters into extra chaincannons. Will see how that goes.

Edited by Sception

I do really like the look of the new havoc armor.  From the taloned boots & heavy greaves to the thigh plates & high collars, it's a really cool & distinct (& unique to chaos?) armor look that visually feels like a natural halfway point between power and terminator armor.  I mean, I can certainly understand the position of players frustrated by the way havocs becoming their own visually and mechanically distinct thing rather than just a heavy weapons squad hurts compatibility with the rest of the line.  You can't just decide on the fly that today your heavy weapon models are clustered into a havoc squad where yesterday they were spread out in chaos marine squads.  Or, at least, if you do it'll look a bit off now.  But, frustrating as tinkering with the models can be, I really like how aesthetically distinct it makes the unit, and narratively I feel it perfectly demonstrates the warping influence of chaos and tendency of chaos marines to sort themselves into specialized cults of similar tactics, mindsets, & mutations that cut across legion & warband allegiances.

I hope we see more similar kits in the future.  That berserker conversion in particular has me hoping that we get a melee or at least short ranged counterpart unit in the future.  Maybe Chosen could be re-imagined as something like that?  I don't know.

I swear, Khorne players profit so much from the AoS Khorne models and the new CSM models, it's unreal. They can already build awesome berzerkers with what's available and I'm sitting here looking at the old Noise Marine upgrade sprue and 3rd party stuff that doesn't quite fit with the new CSM models aesthetics.

I swear, Khorne players profit so much from the AoS Khorne models and the new CSM models, it's unreal. They can already build awesome berzerkers with what's available and I'm sitting here looking at the old Noise Marine upgrade sprue and 3rd party stuff that doesn't quite fit with the new CSM models aesthetics.

Well, we're getting pretty consistent rumors of new Emperor's Children specific releases in the not-too-distant-future at this point.  Honestly, rather than scrounging for conversion and counts-as options, I'd personally recommend just waiting a while longer.

I am glad to see you can mix and match with the old sets.

Yeah the bodies are a bit different in height but swapping arms and heads around works great. I’m just keeping them in different squads. Ordered some Thousand Sons and Deathwatch bits to experiment with as well.

Khorne also get all the cool big toys.

Lord of Skull? -> Khorne

Kytan Ravager? -> Khorne

Greater Brass Scorpion? -> Khorne

Blood Slaughterer? -> Khorne

I'm playing a Black Legion/Slaanesh army and it's depressing when you look at the cool/big units.

On Forgeworld for example, all you get that is Slaaneshi is the Keeper of Secret and she is a Daemon, not even CSM.

I mentioned it / asked a question in the Emperor's Children thread but didn't get an answer... you could always look at the Kakophoni as a stand-in for Noise Marines if they're large enough. I'm unsure of their scale but if they match that of the older HH models than they'll definitely be smaller.

tumblr_pptj9dwqkB1r6zyzc_1280.png

Greenstuff copies of the baledrake hades cannon didnt turn out that well. The milliput I have dries too soft for this sort of thing. Could try again later after buying fifferent putty but… meh. Room mate found some old assault cannon bits he didnt need, so I went with those instead.

I mostly like how these turned out. May go back and mess with them a bit more later.

Don't quite know if this counts, but I did a conversion/repose of Abaddon with bitz from Horus and the Forgeworld version of Abaddon:

QoueSxl.jpg?1

Was pretty easy actually! Cut away the arms, cut away the head, glue everything else as planned. Then shorten Horus' arms a bit (At the shoulders), and pin Drachnyen in place of Worldbreaker. The Shoulderpads fit with no extra conversion work, just add a blob of greenstuff into each one (About pea sized worked for me). The head is just FW Abby's head with the new topknot pinned into it.