New CSM range Kitbash repository

Reaper Chaincannon -

http://i.imgur.com/49bGX2r.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ihd9a3f.jpg

Made from the Havoc Heavy Bolter, the Ravenwing Assault Cannon and a Dreadnought exhaust! The tip is a pressmold of the original cannon, but other than that 100% GW kit and 100% cost me nothing (extra!) :tu:

EDIT Here he is with his mate -

http://i.imgur.com/gFgWgHZ.jpg

Edited by Midnight Runner

gallery_95846_15064_630873.jpeg

Threw together a squad of Iron Warriors using a mix of Shadowspear and the new CSM set. Waiting on Oblits for a ChaijnCannon for one of them. Chaincannon guy on the bottom is for my Red Corsairs, still needs a lil green stuff. He’s also made from one of the bolt pistol and chain sword Shadowspear dudes, with a peg chopped off and a little bit of right arm carved out.

Word of warning, if you want to use the chaincannon in your CSM squad you MUST use the heavy weapon body from the booklet unless you fancy getting hands on with green stuff. I made the mistake of putting it on a body I fancied and I couldn't get anything to align. In the end I had to do abit of greenstuffing for gaps and I couldn't physically make the pose aim because of the way the ammo belts have to align with the backpack. It all comes down to how the torso is either leaning forward or straight. I actually used the heavy weapon body to make a heavy bolter so I had to use something else for the chaincannon, make sure you dry fit first. I would have preferred an aiming pose but my chaincannon guy is advancing with his instead.

You definitely have to dry fit when it comes to putting weapons and arms on bodies, the CSM box is not as customisable and compatible with the Havoc kit as GW likes to make out.

gallery_104427_14785_381243.jpg

gallery_104427_14785_619256.jpg

gallery_104427_14785_247054.jpg

That does look good though Midnight Brotherhood - nice work - you don’t actually realise how big the Chaincannon is until you see it on a normal CSM. I like it :tu:

Thanks I'm really glad you think it looks okay, I've had my eyes on it too long and wasn't sure. With how low he is holding the chaincannon it really had me thinking whether to just cut him up and start again! Thankfully it doesn't quite touch the ground so it doesn't lift him up or anything. In my head I'm imagining him advancing with the chaincannon with the rest of the squad, I like to use my CSM as mobile ground troops to cap objectives so I hope it shows that.

But yes you are right the chaincannon is HUGE!! I guess this CSM shows the weight of it lol

Edited by Midnight Brotherhood

Damn, good to know! I was gonna use the heavy weapon body as a basis for a warpsmith.

Yeah make sure you check. I made a missile launcher, heavy bolter and chaincannon + 7 bolter marines from 1 CSM box as I'm fleshing out gaps in my force. You've definitely got to check the instructions and forward plan and dry fit. The rest of the squad went together fine, it's just the chaincannon that gave me trouble.

Don't know if anyone has pointed out yet, the bolters for the new CSMs... specifically Shadowspear but probably for the new kit as well... are the same size as the bolters from the old CSM kit. 

So if you have spare bolter arms and bolters from the old CSM kit laying around you can definitely make a full bolter squad with minimal effort.  The image below is exactly that, just careful cutting of the bolter arms, and maybe shaving down the area under that right shoulder pad a bit for the arm to fit correctly.

IMG 3058

Edited by 40kChris

Yeah, I used some old bolters to convert a couple chainsword marines from shadowspear into bolter marines, and they work well enough.

tumblr_ppz650ZOVi1r6zyzc_1280.png

tumblr_ppz653BdUi1r6zyzc_1280.png

The two on the left I'm quite happy with. The one on the right not so much, but that's more the posing than the bolter not looking right.

May have to come back and mess with him some more. Or just drop him, if I ever end up with some spare chaos maribes (maybe they'll release the two bsf marines as one of those mini easy build boxes?)

Anyway, a some other minor conversion & kitbash work:

tumblr_ppz64zCP9Z1r6zyzc_1280.png

tumblr_ppz654v8ln1r6zyzc_1280.png

The champion on the left is the shadowspear champ with sine weapon swaps. The plasmagunner on the right was the shadowspear autocannon guy. The two heavy weapon models are in progress chaincannon conversions using spare havoc heavy bolters for that 'belt fed from the backpack' look. They fit onto new csm bodies well enough, but you'll want to use the more upright ones. A lot of the new csm bodies have more aggressive, forward-leaning poses that don't work so well with the larger havoc heavy weapons, particularly those with hanging ammo belts. Defibitely test fit before committing, and even the best fits will be a bit fidgetty since the havoc torsos seem to have a slightly different size & shape to them. I also had to shave at the vackpack fittings a bit since the csm and havoc backs dont seem to be quite exactly the same

Then again, I had to mess with some of the havoc backs anyway, so it might be that some of the havoc packs are just a bit too snug in general.

The main take away is that you can absolutely use new havoc heavy weapons in new csm squads, but doing so is a bit finnicky as not every model in the squad works equally well for it and even the better choices aren't 100% perfect for the job.

I swapped some Bolters onto the Chainsword dudes from Shadowspear and used a heavy Bolter from the Havoc box to make a second chaincannon. I used a Dark Vengeance mini for the champion and another to fill in another Bolter.

Full Bolter squad:

8g766W8.jpg

Chaincannons:

PN8Of3l.jpg

Converted Chainsword dudes:

hW6trrq.jpg

Edited by Danny Cyanide

This is a vid I just found on YouTube for any Night Lords fans. He also has a crazy long painting guide to go with it. https://youtu.be/qNw15A8sO2M

Yeah this popped up for me on Youtube over the weekend, the space marine frozen under the ice base is insane!

Here's the rest of marines that I built. Only other kit bashing I did was use the arm from the Havoc box holding the missile to go on the missile launcher marine rather than holding a knife, looks much more fitting I think. Also the chaincannon CSM's head was actually the champion head with the silly top knot cut off and smoothed down. It's a great looking helmet if you do that.

The backpacks are just blue-tacked on at the moment for when I paint. I've also took pics how I'm organising them into 3 x 5 man CSM squads alongside my Dark Vengeance Marines, they make great champions and bolter fillers. Each champion has a chainsword and bolter which is already sculpted onto their backs, cheap and cheerful.

gallery_104427_14785_335428.jpg

1st Squad

gallery_104427_14785_317089.jpg

2nd Squad

gallery_104427_14785_146369.jpg

3rd Squad

gallery_104427_14785_56275.jpg

I'm really glad that they matched the new aesthetic with the old Dark Vengeance marines, the DV marines have just enough mutation and extra detail to make them stand out as Chosen while still keeping them matching the new CSM.

Edited by Midnight Brotherhood

As a note, for all of you folks who want to make Havocs out of regular CSM.....the taloned "toes" in the Raptor box that are used for Warp Talons are separate pieces. Just take regular CSM, cut their toes off where necessary, and attach Warp Talon toes via green stuff. Then add some extra bulk via cables and maybe some extra plates (Goliath kit from Necromunda is good for this). Attach Heavy Weapon of choice. Bam. Done.

tumblr_pq2e9expqY1r6zyzc_1280.png

tumblr_pq2e9ceP8g1r6zyzc_1280.png

Updated reaper chaincannons for havocs & csms. Left models are official havocs with reaper cannon.

Middle models are slight updates to the previously shown havoc chaincannon conversions using havoc heavy bolters, old dark angel assault cannon barrels, & old chaos vehicle upgrade weapon nozzles. They've been shortened slightly compared to previous look at them, plus some extra greenstuff bracing at the base of the barrels.

Right models are basic chaos marine chaincannon conversions, again using havoc heavy bolters. The basic marines also have heavy bolters, but those aren’t belt fed, and I’m trying to keep that as a consistent visual element if chaincannons in my army. The top rotary barrel is from a heldrake hades cannon and the bottom is stolen from one of the shadowspear oblits.

Both are a bit smaller & lighter than the official chaincannon and assault cannon barrels on the havocs, which works for the slightly smaller basic marines getting a slightly lighter version of the gun.

tumblr_pq2f69Fg0w1r6zyzc_1280.png

Second havoc squad, with lascannons. Some slight conversion / bits swap work on the champion to make him a bit distinct from the champ of the chaincannon squad.

Edited by Sception

Here's a khornate raptor converted from one of the Shadowspear marines - cut his breast plate away and added a blood warriors torso, powerfist from the raptor kit. I used his original chainsword arm but switched it for a pistol and then added a helmet from the chaos knights. I also used raptor toes and cut a chunk of ruin away from a raptor to give him the height to match the rest of the squad.

gallery_62155_11151_708716.jpg

I built a squad of Havocs intentionally mixing bodies and arms to see how it went.

yabd2T1.jpg

Champ body has a Lascannon, Champ and second Lascannon are built out of a heavy Bolter/Autocannon body.

Both autocannons are built out of the Lascannon/Missile bodies.

I'm currently exploring this as I try to create 4 Chaincannons for some Marines squads. It's something of a good-news bad-news situation. Yes, they do provide enough backpack components in the Havoc kit to equip the squad and all the left over weapons also have a full pack. However, the fit of heavy weapons plus backpack on regular Marines is rather hit-and-miss and you'll need to test fit to find the best match and even then it's not always perfect and might force you to make adjustments. Since I'm trying to make Chaincannons (two of the proper weapon, two made with Havoc Hvy. Bolters) I'm more hung up on getting the ammo feeds to fit correctly so it might not be as much of an issue with other Heavy Weapons.

There are 9 heavy weapons in the havoc box and enough backpacks for 8 of them.  More specifically there are four dual vent halves that match with autocannon, heavy bolter, and chainreaper halves, of which there are 2, 2, and 1 respectively, to match the weapons themselves.  And there are 4 single vent halves that match with lascannon or missile launcher halves, of which there are 2 and 2 respectively, again to match the weapons.  So you have backpacks for all of the lascannons, all of the missile launchers, and all but one of the autocannons, heavy bolters, and chainreaper.

It would be rather difficult to attach most of the heavy weapons to models with regular marine backpacks with the exception of the autocannons.  The other weapons all connect in some way to the backpacks, and/or get in the way of normal backpacks in the case of the over the shoulder weapons, but the autocannons don't.  IMO they look better with their actual havoc packs, as they have matching extra ammo drums, but they don't directly connect to the packs, so the havoc backpacks are more optional for those.

Mostly backpacks aren't an issue for the havocs.

Shoulder pads can be a bit more of an issue, though.  The lascannons & missile launchers include a built in shoulderpad each.  The box comes with 8 separate pads.  So if you build 2 lascannon/missile launchers and 2 heavy bolters/autocannons/chainreaper then you will have enough pads with none spare.  However, if you build four heavy bolters/autocannons/chainreapers then you'll need to get an extra two pads from somewhere else.  On the other hand, if you build four lascannons/missile launchers then you end up with two shoulder pads to spare.

I bought 2 kits of Havocs so far (going to get a third). 

Out of the 2 kits I was able to build all 10 havocs (2 champs, 4 las, 4 missile) and on top of it build an additional 2 heavy bolters, 2 autocannons, and 2 reaper chain cannons from the kits for leftover marines I had from the new CSM kits.... And this is with parts left over. Its drowning in gun options that work very well on MK 3 and the new CSM kit. 

It really is a stellar lineup for kitbashing and I will post my Iron Warrior picks a bit down the line once the FW heads/pads come in that I ordered to tie it all together with Mk3 / new CSM kits and FW parts.