New CSM range Kitbash repository

Well with all the excitement of the new CSM range I couldn't help joint the party and have a bash at some Night Lords, rekindling a project I wanted to do back in 2nd ed, but couldn't paint lightning!

http://i66.tinypic.com/zuphxx.jpg

http://i66.tinypic.com/racke1.jpg

I've tried to make them less Chaosy as I'm more likely to use them in 30k, but with options of using them in 40k too.

Quick size comparison of thousand sons torso and deathwatch legs with new csm . Got some

Devestator legs too, they are small but I think will look cool with fancy bases for a Renegade Havoc squad.

med_gallery_95846_15064_159957.jpeg?t=65960552

RE: combi bolter options:  depends on how much you care about matching style & pose.

If you're willing to have the model pistol-grip the combi weapon (perhaps a champion with combi weapon and chainsword), then the new terminator combi weapons can work on power armored models, and they'll match the general style of decoration & trim.  the box comes with enough combi bolters for the squad, but if you give one model a heavy weapon then you'll get one spare combi bolter per box, and if you give the rest of the box regular combi bolters then you'll have bits spare to make the one spare any type of combi weapon.

But that's only one per box, and it assumes you want terminators, and that you want to give the unit a reaper autocannon or heavy flamer.  Eventually the bits should start to filter out to the secondary market, but no idea how long that will take or how expensive the bits will be.  Combi plasma from that box in particular is likely to cost a fair bit.  Not havoc reaper chaincannon bad (I've been seeing that go for like $30 on ebay), but still.

Otherwise, Blight Lord Terminator combi bolter bits might also be available via the secondary market.  A full set of their combi weapons comes with bits to make 5 combi weapons, all of which can be combi bolters and up to one each can be combi plasma, melta & flamer.  Might be a bit of work chopping a couple of them free of the arms holding them though - the whole arm is attached to the weapon in that kit, not just the hand holding them.  And, unlike the new generic csm termies, the hands themselves are a lot chunkier than power armor, so youll probably have to remove those too.  And again, you'll need pistol grips.  Still, it is a suitably chaotic looking weapon set available from secondary market bits order sites already.  If you're in the US, Hoard o Bits has them.  They charge inordinate shipping costs, but I've never had a problem with them.

Scarab occult terminator combi bolters can also be found on the secondary market.  They're more distinctly tzeentchian, though, and only come with regular combi bolter parts, no plasma.

Beyond that?

Evil Craft had some chaosy styled combi weapons in the verticle orientation better fit for power armored models... but they seem to have finally been hit by the GW legal hammer.  Honestly, I'm surprised that took as long as it did.

If you're not concerned about the bits looking particularly chaosy, or if you're willing and able to chaos them up yourself, then the best bet is probably the FW legion combi weapon set.  Unfortunately that only comes in a set of 5 each of combi plasma, flamer, and meltagun, but still, best bet, gw legal.  Double Unfortunately, you're still probably going to be stuck with pistol grips if you're using them with the new models, as the new chaos model bolter grips have both hands connected to the bolter, while the fw combi weapons only have one hand modeled on the bolter, so if you use it with the normal bolter grips you'll end up one hand short, which would lead to some awkward sculpting.  They'd work alright with raptor special weapon arms, but then you're getting even more extra bits.

That set also doesn't include basic combi bolters.  If you're looking for those, and can't find the new terminator bits, then I'd try looking for 30k cataphracti or tartaros termie bits?  Those are a bit harder to come by these days than they used to be, unfortunately.

Edited by Sception

I saw on Instagram what look to be some great barrels to use for converting chaincannons:

http://www.reddogminis.com/catalog/item/9023820/10408018.htm

A pack of six for $5, with $5 flat shipping in the US.

Many thanks for posting this. If you go to their Facebook, they've shared a pic of those barrels used for conversions. They have a nice side by side, provided by a customer, of a chaincannon next to converted heavy bolter and autocannon. Looks so good I bought two packs.

Anyone have a good resource for combo bolters/plasmas that work with the new kits?

Starting work on this and a few other key niches right now. I've got four Chaos Marine squads that need combi-weapons and the Terminators are going to need Axes, so many Axes. The lynch-pin to it all right now is getting the hand done properly; if I do it correctly I can pose it how I need it and place it where it's needed. I'm still trying to figure out if I want to do modular bits or simply a range with and without hands attached so people can get what they need/want. No promises on the timeline, but this is starting now; I've worked with the kits, got a good idea of the design language they're using on the new range, and now I have to settle in and get some preliminary 3D modeling work done to get the scale right.

Combi-weapons will be an over-under solution that I will try to design with magnets in mind for swapping the weapon options, but I also want to keep them as slim as the standard Bolter bit so I won't compromise on that. I will not be trying to accommodate to the 'notches' that they've put at the wrists and leave it up to the builder to fit the component. I'm still pondering how I'll be handling the Terminator's weapons beyond making them bulkier, and Axes, lots of Axes. Again, I just need to get some preliminary work done and they'll tag along. Keep your comm-link active.

With all the bits I've ordered finally in my hands, I've been working on three squad sergeants for my Dreadreavers. I'm using the bodies that are standing on pieces of rubble as a base to make them stand out from the rest of their squads, just in case their loadouts and iconography don't do the trick. The pics are hidden behind tags because they're stupidly big.

Number one is (for now, at least) my favorite of the bunch. That might have something to do with him being the only one I consider complete...

Hidden Content

gallery_108437_14672_35912.jpg

Sergeant number two is the least involved conversion of the three. It's the champ from Shadowspear, I just gave him a different boltgun and a SoH Reaver backpack. I feel like something is missing though, would love to get a few suggestions from here to make him truly unique. A plume's definetely an option, though I wanna see what else can be done.

Hidden Content

gallery_108437_14672_14041.jpg

And finally, number three. He's a very early WIP, but I want to share him anyway since I've seen so many people all around the internet complaining how it's impossible to use torsos on these new dudes... it's definetely doable, but it requires time.

Hidden Content

gallery_108437_14672_53123.jpg

I'd love to hear what you guys have to say, especially about two and three!

AHorriblePerson: Definitely digging sarge numero uno. I think an emblem on #2's shoulder pad would be nice. Brass etch or a decal once he is painted would look good. I am also a sucker for top knows but I don't know how it would look and if it would be cluttered with the raised chainaxe. Interested in seeing how #3 turns out.

I managed to pick up a bargain (for Australia) priced set of Chaos Terminators. Not a great fan of the kit, it's highly limiting, not quite as bad as the Blight Lord kit but duplicates will stand out...

I'm thinking I'll run these as an Atramentar command Squad - I'm working on magnetising the banner arm so I can swap it with a heavy weapon if I use them in 40k.

http://i65.tinypic.com/27y33ox.jpg

A homage to Brother Heinrich's Terminators that tempted me with Night Lords all those years ago....

Can anyone (HereticMarine1) size-compare the old drachnyen sword with the new one?

I like that combi-bolter wielding dude as well, in the hands of 30k resin and old plastic CSM combi-bolters look a bit silly, these new upsized dudes looks good.

Edited by Syrakul