Space Marine Army Base Sizes

Syward

I've got a bunch of Space Marines from 4th/5th edition that came with 25mm bases. I've been building a Primaris Deathwatch army for 8th edition and I've been using 32mm Sector Mechanicus bases for them. So now I have all these unused standard blank 32mm bases that the Primaris came with.

My questions are:

1. Can I use these blank 32mm bases to replace the 25mm bases from my 4th/5th edition Power Armor models? Or do they need to use the 25mm bases they came with?

2. If I can I put the standard infantry units on the 32mm can I then put the HQ/Character models on 40mm bases like the Primaris HQ/Character models are? Or would they all need to be on 32mm bases?

Similar question regarding Necron & Dark Eldar models - they come with 25mm bases, but could you legally put them on 32mm bases?

Thanks in advance!

As far as I know, there is no official GW rule about this. At least in the core rules of the game, they may have something specified for the tournaments that they put on.

From what I can tell, it's generally accepted that models use the bases that come with them or the bases that come with the most current version of that kit.

The most accepted basing for space marines is for all troops to be on 32mm instead of 25mm. I would guess that most people would prefer them that way.

For the HQs, I would keep them on 32s, since that is the size they still come with. (The Primaris ones do come on larger bases, but the older ones don't). By putting them on 40mm, their auras will cover a larger area and you could be accused of modeling for advantage. 

I've got a bunch of Space Marines from 4th/5th edition that came with 25mm bases. I've been building a Primaris Deathwatch army for 8th edition and I've been using 32mm Sector Mechanicus bases for them. So now I have all these unused standard blank 32mm bases that the Primaris came with.

My questions are:

1. Can I use these blank 32mm bases to replace the 25mm bases from my 4th/5th edition Power Armor models? Or do they need to use the 25mm bases they came with?

2. If I can I put the standard infantry units on the 32mm can I then put the HQ/Character models on 40mm bases like the Primaris HQ/Character models are? Or would they all need to be on 32mm bases?

Similar question regarding Necron & Dark Eldar models - they come with 25mm bases, but could you legally put them on 32mm bases?

Thanks in advance!

Well there are basically 2-3 "rules" when it comes to base sizes.

1. There is no rule officially. You could theoretically put a Gretchin on a Knight base and a Knight on a Gretchin base.

2. Commonly accepted is put your models on the bases they came delivered with or the bases the latest version uses (so 25mm or 32mm both would be fine for you)

3. Bigger is usually more accepted than smaller, though imo bigger can give you just as much as an advantage or disadvantage as smaller in this edition so I wouldn't really count on that

As for your specific questions:

1. Yeah, no problem. It would also improve their look as the bigger base size alone already makes them seem to be bigger compared to regular humans. They'd still look tiny compared to Primaris, Deathwatch and the new Chaos Marine models though.

2. Depends on the HQ I guess. Primaris HQs are on 40mm bases (hell, one Deathguard HQ is even on a 50mm base), but classic Marine HQs aren't. I'll just refer to the 3 "rules" I posted above and let you decide for yourself. ^^

Thanks for the responses everyone. :tu:

I'm going to use 32mm for all of my older models, including the HQ/Character units as I definitely don't want it to appear that I'm trying to model for advantage (plus, I think the older PA models may look a little silly on a 40mm base). The 1st time I saw a 32mm base was when I got back into the hobby in 8th with the Dark Imperium box and the Primaris characters, are all on a 40mm base, even the Lieutenants & the Company Ancient even though they're the same size as the Intercessor Marines. (I understand the Gravis capt on a 40mm, it's essentially TDAAll of my old 4th/5th edition models all came w/25mm bases, even the HQ/Characters, so I wasn't sure if there was a shift in bases for HQ/Characters or not. 

The new Master of Possession in Shadowspear is also on a 40mm though he would have fit fine on a 32mm IMHO.  Likewize, the new havocs are on 40mm bases, but they really do need that base size and their stances are very wide.

Incidentally, I rebased all my previous edition models to 32mm to make them consistent with any new models I might buy and because I thought they looked better.  I'm quite happy with the decision, in particular with the metal raptors I have, as it allowed me to put metal washers under their bases which has made them much less tippy.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

The new Master of Possession in Shadowspear is also on a 40mm though he would have fit fine on a 32mm IMHO.  Likewize, the new havocs are on 40mm bases, but they really do need that base size and their stances are very wide.

Incidentally, I rebased all my previous edition models to 32mm to make them consistent with any new models I might buy and because I thought they looked better.  I'm quite happy with the decision, in particular with the metal raptors I have, as it allowed me to put metal washers under their bases which has made them much less tippy.

I definitely like the new 32mm bases and will use them on my Space Marines.

I'm also building a Chaos Daemon army and all of the Bloodletters came w/25mm (2x start collecting boxes) bases and I'm thinking of swapping them to 32mm bases and my son plays Necrons & Dark Eldar and his all  his models from the start collecting boxes came on 25mm bases and they seem to work OK for his Necrons & Dark Eldar (because they're fairly small & light models) but my Bloodletters keep tipping over on the 25mm bases - especially the banner & instrument carriers and I think they would look much nicer on the 32mm bases (more room for basing the realm of blood)

Would there be any issue using the 32mm bases on the Chaos Daemons since they still come with 25mm bases?

Well, if tipping is the main problem, I would buy a box of 3/4 inch stainless steel washers and glue them to the bottom of each base.  You can get them in pretty much any large hardware store.  They have several advantages over new bases, including: a) they are cheaper; b ) they give your model a bit of weight, c) they are ferrous, which means if the figures are hard to carry in a modelling case, with some magnets you can transport them in a metal toolbox (or any stiff box if you glue the magnets); and d) you don't have to worry about whether the base size is permitted.

That's what I did with my daemonettes.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

Bloodletters, Pink Horrors, and Plaguebearers all come on 32s now,

So really: there is no official answer. Generally speaking, bumping up a size when there's some question or wiggle room in what GW is doing won't be much of an issue - given that the discussion on if it's better to be on bigger bases or not has raged unresolved since 32s were first introduced, it means it's pretty much a wash. Like if you go and mount your Primaris Psyker warlord on a 100mm base you are clearly being a git - but on a 32mm to make him a bit more impressive is a different matter.