Rubicon Primaris and existing characters

Berzul

So I’m going to briefly derail this topic but seriously at what point did Guilman look at the plasma incinerator and think yes short range rapid fire, this weapon would be best utilised by troops walking steadily until its in maximum fire range. Then he checks out the new auto cannon and thinks yes long range low rate of fire loss of accuracy when moved, let’s drop it in from orbit and then bound around the battle field like a kangaroo.

Arrggghhh someone make this make sense.

You're looking at it from the perspective of a tabletop wargame, and it's ruleset, rather than from pseudo military logistics.

The Vanguard Primaris (Infiltrators, Eliminators, Reivers and Suppressors - so far) are a covert operations force. They drop behind enemy lines (which in 40k terms I suppose could mean they're the sole Imperial presence on an entire world) and work to destabilise enemy forces in preparation for a full scale assault. Which means they're limited to the weapons and supplies which they carry with them.

So to take your example, perhaps plasma incinerators burn through a heap of plasma cells every time they're fired, requiring a constant supply chain to utilise them effectively over a long period. Perhaps the weapon itself is temperamental, and requires constant maintenance to keep it operational.

In contrast the autocannon used by Suppressors might be far more rugged and dependable, requiring little maintenance in the field. It's low rate of fire means that they don't need to carry as much ammo, whilst it's fairly high strength and armour piercing abilities gives it a fair chance of defeating harder targets the Vanguard might encounter. The combination of long range and high mobility means that (1) the heaviest weapons available to the Vanguard, although limited in number, can always get to where they're most needed, and (2) when enemy artillery decides to strike back at the unit which just took out their command tank, the Suppressors are already long gone, having used their jump packs to redeploy to another vantage point to take out another high priority target.

I actually really like the Suppressors. You're absolutely right when you said that jump pack equipped Helblasters would be more effective, but that's in game terms rather in terms of the fictional setting. And jump pack Helblasters already exist - as plasma Inceptors, which are actually even better because they're wearing Gravis armour and carry two handheld plasma cannons.

I think the deciding factor is whether GW wants to completely retire the classic marine range, replacing it entirely with Primaris, or whether the two ranges will co-exist indefinitely.

My gut feeling is that classic marines aren't going anywhere. I can't see GW scrapping all the expensive plastic moulds that they've developed over the years. As retail goes more and more online, shelf capacity in stores is no longer a factor. As long as the moulds don't wear out (which I believe is less of a factor with plastic moulding) and, more crucially, people continue to buy them, I think GW will keep selling classic marines.

Back on topic, I think that means that the character's that will be Rubiconned will simply be the ones that GW wants to refresh anyway. Azrael and Ezekiel are (in hobby terms) ancient models that are out of scale even with the classic range, so I think they're highly likely to become Primaris. The other characters are newer so they might stick around for longer, unless GW wants to get rid of the Finecast moulds.

Whilst it would be good to see some of the older fine cast finally make it to plastic I also think the primaris really need their own special named characters to flesh them out a bit more. I suspect that will come in time.

My idea Is that oldmarines Will dissapear someday and only the primaris Will remain

Characters Will be primarised or Will die and new ones Will be primaris characters instead

I guess the transution to full primaris Will require some years though so se Will be able to play oldmarines for more years