Daemons of the Ruinstrom Tactica: We own the night

Argel Tal

So what do you guys think of the "newcomers from hell" ?

Unlike 40k their unit can get pricy quite fast I think and at the end of the game you are getting really weak. So to me they are very dependant of a strong t2 with good hammer units coming t1!

Big squad of brutes with the daemon lord seems appropriate to deal with the necessary damage at the beginning of the game.

Shrikes also seems like auto include with the rift barb they are very good range tank hunter units.

Some émanation seems a bit kill centric but if my reading is correct you don't have to play the émanation objective all the time, you can also chose to play the mission objective instead.

Edited by Argel Tal

A flying great unclean one/greater daemon would be fun ahah

The behemoth sounds like a great anvil units,very hard to deal with due to the unstoppable rules, 10w and t8... I just wonder what model we should use for this but I guess this is for the Ruinstrom models topic

It feels overall like a serious lack of shooting minus rift barbs on shrikes. Otherwise a lot of units wont be doing a lot just due to the necessity of fighting assaults if not tzeentch. The behemoth is pretty solid its theoretically worse than 3 of the great beasts per a slot except vs instant death where it can be really strong.

Ephemeral Terror seems pretty mandatory on most units: being reduced to I1 whenever charging through terrain just seems too harsh a penalty to not take it. You want your troop daemons swinging at the same time as enemy infantry, and you want your monsters swinging before powerfists.

Dreadnoughts seem like they will be a big problem for daemon armies. S8 will only be hurting contemptors on 5+'s and with low weapon skill on the monsters, they won't be getting a ton of hits. Do folks think tending brutes or maybe a squad of rending beasts (if you can get in at the top of turn 2) would work? Or just taking one or two small squads with rift barbs to act as a suicide squad to take out a leviathan or whatever?

Edited by Ficinus

Ephemeral Terror seems pretty mandatory on most units: being reduced to I1 whenever charging through terrain just seems too harsh a penalty to not take it. You want your troop daemons swinging at the same time as enemy infantry, and you want your monsters swinging before powerfists.

Dreadnoughts seem like they will be a big problem for daemon armies. S8 will only be hurting contemptors on 5+'s and with low weapon skill on the monsters, they won't be getting a ton of hits. Do folks think tending brutes or maybe a squad of rending beasts (if you can get in at the top of turn 2) would work? Or just taking one or two small squads with rift barbs to act as a suicide squad to take out a leviathan or whatever?

Empheral terror is definetly one of the better upgrades but you it's not very useful if you didnt spend on killy combat upgrades before hand, so gets pricey and eats an emination which most units only get 2 of.

I dunno how you kill dreadnoughts outside of your lord/archdaemon everything else gets punched to death. Rift barbs arent even a great answer as things smaller than brutes are abysmal with them and its 1 shot a unit.

Really my biggest issue is the war gear list just feels lacking it has a large of options but some are just so bad and very few fill the actual issues of being able to kill things.

Unit of 3 beats with the barb and the shrike seems the only way to spamm those shots with decent mobility but as it is ap3 you'll need to glance them to death...

Not being able to get an exploded feels pretty bad and the only viable combat to fight a melee leviathan is a biomancy lord otherwise you'll just get killed by the claws.

To add to my thoughts on daemons a lord with 3 mastery and iron arm warp speed precognition is probably the killiest unit we have. Only thing that's iffy is the 3+/5++ but iwnd from nurgle could help. That's the only reason i see khabanda as a contender is the 4++ our daemon lord desperately needs.

I really want to field an archdaemon but it feels like you need to play 4k to use one.

Edited by Purge the Daemon

Samus also has armobane so pretty killy on mele for av but his main issue is that he is not flying so really need a good rift placement

Samus prevents taking a lord or khabanda so I dont really see him getting much play hes just not as strong but murderous strike and armourbane have uses as well hes just very costly.

He has the advantage of a very long charge range but why does he prevent taking a lord?

Khabanda obviously is not from the same émanations

They all have the restriction must be warlord for samus/khabanda/corbax/lord thus you may only take 1. Samus and khabanda actually are both crimson fury so if the warlord bit wasnt there you could use both.

Anyone realise that the Lord of Ruinstorm has no limit on how many psyker lvls they can take?

It didn't occur to me until I used the QM template

Ye I guess it's a typo, should be fixed at level 3

I don't find Samus that bad for the effect it brings and the damage potential VS vehicles whch the army lack

Concerning the brutes I'm. Struggling to find them a real purpose apart from. Being ablative wounds for the lord. As they are no Mc they don't do that much damage with no ap apart from the eventual rending

Anyone realise that the Lord of Ruinstorm has no limit on how many psyker lvls they can take?

I don't find Samus that bad for the effect it brings and the damage potential VS vehicles whch the army lack

Concerning the brutes I'm. Struggling to find them a real purpose apart from. Being ablative wounds for the lord. As they are no Mc they don't do that much damage with no ap apart from the eventual rending

Magnus is level 5, so it ain't a typo.

Magnus is level 5, so it ain't a typo.

It doesnt appear to be a typo and Magnus is 5, ahriman 4, new psyarchana let's any ml3 become a 4. But no hard cap what so ever does seem weird. But the stock lord is only actually good from flight and the buffs he can get from psychic powers so maybe it's alright. He still only has a 5++ no other actually relevant saves.

QM imposes a limit of lv6 which I think is fair, it lets you take a full table or spread across multiple tables.

Go to lv42 for over 1000pts to get all the spells by all means but that's one big target to paint on yourself.

Edited by mechadryad

QM imposes a limit of lv6 which I think is fair, it lets you take a full table or spread across multiple tables.

Go to lv42 for over 1000pts to get all the spells by all means but that's one big target to paint on yourself.

I mean at a certain point you are stacking lots of points on a model that will probably f itself over with perils. And honestly it still only has a 5++ and iwnd if you go nurgle. Though warp speed + iron arm + precognition will definetly do damage. I guess if you truly can just pick all spells and 4 levels fiery form for a 4++ is pretty damn nasty to with the reroll. Edited by Purge the Daemon

• 1 month later...

Quick question regarding the Dominions, mainly the god specific ones. It says a unit with this dominion MAY take one of the unique upgrades. Then immediately after says units consisting of multiple models must all take this. The question I have is does this sound like:

1) It's a poorly worded line saying that all models in the unit must take it or none at all

2) If you are a solo model you have a choice, but if you're a unit tough :cuss you gotta take it

The exact wording of one is below for reference:

"Any unit in this detachment may take the Miasma of Rot emmanation; if the unit consists of multiple models then all models in the unit must take this upgrade"

Either option sounds plausible but I wanted to get some opinions from other people on it.

Thanks <3

I theoriesed a few builds for the army, and I tend to inevitably end with at least 5x 20 units of Lesser demons without any Emanations for a nice round 1200 pts... I feel that adding most upgrades turns cheap and efficent 2w bodies into point sinks. I can hardly imagine wanting a 20+ pts lesser demon.

Anyone have similiar thoughts?