Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Focus announces multiple new Warhammer games

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Wispy

Wispy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,621 posts

last time GW did a full exclusivity with a publisher for the IP was with THQ. obviously putting all their eggs in that basket didn't exactly work out...

Volt

Volt

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,595 posts
  • Faction: Anges de Vindication

Hopefully Streunom doesn't completely abandon Deathwing for whatever new thing they're working on.

+Quod vult valde vult+

Subtle Discord

Subtle Discord

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,925 posts
  • Faction: Black Legion, Dark Mechanicus

last time GW did a full exclusivity with a publisher for the IP was with THQ. obviously putting all their eggs in that basket didn't exactly work out...

GW has consciously gone in a different direction since their earlier digital products. They're being much more liberal with their license and letting the gems shine while letting the chaff quickly fade, rather than trying to find the one right studio from the get-go. It's a unique way of doing it and seems to be working for them. I'm not sure if it's being done with a plan to discover the smaller up-and-coming studio/s that they'll settle in to working with long-term, or if they have other plans. I'm just glad to see them leveraging their IP for digital products more seriously again. It's such a fertile setting to use as a backdrop and it's such a great crossover that can introduce so many people to the tabletop game that wouldn't even know/care that it existed and/or have misconceptions about the game. I was actually working for GW back when Dawn of War was still reasonably fresh and more than one army was started while I was there because of that game.

• Akylas, Silas7 and Hungry Nostraman Lizard like this

"The old galaxy is dying, and the new galaxy struggles to be born; now is the time of monsters."

mKdOZh3.png
ztXgauq.png
MlwLia9.png

Hungry Nostraman Lizard

Hungry Nostraman Lizard

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 267 posts
  • Faction: Night Lords

GW has consciously gone in a different direction since their earlier digital products. They're being much more liberal with their license and letting the gems shine while letting the chaff quickly fade, rather than trying to find the one right studio from the get-go. It's a unique way of doing it and seems to be working for them. I'm not sure if it's being done with a plan to discover the smaller up-and-coming studio/s that they'll settle in to working with long-term, or if they have other plans. I'm just glad to see them leveraging their IP for digital products more seriously again. It's such a fertile setting to use as a backdrop and it's such a great crossover that can introduce so many people to the tabletop game that wouldn't even know/care that it existed and/or have misconceptions about the game. I was actually working for GW back when Dawn of War was still reasonably fresh and more than one army was started while I was there because of that game.

Interesting tidbit.

My pitch would be, hear me out, an astartes combat game. You drop pod in, controlling the descent to some extent - much like that old 360 game did it, and I suppose Apex does it now. I'd love a game to be set in the Age of Darkness/30k, marine on marine style. 

J25oay8.jpg

MARK0SIAN

MARK0SIAN

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 949 posts
So long as nothing somersaults or backflips that isn’t supposed to I’m looking forward to it :)
  • NiceGuyAdi and Maritn like this

Apothecary Vaddon

Apothecary Vaddon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,167 posts
  • Faction: n/a, don't do TT

I'd be surprised if Astartes couldn't roll...

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 16,302 posts
  • Faction: Knights of Baal

I'd be surprised if Astartes couldn't roll...

They can in PA, but they can't do backflips and similar stuff in TDA.

Disclaimer:

If my posts appear rude to you, I apologize. It's not meant to be rude in any way, it's just the way folks are in my country. It's really more about being direct than being rude. I know how it's perceived in the english speaking community and I already try to tone it down but I barely notice when it's too much since it's normal for me.

So yeah, I'm really not rude it's basically just cultural differences that act against me here. Again, I apologize.

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpg

Slave to Darkness

Slave to Darkness

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,731 posts
  • Location:The Labyrinth, realm of limitless eternal pain and pleasure . AKA Kings Lynn, Norfolk.
  • Faction: Chaos and Wolves

Still waiting for the Necromunda and Dark Future games to get finished... -.-

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the centre of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

gallery_29004_9303_22505.png

Blog - Gates of Helvete

''Help! Help! I'm being repressed!!!'' - Dennis the Peasant, England. 932 A.D.

Magos Takatus

Magos Takatus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,459 posts

Dark Future, eh? I recall seeing footage of that a while back. It's a heck of an old game to base that project on. I'm curious about it. I only have one second-hand White Dwarf that mentions it so I'd like to know more. That Necromunda game hass been quiet for a while. I hope it's not stuck in development hell. :/

Formerly known as Flame Boy since about 1999. Time for a change! :)

My Adeptus Mechanicus Plog: http://www.bolterand...og-torburnides/

My Ork Plog: http://www.bolterand...oys-orky-horde/

https://www.instagra.../magos_takatus/

Apothecary Vaddon

Apothecary Vaddon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,167 posts

From their forums it just seems like they're still in the midst of development. Company size is pegged at 30 on LinkedIn, so it's a pretty tiny studio. Larger than 'working out of our garage' but not much more so...doubt they even have a community manager or anything, it's probably Focus that manages all that for them. Not too surprised that we haven't seen anything from them since middle/late last year.

Slave to Darkness

Slave to Darkness

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,731 posts
  • Location:The Labyrinth, realm of limitless eternal pain and pleasure . AKA Kings Lynn, Norfolk.
  • Faction: Chaos and Wolves

Actually had a thought about 'Munda, maybe its taking so long because the looks of gangs have changed and the weapons have been expanded since 1st ed. Might be waiting for the new stuff to come out so people can play  todaymunda not yestermunda.

Buuuuuut thats off topic so.... New games huh, that sounds cool. 

Edited by Slave to Darkness, 15 April 2019 - 09:10 AM.

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the centre of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

gallery_29004_9303_22505.png

Blog - Gates of Helvete

''Help! Help! I'm being repressed!!!'' - Dennis the Peasant, England. 932 A.D.

Sparika

Sparika

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 80 posts

So do Focus have some sort of exclusivity from GW now or do they just happen to get the lion's share of IP licenses?

GW has given the license out to SEGA, Fatshark, Slitherine, among many others. Only reason Focus Home seems to get more is because they have a fair amount of studios that they publish games for. 

Now, most of these studios are quite tiny and are really honestly indie, which results in a mediocre at best quality for most of the games, but Armada 2 and Vermintide stand out as good games amongst that group.

Here's a good current list of games. 

https://en.wikipedia...arhammer_40,000

The list also shows the difference between a true exclusivity agreement, and what they're doing now (dime a dozen dishing out of the license around like no one's business)

Focus actually published Blood Bowl 1 and 2, Mordheim, Battlefleet Gothic 1 and 2, Space Hulk Deathwing (with Streumon), and Space Hulk Tactics. I would not call any of these games mediocre.
Vermintide is actually an indie game since Fatshark seems to have published it alone.

"If you see me, it's already too late"

echo-station-1-9.base-echo.net  -- my blog, in french

Apothecary Vaddon

Apothecary Vaddon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,167 posts

So do Focus have some sort of exclusivity from GW now or do they just happen to get the lion's share of IP licenses?

GW has given the license out to SEGA, Fatshark, Slitherine, among many others. Only reason Focus Home seems to get more is because they have a fair amount of studios that they publish games for. 

Now, most of these studios are quite tiny and are really honestly indie, which results in a mediocre at best quality for most of the games, but Armada 2 and Vermintide stand out as good games amongst that group.

Here's a good current list of games. 

https://en.wikipedia...arhammer_40,000

The list also shows the difference between a true exclusivity agreement, and what they're doing now (dime a dozen dishing out of the license around like no one's business)

Focus actually published Blood Bowl 1 and 2, Mordheim, Battlefleet Gothic 1 and 2, Space Hulk Deathwing (with Streumon), and Space Hulk Tactics. I would not call any of these games mediocre.
Vermintide is actually an indie game since Fatshark seems to have published it alone.

Microhome is listed as the publisher of the original Blood Bowl, not Focus, unless you mean the 2009 version. Steam pages are lukewarm on most of these games, generally resting within the 50-70% range, so sure, if you want to call them good games I don't really have an issue with that. Just defining what you consider mediocre vs good. 

I'm aware that Vermintide was published by Fatshark...

Sparika

Sparika

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 80 posts

When you say "Only reason Focus Home seems to get more is because they have a fair amount of studios that they publish games for. Now, most of these studios are [...]", "these" refers to the studio working with Focus. Apparently, you meant "the set of all studios producing GW games".

So I was commenting on "these" studios, working with Focus. Which are actually not that numerous (5 studios for 5 series) and all produced game that I consider really good.

"If you see me, it's already too late"

echo-station-1-9.base-echo.net  -- my blog, in french

Nova_Dew

Nova_Dew

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 353 posts

Or they could be doing another Forge World, Marauder Miniatures thing, Invest in small companies and then if they turn a profit from your IP buy them out.

Apothecary Vaddon

Apothecary Vaddon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,167 posts

When you say "Only reason Focus Home seems to get more is because they have a fair amount of studios that they publish games for. Now, most of these studios are [...]", "these" refers to the studio working with Focus. Apparently, you meant "the set of all studios producing GW games".

So I was commenting on "these" studios, working with Focus. Which are actually not that numerous (5 studios for 5 series) and all produced game that I consider really good.

No, it doesn't, I listed out SEGA, Fatshark, Sliterine, as well as Focus...

"GW has given the license out to SEGA, Fatshark, Slitherine, among many others"

"these" refers to all of the above listed. Maybe you missed that part of my post?

Whether you consider them really good is a little less relevant, as someone might also consider Eternal Crusade really good, but the fact of the matter is, player numbers and approval ratings are largely what make a game 'good' or 'mediocre' or 'bad'. 

edit

ah, reading my post again - yeah I see where you read that. my b

Edited by Apothecary Vaddon, 16 April 2019 - 05:29 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users