Acolyte's Alpha Legion - Sorcerer Lord and Cultists done!

TheAcolyte

Hello!

My name's George, and I'm an alcoho...wait no, wrong addiction. I've been around Warhammer for 15 years or so now, but haven't really played or painted anything seriously since becoming an adult. I'm finally finishing university, figuring out my life etc., and I'm finding that I actually have free time again!

Chaos Space Marines were my first models ever, and the new Chaos release got me really excited to get back into Warhammer properly - I've played 3 games of 8th edition with some Primaris and some Death Guard thanks to Conquest magazine, but I've not been very eager to paint them. These guys on the other hand...

I've always been terrible at painting whole armies, and so before I started this diary I decided to get a decent chunk painted first. I'm starting with a 1,000 point army list, probably going up to 2,000 in the end. So the units to build and paint so far are...

• Chaos Lord in Terminator Armour
  • Sorcerer Lord on bike
  • 2x 5 man Chaos Space Marine squads
  • 15 Cultists
  • Helbrute
  • 2 Obliterators
  • 10 Khorne Berserkers

Before they disappeared, I got myself a Chaos Start Collecting box, as I wanted some old-school Chaos Space Marines for posterity - and hopefully, to help convert my Berserkers - more on those later. This also got me my Lord, some bits for the Sorcerer and the Helbrute. A box of the new Chaos Space Marines rounded out my initial purchases.

So now - painted models! Spoiler because big images.

gallery_155660_15389_462027.jpg

gallery_155660_15389_75837.jpg

My Chaos Lord. Came third in my local GW's monthly painting contest too, which is the best I've ever done.

gallery_155660_15389_162062.jpg

First squad. Spot the old CSM bits! There's only four, and only three are visible.

gallery_155660_15389_59957.jpg

Second squad. I realise I probably should have given the Aspiring Champions chainswords, but ah well.

gallery_155660_15389_378963.jpg

The army so far!

Next up is my Sorcerer Lord and my cultists - all built, with the Sorcerer basecoated. For cultists, I wanted a little variety and so I've mixed in a few Guardsmen with Skitari heads - they seemed fitting. We'll see if I can be bothered to green stuff some more details onto them, but I feel like they're good enough now - after all, they are just chod.

WIP photos:

gallery_155660_15389_52643.jpg

My Sorcerer Lord - spent a little extra ( Edited by TheAcolyte

Thank you for the kind replies! Just starting on my cultists now, wanted a break from silver trim.

Just starting with the Alpha Legion too. Loving your work there. What colours did you use?

This video came out on the same day I was debating whether to start Alpha Legion or not. I'm using Stormhost Silver instead of Leadbelcher, and gloss Nuln Oil on the silver instead however. 

• 2 weeks later...

So, busy preparing for exams, but made some progress! Am kinda excited at this point, getting pretty close to my 1,000 point army being done. I'm hoping to get it done before June - I have my final university exams in a couple of weeks [and on my birthday too, grumble..], but after that I'm free!

So, firstly I got my cultists done. Having less detailed models was a nice break after all the silver trim on the Marines. And just now, I finished my Sorcerer Lord - there's little bits on him I might touch up in future, but it's good enough for right-now-Acolyte at least

Pictures:

gallery_155660_15389_845980.jpg

gallery_155660_15389_1074497.jpg

Pleased with how these turned out. To mix up the models a bit, 7 of them are made out of Cadians with Ad-Mech heads instead - really simple conversion, but I think makes the unit a lot less samey. There's more I could do with them, but it was way too much effort for me. They have some of my Alpha Legion blue to them, but I chose the red as well to differentiate them - they're cannon fodder Mere Mortals, not Heretic Astartes after all.

gallery_155660_15389_792390.jpg

gallery_155660_15389_311102.jpg

First model on a bike I've made in at least a decade. Wish I'd made him after the new CSM kit had come out so I could have used the new pauldrons on him, but ah well.

gallery_155660_15389_5482.jpg

gallery_155660_15389_957983.jpg

gallery_155660_15389_94460.jpg

And this is the painted army so far!

And so my 1,000 point army is nearing completion! I have allllmost everything I need now to build and paint the full army - just a couple of chainswords and pauldrons to order from the new CSM box. But like last time, I have some WIP photos too.

Works in progress:

gallery_155660_15389_906992.jpg

gallery_155660_15389_772149.jpg

Helbrute is magnetised thanks to this guide. I didn't do every weapon or combination, I'll wait until I want to change the loadout - but I've done the shoulders so that I can have every option still if I wish.

gallery_155660_15389_128537.jpg

My Obliterators. I assumed GW would be releasing these as a stand-alone kit as well, so ended up paying

I think your models would look even better with just a simple black base rim. The teal/ blue you are doing is too much and clashes with your paintjob. Black base rim would be a better contrast. 

I like the teal trim myself, but I might be more used to that, since the standard in my play group is indeed to paint the base rim with a primary color of the army. Edited by Kite Senet