Lhorke's Projects: Hounds of Abaddon (and now the Heresy!)

Hello all,

My gaming group is developing a narrative campaign in which we fight over an Imperial world ruled by a knight household. As the resident chaos player in this group, I will be fielding the majority of the heretic forces. I already have a sizable World Eaters army, however the new releases have prompted me to finally give in a build a force of Black Legion, specifically Hounds of Abaddon.

I've built the contents of shadowspear and have painted some of it. So far I have not done any conversions. I love these new kits and wanted to have a few units built as intended. However, all of my newer units from this point on will feature some minor conversions.

Here are the Chaos Space Marines from Shadowspear and Blackstone Fortress. I am not a strong painter by any means, so black has proven to be a challenge. However, I think these are at least painted to an acceptable table-top standard. I used the loincloths to try and improve my shading and highlighting.

med_gallery_100229_13835_302212.jpg

med_gallery_100229_13835_761495.jpg

med_gallery_100229_13835_622166.jpg

med_gallery_100229_13835_63296.jpg

I found some unused chosen from the Dark Vengeance box.

med_gallery_100229_13835_901526.jpg

And finally, a true veteran of the Long War will be returning to the fight once his paint is finished. I am oddly attached to this model. It was one of the first that I ever purchased and I have never been able to convince myself to part with it.

med_gallery_100229_13835_857277.jpg

C+C is welcome!

Edited by Lhorke The First

Thanks for the comments everybody!

Brother Callidan: Once I finish the old dreadnought I've got another 10 man squad of chaos space marines to paint. I'll probably prime those tonight. And as usual, I have more World Eaters waiting in the wings.

After those are finished, I will try to kitbash an appropriate chaos lord for this force. This guywill be purpose built for the upcoming campaign. According to the narrative we have written so far, he is Lord Torgad Canis, a former legionary of the Sons of Horus. He has been tasked with the destruction of the knight world of Barathor in order to claim the house's vast wealth and war engines for the Hounds of Abaddon. I just lack a miniature that is appropriately sized so as to not be dwarfed by his own troops (I don't want to use a primaris marine body). I already have plenty of arm, weapon, pauldron, and head options. I just need a model to convert. I was thinking about using a character from the heresy range. Anybody have any ideas?

I do not know what set up you want for you lord but Khârn gets my vote for conversion. I love his miniature and he is an awesome model for a leader in the Hounds of Abbadon. He also has great bulk to him so he won't be dwarfed by his boys. 

I do not know what set up you want for you lord but Khârn gets my vote for conversion. I love his miniature and he is an awesome model for a leader in the Hounds of Abbadon. He also has great bulk to him so he won't be dwarfed by his boys. 

I was actually thinking the same thing. Swap out gorechild for a powersword, and use a different head and shoulder pauldrons and the model should look different enough to pass for another chaos lord. The only thing I wasn't too sure on was his size. I have 40k Khârn and I know he is big, but I wasn't sure about the heresy version.

Thanks for the comment Midnightmare!

I managed to get a little more work done on the old metal dreadnought this afternoon. This primarily includes the bare metal parts, some of the hoses, and the majority of the plasma cannon.

med_gallery_100229_13835_937042.jpg

med_gallery_100229_13835_567785.jpg

I am still trying to decide how to paint the close combat arm, as I don't want it to be completely leadbelcher.

Thanks for looking.

Love that old metal dread, and the classic contrast with the red on the weapons. As far as contrast on the power scourge, we all painted the weapon tips and joints brass back in the day. Maybe something like that would work for you?

I managed to make some more progress on the old metal dreadnought. I decided to go with the classic paint scheme for the power scourge, and painted the ends and joints brass. The dread is mostly finished at this point except for the base, some highlights, and the required blood spatter (I am still a World Eater at heart after all). I'm also thinking about adding a touch of typhus corrosion to some of the exposed machinery.

Say hello to Vipus, the oldest Veteran of the Long War in my warband and the bodyguard of Lord Torgad Canis. When awake Vipus is never far from his commander's side, watching over him both on the field of battle and on the bridge of Eternity's Reaver. Although he maintains a level of control seldom seen among the dreadnoughts and helbrutes of the Traitor Legions, he is not lacking in ferocity.

med_gallery_100229_13835_391394.jpg

med_gallery_100229_13835_885506.jpg

med_gallery_100229_13835_350987.jpg

med_gallery_100229_13835_228702.jpg

I'm still not sure how I want to base this guy. I have a sector mechanicus base that is the right size. I thought it might be interesting to use that in order to represent the deck of the warband's strike cruiser Eternity's Reaver. It could look as if Vipus is standing guard over the bridge. Any ideas?

As always, C+C welcome.

Love that old guy! Looking great, nice execution on a classic model. I like the idea of the sector mechanicus base; maybe you could kitbash together a small terminal or something similar to convey the idea that it's the bridge of the ship?

Old school dred for the win.

Yes, I'm so glad I never got rid of this guy. 

Love that old guy! Looking great, nice execution on a classic model. I like the idea of the sector mechanicus base; maybe you could kitbash together a small terminal or something similar to convey the idea that it's the bridge of the ship?

Thanks! That is a great idea, I think I have some old console bits from a rhino somewhere.

Love the old-school dreadnought and background. Plasma cannon looks so cool. Keep up the good work

Cheers

Primarch83

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

What about basing Vipus standing over a destroyed "new age" dreadnought? Show the new style who's boss kinda thing. The idea of having him on the deck of the ship is cool too. Protecting the bridge from teleportation.

Cheers

Primarch83

You paint well pal, i can see the effort in every legionarie, for example, tabards and metal are well executed. Whit a proper base: whit some texture paint, death guards bits and drilling the holes of the guns, they will be superb, for sure!.

Thanks for the compliment Sargeant Centurion! I must say it has been a struggle just to get my painting standards to this point. I actually just found my old rotary tool so I will be drilling out the barrels as soon as I get the chance. I'm also still trying to decide on the basing. Maybe snow to contrast with the color scheme?

What about basing Vipus standing over a destroyed "new age" dreadnought? Show the new style who's boss kinda thing. The idea of having him on the deck of the ship is cool too. Protecting the bridge from teleportation.

Cheers

Primarch83

Ok, that would be awesome! Maybe I'll give it a try if I can find a cheap one on ebay. And yes, that was my idea for the ship deck base. In my fluff (which I need to actually post here) Vipus protects the bridge from teleportation strikes, etc. However, you have given me something to think about.

Damn, that helbrute is a real veteran. You're right about the typhus corrosion, I think - a little rust and grime would add character to that bare metal.

Sometimes it pays to never get rid of your old minis! I recently picked up some typhus corrosion from the store, so I will give it a try soon.

Thanks for the feedback everybody, and apologies for the lack of updates. I just moved into a new (to me) house and have not had the chance to unpack my 40k stuff yet. I'm hoping to make some progress this weekend and have something to post.

• 4 weeks later...

Alright, it has been far longer than intended since I last updated this thread. I just made my first ETL vow for this year.

One squad of Khorne Berzerkers. These were assembled to go with my World Eaters army, but I plan on using the berzerkers from that force to supplement the Hounds of Abaddon. I kitbashed these before the new chaos space marines were released. Happily, they do not look much smaller when compared to the new sculpts thanks to the additional height of the Deathwatch legs.

med_gallery_100229_13835_929949.jpg

med_gallery_100229_13835_1357330.jpg

Aspiring Champion

med_gallery_100229_13835_16893.jpg

med_gallery_100229_13835_572380.jpg

med_gallery_100229_13835_139440.jpg

And one squad of chaos space marines.

med_gallery_100229_13835_87922.jpg

I will do my best to get this first vow finished relatively quickly. I have quite a bit in my backlog waiting to be painted, including two oblits, a venomcrawler, heavy bolter havocs, a sorceror, a Spartan, and big bad Abaddon himself.

Great update! I am digging the berzerkers and the use of the DW legs goes well with the FW upgrade kit. The legs give them really good motion so I will have to remember that for future use.

Best of luck on the vow.

• 5 months later...

It has been a long time since I updated this thread so I thought I should do so while I had a chance.

I completed a contemptor dread and a venomcrawler for the Hounds of Abaddon. I still need to come up with some fluff for the dread, but my rough idea at the moment is that he was enclosed in a stasis field on a disabled Sons of Horus warship after the heresy, hence the limited mutations/spikey parts. Canis and his warriors happened upon the ship and incorporated the contemptor into the warband. I plan on adding trophies and other parts as I play games to show his gradual corruption by chaos.

med_gallery_100229_13835_1712500.jpg

I also completed these berzerkers some time ago. They are World Eaters, but I will second them to the Hounds of Abaddon when required. I also really enjoyed the moment Kh Edited by Lhorke The First