Possessed Uber-unit

Cryptix

Yeah, I run my giant mob of possessed for casual games where I run my non-painted daemonkin army. I have 48 zerkers though, and I run them hard. They can benefit from sorcerors outside of WE, they have the icon of wrath, fight twice on their own and three times with a stratagem. They're mean as the eye of terror. Not much can really compete with them in melee, sadly. I wish that possessed had a ranged magical attack like doombolt in DoW.

I'm not sure possessed demand tons of support. Yes between herald locis, greater possessed, sorcerers, exalted champions and dark apostles you can throw a ton of extra buffs on possessed for a lot of points, but I feel like the only ones that are really required to make possessed function as a pretty decent melee block is a MoP, potentially in the daemonkin ritualists detachment. Those two buffs help mitigate the worse rule of possessed, the d3 attack, and given my standard list now is a dual red corsairs battalion I'm hardly lacking in the CPs for that detachment.

Yes, there's no doubt bezerkers may be more efficient for their pts. But I think it's safe to say possessed aren't a terrible unit anymore after a little investment to help keep them more effective.

Well here’s where I draw my conclusions.... I’m going to guess about 20 games with old Renegades rules in effect for Zerkers and Possessed. Zerkers win by a country mile.

Post Vigilus... about 5 games of either/or Zerkers and Possessed.... Zerkers by a wide margin.

All I ask is you play 5 moderately competitive games with both units and let me know which you like better, both from a cost effective , and a micromanagement stand point.

I'm a fan of playtesting so I will have to give that a shot. I don't currently own any bezerkers but I plan on making some out of the shadowspear chainsword guys plus some new marines. 

My experimental list:

Triple Battalion (AL, RC, and Slaanesh) with almost 400 points to spare (Minimum Daemonette, Cultists, and CSMs).

20 Alpha Legion Possessed, IoE.

Daemonkin Ritualists (Shepherd of the True Faith)
Sorcerer (Prescience + Delightful Agonies)
Huron (Warptime)
2x Dark Apostle (Benediction of Darkness and Soultearer Portent)
Exalted Champion
Master of Possessions  (Cursed Earth and Mutated Invigoration)
Daemonkin Ritualists (Vessels for the Neverborn)
Herald of Slaanesh (Hysterical Frenzy + Locus)
Greater Possessed (Stackable Locus)
Strats: Vessels of the Neverborn, VotLW, Forward Operatives.
Post-AL Scout Move, you have 19 CPs. 

9" AL Scout Move, Warptime them for a total 12," hopefully giving them a real short charge. 

IF everything goes off (I doubt you'd need more than half of it), you're looking at -2 to hit beyond 12." +1A and re-rolling number of As, 2+ to hit re-rolling (6s are MWs, and exploding 4s vs Imperium), S8 rerolling (with +2 to wound, that's wounding Knights on 2+), and 3+/4++/5+++ saves. They then attack twice per turn with Hysterical Frenzy. 

I honestly don't think there's a single unit that can survive this, if it all gets into touch. I really wish we could give DAs a bike like the Loyalists can. 

d01.jpg

Edit: Dangit, I can't squeeze in the extra DA and it's around 300pt left to spend.

Edited by ChazSexington

Okay so hypothetical here, but let’s say I have my last tournament Deathguard army here and I go first against that list with 2 flame drones and 2 flame Plagueburstcrawlers. It’s not something I can see you getting out of because it so resilient and you don’t have any real ranged pinch to buy yourself time.

Conversely something that is bugging me about my own ‘fun’ Possessed lists is the growing meta of Ynarri flyers. I don’t think I can interact with those at all.

Okay so hypothetical here, but let’s say I have my last tournament Deathguard army here and I go first against that list with 2 flame drones and 2 flame Plagueburstcrawlers. It’s not something I can see you getting out of because it so resilient and you don’t have any real ranged pinch to buy yourself time.

Conversely something that is bugging me about my own ‘fun’ Possessed lists is the growing meta of Ynarri flyers. I don’t think I can interact with those at all.

I would only charge one and then tag the rest, then charge them with Fiends of Slaanesh, if I can. I'm considering including Warp Talons in a Host Raptorial in the list, but then I must go for the T2 charge, and I don't feel like doing that is going to help much.

But in general, aye, massed flamers or Flyers are a massive issue for the list, but it should massacre anything else if it goes first, and maybe even second.

I think that Lootas and Dark Reapers (Due to ignoring the -2 to hit) might be an issue as well, or Knights that deploy all the way back. 

I considered doing an uber Obliterator unit with Chosen of the Pantheon - same concept more or less. Ditched the idea though because of Vect killing it stone dead by shutting down Chosen of the Pantheon. Too many fail points aside from that for my liking. I don't like a unit that the entire army has to effectively build around! 

I would say, that a Possessed Detachement is like the Custodes: Best as a side dish, not the main course.

My thoughts too. I stick mine in a rhino with a Greater Possessed and a MoP. They make for a scary little speedbump, and they're fun. Not great, but fun. And they scare my opponent... They tend to ignore all of my havocs when Possessed are in their face turn two. But I also prefer a "death by 1000 cuts" approach, versus death stars.

And if we're being honest, that master of possessions is probably going to get cut. The rerolls are nice, sometimes, and cursed Earth... Meh. Might stick a lord with them, might just save points and adds ninth body.