Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Book 9: Your thoughts

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 19,759 posts

If we are getting Terminator and ground bikes as our special units, I would love to see them interact to recreate the Dark Angels gameplay of old - bikes rushing in for the Terminator teleport assault.
That would make me happy

I can't see that happening personally.

That's (what it seems) to be two different wings in action, Deathwing and Ravenwing, ala 40k.

In 30k it seems that the DA operate as a generic legion and then will go all in on a single wing as per the battle dictates. However they may mix...

Slips

Slips

++ ARCHIMAGIRUS RUDIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 13,622 posts
  • Faction: V,VII,IX,XII,XV Legions

Manage your expectations because the more anyone hopes for X/Y/Z to be included in the book, the more disappointed they will ultimately be when they aren't.

And as we've seen with Blood Angels and Sanguinary Guard, FW are more inclined to give a legion a unit that doesnt have a direct equivalent (or plastic kit, take it however you want) with a few exceptions.

Dont go into it blindly proclaiming that "If FW doesnt do exactly x/y/z then they absolutely fail!" because thats pretty much something no company can really accomplish.

Keep expectations as low as possible because that way you can either never be disappointed because you werent expecting anything to begin with or be pleasantly surprised by something you werent expecting. Much healthier than buying the book and chucking it into a fire because it wasnt a 100% crystal clear reproduction of everything you had imagined the Dark Angels to be.

• battle captain corpus, Ranwulf and Mango Polo like this

Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

++Part of the ship...Part of the Crew++

+] Use the Report Button! [+

StruManChu

StruManChu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 690 posts
The difficulty is that until Book 9 drops, we don't actually know the full detail of what the Dark Angels Legion actually is, other than what we've been able to glean from the novels, because we don't have a Black Book to tell us what they are or were. As much as we might nitpick or disagree with their content, the Black Books are gospel, and that's just that.

Besides which, Terminators and Bikes, i.e the Deathwing and the Ravenwing, came to the forefront of the Dark Angels AFTER the Fall. The Fall was obviously a cataclysmic event for the I Legion, and the shame of it has echoed through the millennia. They shifted their entire modus operandi and culture in order to kill or capture the fallen so as to wipe the stain from their honour.

And that's the key. They shifted. They changed. To expect a focus on Terminators and Bikes is too limiting because the I Legion weren't desperately hiding the secret that killed their Primarch yet.

I love the idea of the First as a testbed Legion, because the Lion strikes me as a 'by any means' type of warlord. He's 100%, purely loyal to the Emperor, and is not at all concerned about the opinion or the approval of others. He's playing to an audience of one, and if the Emperor approves, that's enough. 'Loyalty is its on reward', after all. It makes sense, in my head, for the Lion and his Legion to make use of whatever weapons or wargear might get the job done, regardless of those method's palatability to the other legions.
  • Sandlemad, Saphrael, LetsYouDown and 1 other like this

Stru is correct.

My Plog - Tales of a Lazy Hobbyist

Part of the ship, part of the crew...

Noserenda

Noserenda

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,225 posts
  • Faction: Scythes of the Emperor

Heh, id have said by spitting on the Sanguinary guard you probably wont see Deathwing and Ravenwing units tbh, especially the conveyed attitude towards that from Anuj which is a huge factor against the new team tbh...

Meh, on a positive not im hoping we see some releases for Sisters of Silence to make them a functional army given how utterly ignored they have been so far. One awkward/inflexible plastic kit, one near pointless upgrade kit and one sweet tank, rumoured Jetbikes, and some more upgrades/models for all their missing units before we get Custodes on... *rolls dice* Hover boards wielding... *rolls dice* Hadocks. :P 

34625419033_b96a180fe5_o.png

The_Bloody

The_Bloody

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 553 posts
  • Faction: World Eaters, Dark Angels
Hey, I'm not the one who said we'll be getting Terminators and bikes, which happen to be the two most iconic DA units since ever. You could even argue that It Is a bit unimaginative for pre-"shift" Dark Angels.
I Just added that at this point, I would personally like to see them interact for nostalgia's sake. I recognize it's unlikely to happen.

I don't really have any hard expectation. I know I'll be happy regardless.
Still, this seems like the right topic to let fantasy slip a little bit while we wait... That's all we have for the moment :)

Edited by The_Bloody, 15 April 2019 - 04:06 AM.

rendingon1+

rendingon1+

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,233 posts

I think that DA definitely should get terminators for two reasons:

1. EVERY legion except for NL, RG and WB got them. (not counting Fists because even lacking legion specific terminator unit they have the best terminators in the game). Hell, even Scars have essentially two special terminator units

2. Fluff. That DA have deathwing terminators in 40k is irrevelant. 30k Deathwing and Dreadwing are trademark DA formations at the moment, Oone is (probably) pure Terminator force other has Terminator squads too. Holguin and his Deathwing appear to be Lion's favorites either.

As for bikes...no. I wouldn't even mind if instead of getting special unit we got more options to further customize veteran squad. Like: artificer armour, combat shields, more heavy/special weapons per squad, breacher shields etc. Some options could be Protocol dependant.

• StruManChu likes this

StruManChu

StruManChu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 690 posts
Ok, agreed on the Terminators. I should've been more specific about not getting 40k-style Deathwing/Knight-esque Terminators. A legion specific unit of Termies is basically a gimme, but I'd much rather they were Dreadwing flavoured than Deathwing, for the same reason as there isn't a 30k specific Sanguinary Guard unit.

Stru is correct.

My Plog - Tales of a Lazy Hobbyist

Part of the ship, part of the crew...

Captain_Krash

Captain_Krash

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 846 posts
  • Faction: Lamenters

More Night Lords stuff perhaps as well? Making them one of the more extremely fleshed out Traitor legions. Not just in models, but rites/special rules etc.

Krash

• Ghorgul likes this

Ad Victoriam

noigrim

noigrim

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,378 posts
  • Faction: Marines , Custodes, Guard, IK
Abandon ye all hope.
Wolves didn't get wulfen, angels sanguinary so the best you can do is expect nothing. They would rather release new resin units than make rules compatible with plastics.
I'm gonna use dawnbreakers as sanguinary btw

Edited by noigrim, 16 April 2019 - 10:30 PM.

Sense%2Bt%C3%ADtol%2B%282%29.pngETL_2015_Banner_01_Oath_of_Moment.jpgUntitled-1.jpgL_T_3_2017_Badge_02_Chaplain.jpgImg_CH00_08Awards_08_L_T_2013.gifL_T_3_2017_Medals.gifETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei01.gifETL_2018_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei_03.gifETL_2018_Medal_03_Primus_Interpares_02.gETL_Medal_03.gifgallery_48988_15151_1303.pngZg0FFzL.jpg

Mango Polo

Mango Polo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 354 posts

Abandon ye all hope.
Wolves didn't get wulfen, angels sanguinary so the best you can do is expect nothing. They would rather release new resin units than make rules compatible with plastics.

I mean, have you ever actually supported Forge World? I don't care where or how people get their Heresy on, but you can't then turn around and snap at FW for not giving you toys when you recast everything :D

I don't fault them for wanting to make sure that their range is unique and differentiated from GW's.

• ThatOneMarshal likes this

ShadowCore67

ShadowCore67

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 320 posts
Any word on a 4th unit for DA? Every other newer legion has been getting 4 units.

The robots sound cool but that's not really what I was hoping for with DA. The rite mechanic and outriders and terminators seem interesting.

I really hope for they get rid of either the sword restriction or equal ws restriction on the legion rules.

rendingon1+

rendingon1+

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,233 posts

Abandon ye all hope.

I mean, have you ever actually supported Forge World? I don't care where or how people get their Heresy on, but you can't then turn around and snap at FW for not giving you toys when you recast everything biggrin.png

I don't fault them for wanting to make sure that their range is unique and differentiated from GW's.

I did in the past, when their prices were resonabale, miniatures range was decent and expanding + though not perfect in interacting with community, at the very least they were kind of honest and were not lying in the face. They only money they get from me now is for the black/red book and transfer sheets, anything else I can buy from Orient and truth be told...they have better customer service, price and quality than FW. Not ot mention bonuses, I stopped buying FW resin after I got an order with 5 sets of umbra bolters that were literally riddled with bubbles. Even though I've sent them 4 emails, all with picture,s got no response. Well, it was 5 emails actually in 5th i told them to :cuss themselves. 

noigrim

noigrim

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,378 posts
  • Faction: Marines , Custodes, Guard, IK
Plus you don't need to give the models a soap wash

Sense%2Bt%C3%ADtol%2B%282%29.pngETL_2015_Banner_01_Oath_of_Moment.jpgUntitled-1.jpgL_T_3_2017_Badge_02_Chaplain.jpgImg_CH00_08Awards_08_L_T_2013.gifL_T_3_2017_Medals.gifETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei01.gifETL_2018_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei_03.gifETL_2018_Medal_03_Primus_Interpares_02.gETL_Medal_03.gifgallery_48988_15151_1303.pngZg0FFzL.jpg

ShadowCore67

ShadowCore67

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 320 posts

Abandon ye all hope.

I mean, have you ever actually supported Forge World? I don't care where or how people get their Heresy on, but you can't then turn around and snap at FW for not giving you toys when you recast everything biggrin.png

I did in the past, when their prices were resonabale, miniatures range was decent and expanding + though not perfect in interacting with community, at the very least they were kind of honest and were not lying in the face. They only money they get from me now is for the black/red book and transfer sheets, anything else I can buy from Orient and truth be told...they have better customer service, price and quality than FW. Not ot mention bonuses, I stopped buying FW resin after I got an order with 5 sets of umbra bolters that were literally riddled with bubbles. Even though I've sent them 4 emails, all with picture,s got no response. Well, it was 5 emails actually in 5th i told them to :cuss themselves.

Excuse my off topic ignorance but what is Orient?

Slips

Slips

++ ARCHIMAGIRUS RUDIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 13,622 posts
  • Faction: V,VII,IX,XII,XV Legions

Chinese recasters, of which we will no longer speak of since its off-topic.

• StruManChu and rendingon1+ like this

Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

++Part of the ship...Part of the Crew++

+] Use the Report Button! [+

b1soul

b1soul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,005 posts
I do like the idea that the Ist Legion had a lot of Terran/Strife technology not fully sanctioned by Mars
  • Charlo and Sir_Gaea like this

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users