The Unification of Terra - update 21/3/23

———————————————————————————————————————————

: ##############

***Data key entry incorrect, please provide correct key to access archived file***

***Data key entry incorrect, please provide correct key to access archived file***

***Data key entry incorrect, further failed attempts will result in file deletion***

: ###############

***Data key accepted, please confirm security clearance code***

: azure

***Clearance code accepted......accessing data file........***

gallery_87021_15393_108422.jpeg

“Brothers, we have realised unity, for after this day we will have achieved the ambition of our creator. Old earth has been dragged from precipice of destruction, what was once fractured will, after this day, be made whole again. Through blood and sacrifice, amidst the savagery that is our way of war, we have maintained the essence of our humanity. Whether by design or by fate, like humanity, we are destined to taste mortality.”

Last words of Arik Taranis, prelude to the battle of Mount Ararat 978.M29

gallery_87021_15393_342618.jpeg

gallery_87021_15393_384192.jpeg

gallery_87021_15393_197254.jpeg

gallery_87021_15393_821657.jpeg

gallery_87021_15393_621113.jpeg

gallery_87021_15393_202095.jpeg

Edited by Cadmus Tyro

Welcome Frater,

Inspired by INQ28 (although, accepting I may never achieve the heights of quality that INQ28 artists can boast), Ive decided to start a new WIP blog focused on small groups of models. I really enjoy the process of creation, and we have never had such a wealth of plastic and third party kits from which to draw inspiration. The blog will be based around the unification of terra, I hope to explore some of the factions at war during this setting as well as, in time, develop a new rule set, drawing ideas from 3rd, 7th, 8th editions of Warhammer 40,000 and Necromunda.

The first advancement into the setting was my vision of a Thunder Warrior. I have borrowed heavily from others (if you run an image search, you will see what I mean), but I have built upon their ideas, taking concepts a step further, standing on the shoulders of giants.

I decided, early on in the process, that the original “Mk1 thunder armour” design by GW, was perhaps not the intended concept for the Thunder warriors. In the new Primarch novel “Ferrus Manus” one of the characters wears Mk1 power armour, so in my mind, there must be a difference between a space marine in Thunder armour and a Thunder warrior. The short extracts of information we have about thunder warriors point towards a creation that is physically the superior of the Adeptus Astartes, but one that was doomed to the ravages of mortality.

I did not intend this first thunder warrior to be Arik Taranis, but felt that a comment from the most prestigious and renown Thunder Warrior, would be a fitting start to the blog.

I hope you enjoy my work as much as I enjoy creating it! Although, a word of warning, this project will be fairly slow in its progress, I’m a 30K die hard at heart, but between painting ceramite, I will turn my hand to this project.

Cadmus Tyro

Very nice start and great use of parts. I especially like the use of the chains, it is really top notch stuff overall. :tu:

Thanks for the kind words Doghouse!

Awesome start to your new project! I would definitely love to see more Thunder Warriors and whatever factions you bring pack from the past.

Thanks Husrong, I have a few more thunder warriors planned, I also have a reasonable idea for the “Tupulov Lancers”, and will probably, at some point explore “the men of iron”. Watch this space.

I like it. How'd you do the chains?

Thanks Feirros. The chains were made from individual strands of fine brass chain cut to size. First, press a small amount of green stuff at the base of the chains. This gives you the opportunity to reposition the chain, once you have pressed it in place. When you are happy with the position, load some superglue onto an old scalpel blade and run it down the chain. You then have a few seconds to reposition the chain before the glue dries (inevitably some of the links will curl up or attach themselves to the adjacent chains).

Hope that helps?

Cadmus

Oh yeah! Just keep it coming! I’m super tempted to try and do a Heralds of Ruin kill team of Thunder Warriors. However, I thought about making one and using it as a mutilator with my Alpha Legion. Maybe they captured and kept it on ice or grew one and just let them loose to murder everything. Far out idea but I think it could work.

Now you’ve given me an idea for an obliterator. A man of iron!

Again, please keep it competing so I can borrow some ideas. ;)

Thanks Feirros. The chains were made from individual strands of fine brass chain cut to size. First, press a small amount of green stuff at the base of the chains. This gives you the opportunity to reposition the chain, once you have pressed it in place. When you are happy with the position, load some superglue onto an old scalpel blade and run it down the chain. You then have a few seconds to reposition the chain before the glue dries (inevitably some of the links will curl up or attach themselves to the adjacent chains).

Hope that helps?

Cadmus

Thanks for the tip. Should be helpful for my Iron Hands once I find the time to work on them. 

Edited by Feirros

That looks great. I’m looking forward to seeing some more.

Thanks war angel, I’m hoping to start building another soon, but it takes a little while.

This guy is looking great. Your work never fails to amaze

Too kind mate, your terminators are something pretty special!

Never skip leg day

Lol, I need to include that as a thunder warriors journal entry “thought for the day”. Perhaps that’s the real reason why they never achieved more than unification?

I think the Tartarus body lends a degree of bulk to the torso, but, in my minds eye, if I strip away the armour I’m fairly happy with the proportions. I remember a small piece of info (it may have been fan based but I still like the idea) that only the upper torso of the thunder warrior was armoured and powered, this combined with their upper body strength meant they were unequaled in combat at the time. I quite like the unnecessary bulk the torso has, it speaks more about the rudimentary technology that would have been in development.

Thanks for making me laugh though!

Cadmus

• 1 year later...

File type: pict capture

Subject: Sergeant Darnaius, 5th tactical squad, 2nd company, VII legion.

Date: 969.M29

gallery_87021_15393_163776.jpeg

gallery_87021_15393_3458.jpeg

gallery_87021_15393_330574.jpeg

gallery_87021_15393_135699.jpeg

gallery_87021_15393_48881.jpeg

gallery_87021_15393_126922.jpeg

Well, I did say this was going to be a slow burn project, but twelve months is a long time!

I’ve done a few individual builds in the last few months, so I may post a few more updates. Couldn’t resist sharing my true scale MKii sergeant!

Here’s a shot for scale next to the Thunder Warrior:

gallery_87021_15393_26813.jpeg

C&C welcome!

Cadmus

Really nice pose, really like the expression and emotion of that face.

Thanks mate, it’s just a standard primaris intercessor head. I’ve always been a little dubious about using primaris scale stuff, as I feel it invalidates my other HH work, but for a small unification project it’s perfect. The detail on the sculpt is much greater than some of the more recent HH plastics.

Fantastic work on that Mk II guy, that is some really clean sculpting there on the torso and legs. :tu:

Thanks doghouse, although I can’t take any credit for the sculpting (I wish I could). It’s a resin truescale MKii kit! The right arm is the intercessor pistol arm, with a vanguard cut and shaped to fit from standard Mkiii. There’s another nine to build, and the first one was a joy to put together!

Wow, love these figs

Cheers!

great work you've inspired me to try that conversion but with the gravis heavy intercessor legs, hope to see more of your work in the future keep up the good work:rolleyes:

Thanks, I’d like to see that. The legs are a little thin around the ankles, but I wanted to keep a more low tech look.

I’ll post some more mini projects soon, and perhaps some warriors from Ursh....when their heads arrive!

Cadmus

~~~~~Incoming file transmission~~~~~

gallery_87021_15393_206797.jpeg

Transmission origin: Kayeurn Mortus, departmento logisticus.

Transmission destination: “project astartes”, multiple user access,

Security clearance level: alpha-four primus.

“My Lords,

It would seem I have stumbled across a solution to the secondary armament of the astartes chassis battle tank (ref. sub file 324).

The high caliber heavy Bolter wielded by this Cataegis would serve as a suitable sponson weapon. Munitorum data suggests we have a significant supply of these weapons and ammunition, which will only increase in time as they see less use.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Kayeurn

~~~~~transmission ends~~~~~

gallery_87021_15393_38837.jpeg

gallery_87021_15393_891653.jpeg

gallery_87021_15393_597448.jpeg

gallery_87021_15393_497724.jpeg

gallery_87021_15393_146297.jpeg

gallery_87021_15393_659999.jpeg

gallery_87021_15393_589974.jpeg

The second thunder warrior! Apologies for those who may have seen him in my other thread, but he really belongs here.

Shot for scale:

gallery_87021_15393_60278.jpeg

Hope you like him!

Cadmus

• 2 months later...

gallery_87021_15393_258374.jpeg

“The Tupelov Lancers, a worthy adversary. Their lightning raids and guerrilla tactics were a thorn ever in the side of our advance. I understand why He gave them the opportunity to enter into the new imperium.....”

Ushotan, Primarch of the 4th legion.

gallery_87021_15393_176411.jpeg

gallery_87021_15393_449298.jpeg

A few more shots of hip without the filters on:

gallery_87021_15393_64942.jpeg

gallery_87021_15393_472663.jpeg

gallery_87021_15393_271917.jpeg

gallery_87021_15393_914788.jpeg

What do you reckon? I’m thinking of making a unit of ten for a militia force....madness.....

Cadmus