Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Potential Scenery Project - Megaton

Necromunda Confrontation Megaton Fallout Wasteland

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Slave to Darkness

Slave to Darkness

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,861 posts
  • Location:The Labyrinth, realm of limitless eternal pain and pleasure . AKA Kings Lynn, Norfolk.
  • Faction: Chaos and Wolves

I was having a chat the other day with my missus about an idea I had combining my love of Necromunda and Post Apoc anything together and building a Megaton games table. Unfortunately I lack the higher brain function to figure certain bits out, like would this even be a good idea, where the censored.gif will I store it, how big a table will I need??? So I thought I would ask you guys for advice. 

Firstly, the easiest way would be to build the major buildings as free standing scenery pieces and connect them with additional walkways, but if I really want an accurate table I will have to mount everything to the board permanently as Megaton is built up the sides of a 'crater' not on a flat surface. If I do it all as separate sections some of the immersion would be lost IMHO. 

Secondly, how big a table would I need for it to be accurate? I have included a top down map of the area at the end of the post showing the layout, If I could figure out the size of one of the buildings (E.G. the Clinic is roughly x by y 28 mil bases and height is z 28 mil bases) then I might be able to get a rough idea of what I need. Annoyingly though I have lent my copy of Fallout 3 to a friend and cant spend a few hours walking around trying to measure everything out.

Anyone have any ideas or advice, even if it is 'dude the reward will not be worth the effort you are putting into this'... 

Map

gallery_75911_13731_13501.jpg

Other images of Megaton just because it looks nice. Kinda like Liverpool but cleaner and the shops are actually open. laugh.pngmed_gallery_75911_13731_130279.jpgmed_gallery_75911_13731_24272.jpg

• PeteySödes, Stoic Raptor, Gederas and 1 other like this

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the centre of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

gallery_29004_9303_22505.png

Blog - Gates of Helvete

''Help! Help! I'm being repressed!!!'' - Dennis the Peasant, England. 932 A.D.

PeteySödes

PeteySödes

++ MODERATI ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,044 posts

Super cool! I thiiiiink doing the whole shebang 1:1 might be pretty huge for necromunda. Not that thats a bad thing mind you, but I also run into the "where the heck can i keep this" problem. I think maybe how I would approach it would be to maybe boil it down to the features you find most iconic.

Something like a 4'x4' with the bomb and the CoA as the centerpiece, then focus on 4-5 outbuildings you could model as your favorites like the saloon etc. Then focus on the platformy shanty town aspects. Balancing accuracy, coolness, and gameplay is kind of the iron triangle of terrain IMO.

This is way awesome though so I'd love to help with bouncing ideas wherever I can.

Lord Ranulf

Lord Ranulf

++ EQUESTER CANEO ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,743 posts

With a lot of work, it would make for a pretty awesome table. I'd suggest doing it as four tiles with non fixed buildings for easy (well, easier) storage and transport.

I just pulled these schematics from the Guilder savant's vox grille:

bV731Ll.jpg

Each tile is a 24" x 24" piece of MDF with a fixed section of wall (polystyrene, pasticard, cardboard) to represent a junk wall and one section has a gateway. The ground outside the wall is modelled to look like Underhive Wasteland (Dirt, broken up steel floor, poisonous mushroom etc) and the inside is settlement. (ie, less crappy than the outside)  

I'd keep the junk wall low in size for practically, (unless you game in harnesses hanging from the ceiling) maybe 8-10" in height so you can still access minis fighting in the settlement. 

Add buildings for flavour as desired.

And don't forget Moira. (pre or post bomb damage)

-Ran

RIMqFBL.jpg L_T_4_2019_Medal.gif ZIbfbQY.jpg

Slave to Darkness

Slave to Darkness

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,861 posts
  • Location:The Labyrinth, realm of limitless eternal pain and pleasure . AKA Kings Lynn, Norfolk.
  • Faction: Chaos and Wolves

Well the path ahead of me is clear, time to start collecting building materials now. Might even hit up charity shops to see if theres any interesting kids toys that can be ripped apart for a greater purpose in life other than getting kicked over and covered in jam. As soon as I get access to my copy of Fallout 3 again Ill be taking pictures of everything from all angles. Well at least the major buildings, (Craterside Supply, Moriartys Saloon, Church of the Atom, Brass Lantern and the Water Processing Plant) the rest Ill just wing it, what are the chances another 'munda player will know the exact look and dimensions of Billy Creels house??

Edited by Slave to Darkness, 14 April 2019 - 10:33 AM.

• Gederas likes this

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the centre of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

gallery_29004_9303_22505.png

Blog - Gates of Helvete

''Help! Help! I'm being repressed!!!'' - Dennis the Peasant, England. 932 A.D.

noigrim

noigrim

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,545 posts
  • Faction: Marines , Custodes, Guard, IK
Ah I can remember shooting up the place MANY times
  • Slave to Darkness likes this

Sense%2Bt%C3%ADtol%2B%282%29.pngETL_2015_Banner_01_Oath_of_Moment.jpgUntitled-1.jpgL_T_3_2017_Badge_02_Chaplain.jpgImg_CH00_08Awards_08_L_T_2013.gifL_T_3_2017_Medals.gifETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei01.gifETL_2018_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei_03.gifETL_2018_Medal_03_Primus_Interpares_02.gETL_Medal_03.gifgallery_48988_15151_1303.pngZg0FFzL.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Necromunda, Confrontation, Megaton, Fallout, Wasteland

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users