Smallest Acceptable Unit Size

ImperialTuba

So I'm nearly finished building my Space Marines from Dark Imperium, but I'm still waiting on a package of 10 more Intercessors. I mentioned in my first post to this forum that I started with the First Strike box. So I've also got the six marines that came with that (3 Intercessors, 3 Reivers). When I added them to my army list on BattleScribe, it flagged them as being too small of a unit. 

I'm trying to be frugal with my spending as I get started in the hobby, so naturally I'd like be getting use out of all the models I own when it comes to playing. 

My primary questions:

1) Is it against the rules for me to use 3-man squads of these particular units?

2) Would players in a casual setting even care? (I imagine not, but I figured I'd ask anyways)

3) If I can't use these six troops as they are currently, what should I do if I still want to find some purpose for them?

So I'm nearly finished building my Space Marines from Dark Imperium, but I'm still waiting on a package of 10 more Intercessors. I mentioned in my first post to this forum that I started with the First Strike box. So I've also got the six marines that came with that (3 Intercessors, 3 Reivers). When I added them to my army list on BattleScribe, it flagged them as being too small of a unit. 

I'm trying to be frugal with my spending as I get started in the hobby, so naturally I'd like be getting use out of all the models I own when it comes to playing. 

My primary questions:

1) Is it against the rules for me to use 3-man squads of these particular units?

2) Would players in a casual setting even care? (I imagine not, but I figured I'd ask anyways)

3) If I can't use these six troops as they are currently, what should I do if I still want to find some purpose for them?  

1: In matched play, yes. You CANNOT have those 3-mans squads because the Datasheet per the codex says the smallest squad size is 5 for Reivers and Intercessors. In open play it's fine.

2: Prolly not.

3: Get another Easy-To-Build pack of the Reivers and Intercessors, or start Deathwatch? :laugh.:

For the intercessors you can add them to your two existing five man squads and end up with one squad of six and one of seven. You're a little out of luck on the reivers unless you convert them into characters or get more of them. Alternatively you can start playing by running the missions in the first strike box.

My primary questions:

1: In matched play, yes. You CANNOT have those 3-mans squads because the Datasheet per the codex says the smallest squad size is 5 for Reivers and Intercessors. In open play it's fine.

2: Prolly not.

3: Get another Easy-To-Build pack of the Reivers and Intercessors, or start Deathwatch? :laugh.:

Am I allowed to have more than one sergeant in each of those units? I'm also the type of person who'll be bothered by the fact that each man in the squad will have an identical twin posed in exactly the same way. Lol

The Core rules has a specific provision for "Understrength Units", which allows you to just field as many models as you have, even if it's not normally a legal unit size. That includes matched play, although you have to field under strength units as part of an auxiliary detachment (ie you can't use them to fill out other detachments to gain CP).

Am I allowed to have more than one sergeant in each of those units? I'm also the type of person who'll be bothered by the fact that each man in the squad will have an identical twin posed in exactly the same way. Lol

I'd try and push passed annoyance over duplicate models if you want to keep things cheap. But for the reivers anyway, it's pretty easy to just swap the arms around on the two squad dudes, then keep the spare to convert into a Phobos captain (just glue a Bolter on him).

Am I allowed to have more than one sergeant in each of those units?

No, but there's almost nothing on any of those models that makes them exclusively sergeants. If they have a skull on the helmet that can be easily shaved off and you can paint them as normal marines.

If you want to bulk out your intercessors but want to save money, go to your local GW and ask if you can have two of their "try painting" intercessors (the ones they give new hobbyists to learn how to paint). If they are anything like my local, they're coming down with the things and will be more than willing to give you a few, especially if you're a new player.

Dallo

While the £35 cost can be a bit off putting if your trying to keep the costs down, a box of standard intercessors can help with the problem. Not only will it give you a full squad, but there's enough spare arms, heads and shoulder pads that you can use to convert the easy build kits. The heads fit without any work and snipping off the arm pin on the Easy builds lets you swap in a different arm.

While the £35 cost can be a bit off putting if your trying to keep the costs down, a box of standard intercessors can help with the problem. Not only will it give you a full squad, but there's enough spare arms, heads and shoulder pads that you can use to convert the easy build kits. The heads fit without any work and snipping off the arm pin on the Easy builds lets you swap in a different arm.

Funny that you mention that, because those 10 Intercessors I was waiting on finally arrived and I'm currently building them. When I've combined them with my Marines from Dark Imperium I should have about 985 points, if I've calculated correctly. Basically won't be able to squeeze in the 3 Reivers and 3 Intercessors until I start playing games over 1,000 points. But when I do, I'll consider adding them to the existing 5-man Intercessor squads. As for the Reivers, we'll just have to wait and see.  

If you want to bulk out your intercessors but want to save money, go to your local GW and ask if you can have two of their "try painting" intercessors (the ones they give new hobbyists to learn how to paint). If they are anything like my local, they're coming down with the things and will be more than willing to give you a few, especially if you're a new player.

Dallo

I don't have an official GW store near me, but that's helpful to know. Thanks!

Archived