Aquilon Terminators Loadouts

.Torch.

How has everyone been doing with Aquilon Terminators since the 8th edition beta rules dropped?

I really love the look of the models and I would ideally like a a squad of six with firepikes and solar gauntlets. As it's a fair chunk of money as well as points, I was wondering if the forum goers thought this would be an optimal loadout?

.Torch.

Personally I’d say the firepike isn’t the best choice. You’re paying 10 points more than the storm bolter for 1 more point of strength and the fact that it’s auto-hitting. Neither of these are great because Custodes basically auto hit anyway, especially if there’s a captain nearby and S6 compared to S5 will only really affect shooting at T5 or T3 targets. There’s not a huge amount of T5 stuff and Custodes have got better options for dealing with T3 hordes.

The average number of shots for the flamer is also the same as the rapid fire shots from the storm bolter so there’s not much to separate them there. Overall I’d say it’s not worth the 10 points difference. If you’re paying 15 for the flamer you may as well pay 20 for the twin adrathic destructor and threaten some bigger multi-wound things. This also compliments the fists which are good against the bigger stuff.

The Firepike is a strong choice depending on what you're fighting. While few people would want to melee Custodes, you will still have to deal with armies that are so bent towards it that they have to swallow overwatch and charge you anyway. The Firepikes will make them swallow a lot more in that Overwatch than your other options. Offensively it is better at dealing with T3, T5, and T6 targets than the Lastrum Storm Bolter. How valuable it is will depend on how many targets like that exist in your own meta.

The Lastrum Storm Bolter is a more efficient choice against MEQ and has double the maximum range. Of course the maximum range is a little less important since the real job is to get into close combat, but it is still a factor to consider. Softening up targets outside of your threat envelope can have many great beneficial outcomes as the game continues. 

The Twin Adrathic Destructor is a fantastic weapon to engage heavy and medium infantry as well as mediocre anti-vehicle- while your wound chance is low, the AP and Damage, as well as the amount of shots a full unit can put out, makes it a pretty scary weapon.  Is it worth the points? Again, you have to look at your meta. This is a gigantic waste of points against T3 horde armies. Against heavier infantry it shines. Then again...you do better in close combat in a similar fashion.

All three weapons have their places and the cost difference between them, while significant, are almost trivial due to the total cost of the unit. I think the Firepike is the best overall, but the Lastrum Storm Bolter and TAD are excellent in their own right.

In melee, you have two excellent options once more. The Power Talon allows you to make 4 S6, AP-2, D1 attacks that re-roll wounds. Combined with a native 2+ to hit, anything less than T6 is likely walking away with a bucktload of wounds to their name. Units with a high save, good invulnerable, and/or wound reduction mechanics care a little less, but for the points you pay you get a fantastic weapon.

The Gauntlet is the real winner, primarily because it is just a few points more than the Talon. Here you have 4 S10, AP-4, D3 damage attacks with no native -1 to hit. like similar weapons. Better across most T bands than the Talon- though the difference is not significant until I think T7, and Talons are better against T3- the real kicker is the fantastic AP and better damage. While the Talon can certainly chew through vehicles due to volume of attacks and rerolls, the Gauntlet flat out ignores the armor of most vehicles while also doing an average of 2 damage a hit. 

All in all, there are zero bad options for the Aquillon. I run Firepike/Gauntlet myself, but I've seen almost any combination of weaponry perform well. If the unit fails that is because of elements outside of their offensive capability.

CaptainMarsh said all of it really except I prefer the lastrum with the firepike close behind, this is primarily because my list is so tight there's no spare points for anything else. I need my Aquilons to one thing and that is punch the living snot out of knights, so that's what they are equipped for. I'm really not a fan of the adrathic, these things are in a no man's land for me stat line and points wise.

I'm stuck. I really like the look and stats of the Firepike, but the lack of Solar Gauntlet in the kit is pretty off putting. I tend to run a predominantly troop based list, so I was looking at the Firepike for Chaff clearance.

Does anyone know if the Tartaros Pattern Power Fists would fit this kit? I know they are pretty plain, but the would be easily decorated with some Forgeworld brass icons. 

I really don't think that firepikes are going to be any better at chaff clearing the bolters will be.

Really the only time firepikes are better is when they are shooting at a unit with a -X to hit (planes) or in overwatch.

I think firepikes look really cool, but they just aren't worth the points I feel.

(And as far as the talon/fist, the only reason to ever run the talon is to save points really. Same number of attacks and hits, rerolling to wound for the talon vs wounding on 2s for the fist. In a max squad this is 21 wounds dealt from talon (on a T3/4 target) vs 20 wounds dealt from a fist.)

Edit: fixed the -X to hit

While I agree with much of what is said above. I'm currently playing against a lot of Demon prince 'circus' lists. The Str 6 auto hits during overwatch will probably invaluable to me, especially as Demon princes are T6.

Personally I think that the best loadout is Gauntlet and a Firepike every two Storm Bolter. That makes them devastating against hordes and difficult to be charged. Also you have some nice S10 melee attack, quite useful against heavy vehicles.

They're already so pricey you may as well throw pikes on them all.

You have to maximise what you're paying for. As much damage and impact as possible otherwise it's better to get a different, cheaper unit.

They're already so pricey you may as well throw pikes on them all.

You have to maximise what you're paying for. As much damage and impact as possible otherwise it's better to get a different, cheaper unit.

I think that a mixed unit is still better: Storm Bolters gives higher range that can always be useful.

If you're looking for range and bolters I think the Vertus Praetors deliver in that field.

The Termies have the benefit of deploying from reserves right next to the enemy and the flamers will do significant damage, and not just to chaff infantry. The Gauntlets also means you want to be in cc or close to the action, it's so damaging.

Alternatively you could run 5 with bolters and Gauntlets in a transport and have them as a traditional cc dedicated unit.

In my experience units dedicated to a purpose perform better as you can play to their role.

Just to clarify, people should run whatever makes them happy and whatever they like the look of. I'm only suggesting what I'm suggesting because TC specifically used the phrase: what is the "Optimum loadout"

Archived