Lord Discordant Load Out.

Prot

So I’ve played a few games with the new Daemon engine detachment and proxied the LD as a dual HQ option.

So far I’ve been playing the Autocannon because he does have a WS of 2 but it’s really proven to be lethargic. There’s nothing wrong with Autocannons in general but I’ve found this is a guy I am advancing a lot, plus the Autocannon isn’t really a weapon I need in the Daemon Engine lists I’m running.

The other consideration is that I find some very strong assault opponents actually have enjoyed success smashing into the Disdordant the second my screen is down. That 18” Baleflamer is starting to look awfully tempting especially since I can advance and still threaten with it. I

Of course the big negative is it’s cost prohibitive and 3 x the Autocannon cost.

Anyone else played this guy and changed it up? I’m now putting mine together and it’s not an easy thing to magnetize

I'm just taking the autocannon and advancing with his Daemon Engine pets. Honestly, if I had the option I wouldn't take a ranged weapon on him at all. I like the baleflamer but I think the price is just insane for what is clearly meant to be a melee monster.

Edited by Furnace Lord

Thing is, it's auto-hit so it's not doing anything to stop you from being a melee monster and any moment you're not in melee or getting charged your can pour out some good damage. If there is going to be a ranged weapon on the Discordant the Baleflamer simply synergizes better with how he'll move one the table. It really is a shame it's so steep in cost but I still think it's better suited to his role. It's 20-40 points depending of if your running one or two, so I guess it's all down to how badly you need/want those extra points. I also plan to run mine with a Decimator thug bodyguard armed with at least one Hellflamer, so I might have a bit of extra bias. :)

I’m leaning towards the Baleflamer too, I’d rather lay 20pts more for a weapon that’s just better. I would’ve considered a lascannon or reaper auto cannon if they had been an option...

Any thoughts on relics or WL for him? I do like the idea of the elixir for one

I’m leaning towards the Baleflamer too, I’d rather lay 20pts more for a weapon that’s just better. I would’ve considered a lascannon or reaper auto cannon if they had been an option...

Any thoughts on relics or WL for him? I do like the idea of the elixir for one

The Sightless Helm sounds brutal with him

Especially if you take the Baleflamer, eliminating the downside completely.

All I can say, is this model is fiddly than ever not trying to break parts while building. So far I was able to magnetize the head to swap head weapons but still stuck on the baleflamer/autocannon is there is no room for magnets on the mechedendrite claw. 

All I can say, is this model is fiddly than ever not trying to break parts while building. So far I was able to magnetize the head to swap head weapons but still stuck on the baleflamer/autocannon is there is no room for magnets on the mechedendrite claw.

I haven't go my model so this all guesswork based on the website sprue pictures.

My hypothesis was to cut the weapon handle and glue it on the mechadentris, then magnetise the handle since they are pretty much identical on both weapons.

It might be too small though.

The guy hits on 2s while moving 14”... I just can’t take the baleflamer on him. But I tend to run him behind my engine pack, so the extra move from advancing him wouldn’t get me much. Edited by Mekhitar

I've only taken him as my Black Legion warlord so far, with the half damage trait and Blind Helm. Granted I'm completely new to this edition and haven't fought a great many battles. I'm curious how he does without the half damage trait. The Soulforged pack mechadendrites seem powerful just because he has such a huge base but I've no experience.

I'm not huge on rules and stuff but it would be the belflamer every day of the week for me. I love flamer weapons and usually kit my army out with them regardless of how good they are or how point heavy they may be.

Seriously what isn't to love about the image of an 9ft tall power armoured clad psychopath wielding a flamethrower as long as you are tall?

I'll also go with the flamer, likewise more for aesthetic reasons than anything else.  At least, once I get around to picking him up.  I don't expect the LD is going anywhere, and I've got a lot of work to do on other new CSM stuff I've already picked up.

Honestly, I'd be a lot more excited about the unit if it were a lot weaker in terms of personal offense, with few enough wounds to avoid being picked out by non-snipers and either an decreased points cost or increased support abilities (WS style healing?) to balance him out.  I really wanted him to be an individual support platform leading an army of daemon engines, making various borderline engines good via his support.  But while you technically can run him that way, its not really how he wants to run, since he's not only an easily targetable source of buffs, he's also the most dangerous thing he's buffing.  So it's extremely easy target priority for your opponent to remove him first, and then even if some of your other engines manage to hit combat afterwords they're doing so at dramatically reduced effectiveness.

No, what he wants to run is 2+ of himself.  that way you can lose an LD or two and still see an LD or two hit melee.  Again, he's the most dangerous thing he's buffing.  Why field a mauler or defiler when for a few points more you could field a much stronger LD?  I wanted him to be a reason to run (and finish painting) the daemon engines I already have.  Instead his existence mostly feels like just another reason to leave them in storage, or even just get rid of them outright.

All that grousing aside (boo hoo hoo, our new unit is /too/ strong), The model's too cool to not own or never run, and it's too particular (not posable, no options to change up the rider's appearance) for me to ever want to own more than one no matter how much he wants to hang out with two more of himself in a set of identical triplets.  So I guess I'll be fielding it as the one dude leading a bunch of other daemon engines no matter how suboptimal that is.

To make it work, I'll probably run him as a warlord with the black legion half incoming damage trait to help him be a bit more survivable, though at the cost of making him an even bigger target and preventing me from running the council of traitors stratagem.  Which sucks, but so be it.  For relic I'm torn on two already mentioned.  Talisman of Burning Blood for run & charge with rerolls is super tempting, especially since I won't be able to use Abaddon for extra CPs or a CoT sorcerer or apostle with the CP refunding trait.  On the other hand, the Black Legion's faceless helm would make him all the deadlier in close combat, and interacts beautifully with the baleflamer.

Still probably won't run him as often as a regular council of traitors, and probably won't even buy him until I have a council of traitors list put together.  But that's my current plan on load out for when I get around to him.

Edited by Sception

I've actually thought of taking multiple LD considering how choppy they are. I woder if I can convert a Venomcrawler....I seem to be not using mine as much.

Kind of exactly what I was complaining about.  The LD should want you to run him with a couple venomcrawlers.  Instead he wants to run with more of himself & leave the venomcrawlers at home.

If you're looking for conversion fodder, maybe mauler fiends?  Cut off the tongue and replace it with a stabby implement, use the lash/tendrils to convert a long stabby tail plus maybe some tendrils for a rider built out of new CSMs or Havocs?  Still probably won't look as cool as the actual model without a lot of work, and my stupid modeling hang ups wouldn't let me run a so-so conversion next to an awesome model as two of the same unit any more than they'd let me field two elaborate, identical HQs.

Maybe use the dark abeyant from the FW archmagos kit?  Not too hard to swap the weapon around.  Just need to add some talons.  Then you could even use the same rider model as both a lord discordant on the abeyant and a regular warpsmith on foot?  But that's a pretty pricey FW model, and while it looks good in itself, it isn't as properly mutated & daemonic as the actual model.

Waiting on my LD to arrive so I can use the leftover bits with these and have two. The question is if the other one is dedicated to Khorne or Slaanesh. It’s going to be hard not to just build four!

Hidden Content
med_gallery_95846_15064_85883.jpeg

Just finished putting together mine first LD and im surprised by how small he is. Anyone planning to use a maulerfiend as a base will be vastly oversized.

He's basically an extended juggerlord, with the torso of the helstalker being almost identical to a juggernaught body (extended to fit an extra pair of legs at the back).

Just finished putting together mine first LD and im surprised by how small he is. Anyone planning to use a maulerfiend as a base will be vastly oversized.

He's basically an extended juggerlord, with the torso of the helstalker being almost identical to a juggernaught body (extended to fit an extra pair of legs at the back).

Oooh, now that is cool news! If I can get away with a juggernaut as a mount in terms of close-enough scale, I'm gonna build a bunch of them.