+++ Muster of the Unforgiven +++

Grotsmasha

Some progress on my vow.  Just some assembly steps completed.  Need some advice though.

Do I:

1. Fully assemble the interior so I can heat it all and bend to shape in 1 go, then paint.
  2. Half assemble the interior and potentially have to heat/shape twice, but paint easier.
  3. Leave as is and paint all of the interior separately then fully assemble/heat but have to touch up a fair bit after.

Conundrum!

I totally understand that you want to paint the interior, but it's a lot of punishment for little satisfaction. After all, you're only going to show the interior to people when they have a genuine interest in your painting. And you'll only say once: 'Check it out, I even painted the interior!' Then you'll never show it again to that person. Painted the interiors of my first two tanks, I glued the rest shut after some major issues with the final fit of my second tank. Since you're working with resin, save your mental health and glue that bastard shut.

Hi all-

After lurking around for a few years, I'm going joining the Unforgiven for this year's ETL to get started on my next project- the Void Reavers, a DA successor chapter. I'm not sure what my schedule will be this summer other than busy, so I'm going to just start with a small vow (Dark Vengeance tactical squad), but hoping I'll also be able to do some Intercessors and Hellblasters as well.

Right now I'm finishing up the last character for my current army, but I should be done with him within the week. Tactical squad is good to go, and I've got near 2000 points more stuff to work on once they're done (but definitely not going to get near painting all that over ETL).

In any case, here's the paint scheme I'll be going for. Any advice on good ways to make a black robe work well with black armor would be greatly welcomed.

Brother Risual and Brother-sergeant Besros, Void Reavers 4th company, 4th squad.

sml_gallery_68171_15488_11366.jpg sml_gallery_68171_15488_47309.png

Hi all-

After lurking around for a few years, I'm going joining the Unforgiven for this year's ETL to get started on my next project- the Void Reavers, a DA successor chapter. I'm not sure what my schedule will be this summer other than busy, so I'm going to just start with a small vow (Dark Vengeance tactical squad), but hoping I'll also be able to do some Intercessors and Hellblasters as well.

Right now I'm finishing up the last character for my current army, but I should be done with him within the week. Tactical squad is good to go, and I've got near 2000 points more stuff to work on once they're done (but definitely not going to get near painting all that over ETL).

In any case, here's the paint scheme I'll be going for. Any advice on good ways to make a black robe work well with black armor would be greatly welcomed.

Brother Risual and Brother-sergeant Besros, Void Reavers 4th company, 4th squad.

sml_gallery_68171_15488_11366.jpg sml_gallery_68171_15488_47309.png

Hmmm.... That colour-scheme feels familiar.... :lol:

S434Hfb.jpg

As to how you can do the black robes:

Don't actually make them black. Go with a dark grey base, highlight it, then shade EVERYTHING with Nuln Oil to darken it down.

Welcome to the Rock Galloway! :)

I'll take Gederas sagely advice and go for a dark grey instead of black (like shin grey? ). Then use Nuln Oil to darken it down - maybe two layers? Possibly more in the recessed areas. I find the blending of this technique much smoother, easier and faster than going for black and then gradually highlight it with greys... 

Look forward for your vows! :)

Welcome to the party Galloway!

Personally I would do your scheme like the following. (stole it from Warhammer TV)

Armour:

- Paint the armour black. Not just primer, actually paint abbadon black over the primer for a deeper black.

- Follow up with edge highlights of Eshin grey. Keep it thin, clean up edges with black if too thick

- Do really small highlights with Fenrisian grey. Don't overdo it, or they will look like Tron.

Robes:

- Small basecoat of black (just to cover up the primer)

- Drybrush Eshin grey all over, keep the deep folds black

- lightly highlight the high spots with Mechanicus standard grey

- Even lighter highlight with Dawnstone

- Optional wash to tie it all together if it's all too bright

You could tweak the grey colours to your own inventory, any gradual use of greys should be fine with some wash mixed in.

Don't fool yourself like I did, painting black miniatures is almost harder than brighter ones. Your highlights need to be on point.

Edited by GreyRavenC

Don't fool yourself like I did, painting black miniatures is almost harder than brighter ones. Your highlights need to be on point.

I'll be cheating and drybrushing grey over chaos black for my ravenwing bikes since some are already primed and stripping paint is not a bridge ive crossed yet.

Edited by Skorp

Thanks all for the support and great ideas (and Gederas for the great example of what I'm aiming for). Lots of ideas to try out...

No problem.

My biggest recommendation though? Keep the Black Armour and Black Cloth different colours. What I mean is don't use the same highlight colours for both, because they're supposed to be different materials.

In other news, I'm so sad these guys won't be out until sometime in August. I would totally vow Scouts made from these guys:

EXPO-May31-Enforcers1-5dse.jpg

Because they'll most likely be out with only a week before ETL ends :lol:

Well after 5 days in the Apothecarian after Papa Nurgle "Blessed" my chicken I am raring to go.

Lets get this done people. WE CAN DO IT....

LETS SHOW THEM THE FURY OF THE SONS OF THE LION :P

That's some blessing. The Emperor protects of course etc etc.