Questions about adding Daemons to CSM

Furnace Lord

I'm interested in taking some Daemons to fight alongside my Chaos Marines, and was curious about a few things to make sure I do it right. I lean more towards Slaanesh daemons but could go another direction if tempted (heh) since CSM are my main army.

1. If I just summon say, a Herald of Slaanesh, is it correct that they would not get the Locus of Swiftness since they're sort of outside the battleforged army?

2. How are Furies, and do they shine with any particular allegiance? I've seen the ones that are coming with that AoS skirmish game and they look really cool, so I was naturally interested.

3. Can Daemonettes work in minimum size units? I know they get the bonus at 20, and ideally you'd take 30 so they don't lose it to a single wound, but I'd still like to know if they can work at this size.

4. How are Soul Grinders? I've seen the profile and they seem.....strange. Nice ranged weapons, but heavy with not great BS that degrades....but they seem to want to get into melee. I don't know what to make of them.

5. What units work best with the Denizens of the Warp stratagem?

1. correct

2. Never tested them, but all allegiances (maybe except slaanesh as First strike is not that good) seem to add something. I would advise for either Tzeentch or Nurgle so they can actually take some hits.

3. For the lesser Daemons I prefer larger groups because the Icon and the Musician are that useful.Putting these into a group of 10 massively increases price. I tend to summon in smaller groups for objective Holding/Back lane duties.

4. Soul Grinders are next to Greater Daemons the only option Daemons have of cracking lets say a Knight. These Ironclaws have a punch. And you can summon/Shock them if needed. Note the huge price decrease they had in chapter approved.

5. Either things that have an increases chance of reaching combat same turn, like Khorne units or tough units. I prefer a unit of 4 Beasts of Nurgle. They cost only 1 CP and are really annoying. Although I tend to summon in most cases.

Note: Non-Tournament player, grain of salt advised.

As far as Furies, you either want Khorne or Nurgle. Khorne for higher strength, higher attack, 3 attacks each @ S5. If you are summoning though, Bloodletters are 1 point less, for 1 attack less with better weapons and better chance at charging. Nurgle for defense with Disgustingly Resilient. Against 1 wound weapons it has a better save rate than Tzeentch Furies (about 55% vs 50%, both unaffected by AP) and if your oponent is throwing 2 wound shots at your Furies, they have issues. I think Nurgle Furies are decent shield units for flying characters.

Personally, I use Denezins for Buff characters (since summoned units lack the faction loci) or units I don't think I can reliably summon. If you are running Nurgle Daemonkin, Denezins works well on Fecculent Gnarlmaws. One of those with Nurgle Obliterators is nasty, though both have received points increases (if you accept that the CSM[iI] Codex has a copy paste error on Oblits point cost) so I don't know how point cost effective they are now.

Edited by Doom Herald