Easiest models to transport on a plane

dbecer01

So, I was thinking, if you were going to be travelling a lot with your models, and wanted to be the least worried about having to reglue your models, which non-soup factions would you most likely choose and why.

My limited hobby experience has told me to stay away from hordes, spikey bits, and resin.

With this, I would generally rule out Chaos, Orks, Tyranids, and Eldar. IG stuff is pretty sturdy, but you just need to carry so much of it. Probably think SM, custodes, new sisters, Tau, Necrons would be good choices.

So, what do you guys think, and why? Feel free to disagree.

Probably Marines with transports (without the antennas). They all are fairly compact if you don't glue fancy bitz to them and you don't need a whole lot compared to AM or whatever. Custodes would be an option too.

I'd avoid necrons without a proper (read: heavy and bulky) model transport case. Too many fragile bits/bad connection points (though that is at least in part due to the design of some kits). Space marines are a good option, as others have said. I've done it myself, and took 1250pts of marine infantry overseas a few editions ago and only had one or two breakages (and that was because they were pushfit that I'd glued together). 

I'd say your first step is to make sure you can have a small kill team's worth, as you'll be able to play with fewer, smaller models - I've been able to get away with chaos+DG infantry a couple of times, but the forces were hardly competitive (essentially pure infantry)

I think your main concern is what kind of a case you can get for transport

I would say, as long as you have check-in luggage, pretty much any army outside a few filigrane or very bulky models. Even (moderately large, i.e. 100-200 model) hordes are fine with proper packaging and can easily fit into a medium luggage. Big stuff like knights work better if you magnetize their parts and bases. Foam works fine, personally I started to use magnetized boxes though. The important thing is that nothing can move around when a luggage is thrown. And the luggage should obviously be sturdy. Though note that there is always a (very small) chance that a checked luggage gets lost, so it might be prudent to also label the boxes.

There's an old White Dwarf interview with Pete Haines where he talks of his travel army. Essentially he created an Ork infantry list solely around the number of slots in a single GW carry case.

That's hilarious! Also, very practical.

Archived