Blanchitsu-styled Changeling

Evil Eye

I managed to snag myself the metal Changeling miniature in a doll's house shop of all places. For ages I was mulling over what colour to paint it and then I remembered this rather wonderful piece of artwork in the 7th ed Chaos Daemon codex.

http://u.cubeupload.com/Squigsquasher/BlanChangeling.jpg

Gods bless John Blanche.

Anyway, the results were IMO pretty good. Obviously the artwork is only a portrait, so I had to get a bit creative, but I decided to have the robe transition from light to dark, courtesy of lots and lots of feathering and washes, and save on work whilst adding to the air of mystery by wreathing the base in mist (read: cotton wool).

http://u.cubeupload.com/Squigsquasher/Changeling1.jpghttp://u.cubeupload.com/Squigsquasher/Changeling.jpg

The mist is really well done and a great effect - to me its like he's just appearing out of nowhere in a puff of smoke.

Its also interesting to see a more subdued colouration for a tzeench daemon - they are usually pretty garish and its usually only nurgle (and occasionally khorne) that use more subdued palettes.

<looks at in progress Changeling on desk, looks at yours, moves over to a wall and begins smashing forehead against it>

I really like what you've done. Love the subdued tones and minimalist palette.

Did you start with a wash of Flesh Wash over the entire figure? I once read in WD that JB said that was how he  started a lot of his figures.

<looks at in progress Changeling on desk, looks at yours, moves over to a wall and begins smashing forehead against it>

I really like what you've done. Love the subdued tones and minimalist palette.

Did you start with a wash of Flesh Wash over the entire figure? I once read in WD that JB said that was how he  started a lot of his figures.

Nope, I don't think I even have Flesh Wash (I have Reikland Fleshshade but IIRC Flesh Wash is quite different), though I did use washes quite a bit. AFAIK it was painted entirely with nu-Citadel paints. I...honestly can't remember how I did everything, but over the white primer I seem to recall basecoating with Ushabti Bone and working through various shades, mainly Agrax Earthshade and Carroburg Crimson, and highlights, mainly Screaming Skull, Pallid Wych Flesh and of course White Scar. The brown part of the robe IIRC is Steel Legion Drab faded into Rhinox Hide and finally Abaddon Black, though I used the washes to sort of smooth the basecoats together (I've never actually tried doing wet blending before- the closest I've done is applying multiple washes at once for my Beast of Nurgle and airbrushing paints whilst the previous coats were still wet on my WIP Nurgle Rhino, but that was to get a randomized, blotchy effect rather than anything more arty.)

Thanks for the feedback in any event! I want to do more subdued/muted Tzeentch stuff. I've got a good idea for Horrors done in similarly subdued tones- Pink Horrors being a pinkish-red tinged white (so basically white primer, Carroburg Crimson shade, re-highlight to white), Blue Horrors being a very dark, inky blue, almost black, and Brimstone Horrors....I'm still not sure on them, maybe a sort of sepia colour. And if I can move my backlog along to justify buying yet another monster, I might do a Lord of Change painted like a jay- so a muted brownish-beige with black, white and blue markings and accents.

For real, though, this might be one of my absolute favourite miniature sculpts ever. If I do anymore Tzeentch Heralds I might convert them from some of the Nazgul (the Tainted is definitely on the list, as the foot version would need very little conversion at all and the horse version could count as having a Disc of Tzeentch, with sufficient resculpting to his nag) so that all the Heralds are cloaked, faceless, nightmarish things rather than just being slightly blingier horrors.