Phobos Lieutenant + Reivers

Eh to be honest Reivers had the best value for me when they made the charge into something squishy on a less crowded flank. A Lieutenant wouldn't help at all with that and in fact would make the investment only worse if they fail their charge as now there are even more points standing around not doing much. The Carbines are neat but not something I can't do with the rest of the army already, especially with Bolter discipline.

To be honest if you just want a unit to drop and shoot then better take Suppressors or Inceptors instead. The only thing Reivers have going for them is the combat blade and that you can't drop that many wounds for as cheap on the board with any other Primaris unit (Infiltrators are more expensive and can't drop behind enemy lines once they advanced a bit and Intercessors don't have any special deployment options obviously).

So it really depends on what you try to do.

Want to drop many Sv3+ wounds somewhere on the board turn 2 or 3 and just sit on an objective? Then you are fine with Reivers and can give them the Carbines. Athough I made the experience that if they don't charge something they usually can't drop on an objective and have to move there the turn after, hence why I prefer combat blades and it's not like they can't shoot at all with combat blades ... they still have their 12" S4 AP-1 pistols!

Want to drop a unit to shoot something to death? Take Inceptors or even just Suppressors even though Suppressors do just fine getting deployed regularly.

I like it, an if you want to focus on Reivers go right ahead. They are the cheapest 10 wounds that you can deliver anywhere on the board that Marines can access. They have a good volume of shots at full range and a decent number of attacks even if you equip them all with bolt carbines.

Underrated unit.

I run two squads in most of my lists and they've won me games plenty of times.

Edited by Ishagu