Greetings!

Last year when I rejoined the ranks of the brotherhood on B&C I had some big plans with my armies and hobby-life. I throw some question here and there on the forum, but the end of the old year and the beginning of the new one crushed all my plans in an instant. My civil life took some serious beatings and I needed to restart my carreer elsewhere. This was a very difficult time, when I needed to rethink many-many things. 

After months of struggle I think I have again a solid ground under my feet. I looked again for the hobby I like, and I will try to breath new life into it. It is a challenge and an experiment too: do I have the tenacity and passion to take up the flag again? Will be there enough motivation to come back and start anew?

I always loved the plogs of others here on B&C, and I thougth that I will start my own. Not only to share some of my hobby-related things with You, but also to try out something that maybe helps me to keep motivated. I had some ups and downs in my long hobby life too, and knew, that sometimes it's really hard to keep up with the work. I never did similar things before - althoug I have long thought about it.

I hope that I can make something that You might find interesting, and that I will find a way to keep me on track. Any comments will be welcomed by me, and any help will be much appreciated!

I have (currently :rolleyes:) two forces. The only real army is my Iron Hands force, which consists some 70 models. They are mostly Infantry, but I will try to add some vehicles this year. They needed to be painted (and most of the painted ones need to be rebased), but I think I'm on the right way with them. I wanted an infantry-heavy army with lots of bodies on the ground, massive units of Tacticals and a centerpiece unit of Breachers. They will be accompanied with some tanks and support squads. Hopefully I will be able to show some of them to you soon...

But the main focus of this particular topic will be my Sons of Horus army. I started them as a side project, and I struggled with them, even lost them nearly completely as some tides swept over me. 
I wanted to have a traitor force opposing my Iron Tenth, but wasn't sure which Legion to choose. I loved the Sons in the novels, but there where the Emperor's Childrens too, which seemed as an obvious choice - maybe too obvious. But as FW showed the stunning Horus from the Charaster Series I was sure that I have to do an SoH army.

I would like to do this project step by step, not rushing, as I didn't want a big pile of shame lying around the house. Better to make it slow... My initial plan is to paint one unit/vehicle or character every month. Hopefully I will be able to get a playable force together until December :biggrin.:

I didn't consider myself a great painter (sometimes not even a good one), and painting seems sometimes like a chore to me, but I didn't like to play with unpainted models anymore. And that's the second reason I would like to start this plog: because if I will have a fully painted army, I might got back to gaming also (because I didn't had a game in the last one year)... :wink:

The first unit and character is ready, so April's pledge is completed :smile.: A Tactical Squad of 15 Legionaries and a Chaplain.

I'm in love with the MkIII armour, and I wanted to add some (and maybe later some more) in my SoH army. They have a knightly look, something that I'm missing from the later armour marks. It helped that there are many leftover parts from my Iron Hands miniatures, but I threw some MkIV bodies also into the squad to bulk it up a little bit.

With the Sons I tried to make them even more unique, and I'm glad that I found some tips and tricks on the internet to make them look distinct from the others. I also wanted to add more hand weapons to the lot, but I didn't had many alternatives at home. I'm still satisfied with the end result, and looking forward to add some more troops to bulk up the army. I have a half assembled Veteran Squad with Heavy Bolters - they will be the next addition. I'm not sure if what to add next, another Tac or Vet Squad, but I will make my final decision, after I have finished painting those. 

Lodge Master

+++Intelligence Protocol: 44/SA/Reg-11.00.11.077/TT1818+++

+++Segmentum Pacificus - Battlegroup Theta+++

++Chaplain Caius Mabbon, the "Liberator of Zama": Traitoris Maximus++

Mabbon is one of the chaplains of the Sons of Horus Legion, altough he is referred by his peers by his title of Lodge Master. It is said that he is the head of the warrior lodge of the Eight-Scarred-Eye. He is a ruthless commander known by his brutality and utter devotion to the traitor Warmaster Horus. Mabbon has strong connections to the Word Bearers with whom he fought for many decades, and among whom he was initiated to the order of chaplains. It is said that he is a battlefront commander, preferring to lead his troops from the forefront, where he could use his physical might as much, as his tactical provess.

After the Drop Site Massacre he was appointed to the commander of one of the Hunting Packs, and was tasked with the consolidation of several systems in the Segmentum Pacificus. There he smashed throught the loyalist defensive line conquering world in the name of his master.

He resides currently on the Fortress World of Halakk gathering his forces. Initial deployment plans unknown.

+++Protocol Closed / Redaction Disabled+++

The Chaplain is my first HQ. Bought him long ago, originally as part of a 40k Blood Angels DC korps, but it was unused until now. I think he is one of the best SM characters made in plastic. Didn't wanted to ruin the model I think that he looks absolutely menacing and great in the colours of the Legion. First I thought that I will regret that I left his original backpack on it, but it turned out OK in my regard. 

Edited by TheDreadfulSagittary

On the painting front I’m similar to you, I like to play / collect painted minis so it’s a means to an end! Keep up the good work!

BCC

Thank you battle captain corpus!

Everything looks different, if you put some paint on the minis :biggrin.: Sometimes I just put all my painted models on the table, and watch that ad hoc "parade". I would also like to honour my opponents with a fully painted army to play against. 

On the painting front I’m similar to you, I like to play / collect painted minis so it’s a means to an end! Keep up the good work!

BCC

Thank you battle captain corpus!

Everything looks different, if you put some paint on the minis :D Sometimes I just put all my painted models on the table, and watch that ad hoc "parade". I would also like to honour my opponents with a fully painted army to play against.

One of the most underrated facets of the hobby is having respect for your opponents by having painted minis or at least being worked on ones. My small group of chaps I play within have this little code that progress is always awesome!

.....and I also get all my minis out just to look at them too! ;) Not enough room in the cabinet!

BCC

• 2 weeks later...

Small update - without pictures...

Last week I started working on my first 5 Iron Hands Breachers. I love these models, and will definitely add more of them to my army later. The only thing I'm not sure about is - should I run them as regular Breachers, or as Immortals... Although they are all equipped with bolters.

Also working on a Rhino for my SoH Veterans.

I hope that I can finish at least these models in May, as I want to order some new shiny stuff from Forge World at the end of the month. Currently considering a Spartan for my Iron Hands, a 5-man squad of Justaerins and a Contemptor for my Sons of Horus. Not sure which weapons to get for them.

+++Intelligence Protocol: 44/SA/Reg-11.00.11.077/TT1818+++

+++Segmentum Pacificus - Battlegroup Theta+++

++Chaplain Caius Mabbon, the "Liberator of Zama": Traitoris Maximus++

Mabbon is one of the chaplains of the Sons of Horus Legion, altough he is referred by his peers by his title of Lodge Master. It is said that he is the head of the warrior lodge of the Eight-Scarred-Eye. He is a ruthless commander known by his brutality and utter devotion to the traitor Warmaster Horus. Mabbon has strong connections to the Word Bearers with whom he fought for many decades, and among whom he was initiated to the order of chaplains. It is said that he is a battlefront commander, preferring to lead his troops from the forefront, where he could use his physical might as much, as his tactical provess.

After the Drop Site Massacre he was appointed to the commander of one of the Hunting Packs, and was tasked with the consolidation of several systems in the Segmentum Pacificus. There he smashed throught the loyalist defensive line conquering world in the name of his master.

He resides currently on the Fortress World of Halakk gathering his forces. Initial deployment plans unknown.

+++Protocol Closed / Redaction Disabled+++

The Chaplain is my first HQ. Bought him long ago, originally as part of a 40k Blood Angels DC korps, but it was unused until now. I think he is one of the best SM characters made in plastic. Didn't wanted to ruin the model I think that he looks absolutely menacing and great in the colours of the Legion. First I thought that I will regret that I left his original backpack on it, but it turned out OK in my regard.

@TheDreadfulSagittary: nice Chaplain/Lodge Master!

If you find the time maybe pop him up on our community Age of Darkness project page; Legends of the Legions? ;)

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/355538-legends-of-the-legions/

:D

BCC

@TheDreadfulSagittary: nice Chaplain/Lodge Master!

If you find the time maybe pop him up on our community Age of Darkness project page; Legends of the Legions? :wink:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/355538-legends-of-the-legions/

:biggrin.:

BCC

Thank you Battle Captain Corpus!

I will take some better fotos about him, and post it there too :wink:  Maybe adding some bits to his CV :biggrin.:

Been musing with the SoH Contemptor as I read about the Dreadnought deal from FW. I think I will go with dual Lascannons, as sadly currently my little force lacks any anti armour support.

On the painting side I've been distracted by other activities this week. I need to focus a bit more on finishing those breachers...

• 2 weeks later...

No pictures, as I didn't had any progress last week... :( Sometimes it is just too hard to manage time, and even if I would have it, to stay motivated to continue with the work. Painting is especially tricky, because it need even more enthusiasm and concentration then just to put the models together. Nevertheless, I haven't done the latter for weeks now...
But I have the whole Sunday to finish the 5 Breachers, and maybe to prepare the next bunch of models to be painted. Hopefully I can stay motivatad to lead through the month!

On the other hand I plan to add some extra models to my collection, trying to complete my armies (slowly). 
It will be a hard decision. First, it would be great to get the long waited Spartan for my Iron Hands, and to beef up the Breacher unit to 20 bodies. With the Sons I want to add a Contemptor (maybe with LC arms, because I lack any anti armour at the moment), and a 5 man Justaerin Squad. Unfortunately something needs to be left out of the basket...  I didn't know which one.

And I didn't have Ferrus yet... Maybe next time.

Finally some progress!

I managed to nearly finish the first five Breacher, and put the remaining on the new bases (they where still on 28mm bases...). I swapped some weapons too, and added 3 Meltas. I really like the Immortal models, they are among the best looking PA models in the Heresy range. My only criticism would be the repeating poses, especially, if you run a bigger squad of them.

I want them to run in that aforementioned Spartan.

Aye, battle captain corpus, Spartans are amazing. I was looking to buy one for long now, but its price that withheld me again and again. 

• 1 month later...

It's been a bit too long since my last post, but it seems other things are always getting in the way. First of all I got my long-awaited Spartan! I was really proud to get that milestone for the army, that I started working on it. Last year I got a set of Iron Hands LR doors just for this model, and they were waiting eagerly while I saved the money for the big guy. It is an intimidating presence on the battlefield, and as I saw everyone needs one. I think it fits the Iron Hands theme perfectly, only it's price was that was withholding me from buying it earlier. 

Honestly every positive thought vanished wen I started to build it. I worked with resin long before, but this was the biggest single model that I got and it was quite painfully to build. I actually fought for every inch to be able to glue together, and it ate green stuff like one voracious resin-daemon. When it was complete (I'm still wondering how I actually managed to put it together...) my enthusiasm was cast to the ground and stomped on it with tracks of iron. 

I still want some vehicles for my armies that only FW makes, but I think they can wait until I forget what pain it the back the Spartan was (and I will definitely forget it, because of the fanboy that I'am:teehee:).

I prepared some stuff to be primed and then painted...

...but then the summer hit with force, and with the nearly unbearable temperatures I put everything aside, waiting for some relief in the weather. 

Meanwhile I got my third Knight, and made plans on some custom AM infantry platoons to accompany them. Because of the lack of other active HH players in my area it is easy to be distracted by 40k...

If a Spartan did that to you then forgo ever considering a Storm Eagle or Fire Raptor. Everything else that is smaller than a spartan should be a cakewalk.

At least you got the new version with the tracks molded onto the sides.

If a Spartan did that to you then forgo ever considering a Storm Eagle or Fire Raptor. Everything else that is smaller than a spartan should be a cakewalk.

At least you got the new version with the tracks molded onto the sides.

You are right. I had absolutely zero problemes with the Rhino chassis dual kits or the Sicaran, but that Spartan was heavy. And now I'm sure that I won't get a resin Cerastus Knight. 

Still, I love Forge World and the asthetic of all these things, but some technical issues can ruin the whole joy of them.

I kiiiiinda agree with Slips here, the Storm Eagles and Fire Raptors are an absolute pain right up there with the Spartan but less than my hatred of Dreadclaws.  I still think despite the work, Spartans, Eagles and Raptors are worth having. I'll admit the two Spartans with molded tracks I've had had big issues and cracked through the tracks that made me have to reglue a lot of sections.  I kinda like the Proteus with its separate tracks, it wasn't much more difficult than the Sicaran.  With just a bit of a file down they get put together really easily.  

Dreadful Sagittary my man, it's definitely a good looking force and hail to the Breachers and Immortals!  I'll always have a fondness for them.  So, some custom AM platoons eh?  Might be worth making up some Imperial army stuff then, my man and make sure to post em up eh!  So what's next on the docket? 

I hear ya on 8E though, all my 30K stuff ends up 40K 'compliant' though I'll whine about 'heretic astartes' lack of landspeeders for a while. 

I know, and I like the Fire Raptor, but I read about what a nightmare it is. And the Dreadclaw too. It is just so frustrating, that sometimes you pay premium prices for something you have to work hard on for long hours, and this work is more pain than fun. I say this while I'm in love with Forge World models, but sometimes they can achieve, that I put everything aside after some frustrating situations on my hobbi-table.

On a sidenote I'm happy, that I have my Spartan, and I cannot wait to have the time to prime it. And I will be proud, when my Iron Hands army will be complete. It has been (and maybe will be) a long journey, but it was worth it. 

Thank you Vykes! I would like to add 5 more Breachers/Immortals to them to have a full, 20 man unit. They will be the backbone (a really tough one) of the army. And then some vehicles too, but not sure on what to choose.

And I have some plans for the Sons of Horus too...

My Questoris Knights are also a long project, but they are for 40k. I wanted to add something to them, and because there are still no serfs in the Codex I might be taking a few custom infantry squad. They will be maybe legit for Imperial Army/Militia too :wink:

But as GW puts out every week something, that is worth looking, it is getting more and more difficult to be keeping myself on track with the Horus Heresy. Not that I like 8th so much, but the new releases make me to want to collect nearly everything. 

• 2 weeks later...

I came back with a little update. Painting the Rhinos has been again stopped because of other things. I seriously would need some help with limiting all my project to only one or two, but I'm uncapable of doing so... :teehee: There are just to many things that I'm interested in. 

I brought some images about my Iron Hands Catapractii this time. I painted them last year (I have a strong feeling, that they where half the models I painted in 2018...), and I really like how they turned out in the end.

I think the Cataphractii are the best plastic models for the Heresy. It's a shame that GW moved them to direct only, and FW stopped producing those fancy shoulder pads to them. They went together very smoothly, and painting them was very easy! Sometimes I fancy a whole army out of them, a thing that hardly ever happens.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm really sorry, but I wasn't too active in this part of the forums for the last couple of months, and I didn't made any big progress on the miniature side either... I've tried to convince one of my friends to join our ranks, and bolster the Heresy community, but in the end it didn't worked out. And with Brexit nearing to its uncertain final push I'm absolutely saddened as I live on mainland Europe, and it maybe means to me that all the shiny toys that I still wanted to add to my collection will be more difficult and pricey to acquire... :sad.:

I'm still missing most of the SoH stuff I wanted, and the Iron Hands to need some armour to be effective and fluffy. I just can't afford to order everything that I want.

In the meantime I worked more and more on my small Titanicus force, it seems that collections is absorbing now most of my time and enthusiasm. But I hope, that I will be able to make at least some real progress on my HH stuff this year. I have 3 months to go.

Today I finished my first IH Rhino - I started working on it in July, so this model took the longest time to finish. In the end I changed my mind, and instead of Dawnstone I used Eshin Grey to make some edge highlight. Nothing fancy, but it is the Iron Hands way, is'nt it? :smile.:

DSCN2031

DSCN2030

DSCN2028

DSCN2026

• 1 month later...

I really struggle to keep up the pace with all my projects. Because in the last months it had been clear, that nobody in this area will start anything AoD related my painting project halted, and I spend most of my time with my new AT titans, and my custom Knight Household. But still I managed to get the MAN himself, Ferrus Manus in his full glory!

It was an epic moment, when the box finally arrived, and I went through all the bits and pieces... Simon Egan is such a great artist. I'm absolutely sad, that I couldn't afford to have the whole Emp's Family... 

Ferrus Manus

It went together nicely, but the small cables and chains where still a pain. Some of them broke... but still, he is absolutely amazing. I hope, that I could do some justice to him with my limited painting skills. 

But I think, that I will be gluing the whole base together. He will be mostly a centerpiece model, I don't think, that he will see that many battles. I hope that I will not make a mistake by doing so!!!!

Some lovely models you have there, those Sons of Horus are really nice! I used to prefer the Luna Wolves colours but I am not so sure anymore.. :wink:

Ferrus looks great.

Too bad no one plays AoD around you.. Might change? Or you can play 40k somehow, with it? Or in the meantime, until the herectics over there see the error of their ways, enjoy building and painting the stuff while your Titans derp around in that game?:happy.:

Keep up the great job though!

Some lovely models you have there, those Sons of Horus are really nice! I used to prefer the Luna Wolves colours but I am not so sure anymore.. :wink:

Ferrus looks great.

Too bad no one plays AoD around you.. Might change? Or you can play 40k somehow, with it? Or in the meantime, until the herectics over there see the error of their ways, enjoy building and painting the stuff while your Titans derp around in that game?:happy.:

Keep up the great job though!

Thank you, Brother from the Vlka Fenryka! It is heartening to have another wolf around - even when he isn't with the Warmaster! :wink: 

I don't know if the things will change, but better not hope, and then I won't get disappointed! Still, I will build and paint my armies, because the Heresy was the only thing, that kept me around the hobby, and I love the setting and the models way better, than anything 40k has to offer. Even Knights - and that is something, because I love my Knights!!! But still, Primarchs rule! 

That's the reason I think, that my Lord, Ferrus will be more of a centerpiece. And I think I could still use him with the big base :biggrin.: