Future Black Book speculation

Tymell

Wasn’t the LCTB clean out his idea because they had to clear space? Which is why all the upgrade stuff bit the dust but not the big kits like random 40k superheavies?

I think it was based entirely on sales numbers, which is why upgrade kits and variant armours etc that took the brunt of the cuts, being a niche of a niche of a niche of a niche kind of deal. I mean cuts hit the Heresy hard but they did hit everything to some extent, like the resin guard for example which in a similar situation got basically cleaned out.

I think the upgrade kits were actually decent sellers, because if you look back at the Instagram accounts and Facebook groups from when they were available you’d see them sprinkled throughout almost every army. When it comes to those I’d imagine they had to triage it. If every player buys a Leviathan with 60-80 bins of sprue or however many it comes with, and every player buys a torso upgrade kit with 2 sprues for a third of the price, you can get rid of the space for upgrades and still sell leviathans.

It may well have been sales-based in part, but I refuse to believe that (at the time) the entirety of the MkII line sold less than the Corsair upgrade kit for Eldar Guardians.

Which is why that part got stealth canned yeeeeeeears  before this cull, believe me, as a Corsair player up until FW squatted them i really would have preferred to buy them from FW but the mould broke, leaving them out of stock for ages with no intention to fix it, up until they got quietly binned. Still Bitter, though probably more bitter about getting squatted.

As i understand it, the space wasnt just physical, it was catalogue and system codes too. Somehow FW have a hard cap on the number of products they can have available (Though that makes little sense to me) so the size/complexity of kits was not a primary problem, just the fact that they exited as discrete products. Which is also why you see less upgrade kits in general. :/ 

Since Badab War is getting a lore book, there is a good chance for the lore in the black books to be revised, new art etc. That would be a very long time in happening though at this current rate.

Wait, where is this from?

My bad, it was Sabbat Worlds Crussade, not Badab War. From the BL Weekender post on War Com.

FW have released a bunch of models since the last book. How does this specific release equate to boding well?

I guess it's the fact that FW released a model for which no WIP was shown beforehand, nor did we have any indication that it was being sculpted. While it made sense that the UM would get their own variant, most contemptors from legions in Books 1-4 were released years ago, while newer legions got them shortly after (or even before) their Black Book. Moreover,

if I recall correctly, when people asked to FW in the past about it, they said there were no plans at the moment for it. Just compare the BA incaladius contemptor, recently released, which was previewed a long time ago, with this one that came out of the blue (hehe, blue :D).

This can lead to some optimistic speculation that FW is putting more resources back into HH, so that they can just design and produce a kit in such a short term that no previews or WIP are shown before its release. Maybe, and just maybe, it means a new sculptor has joined the FW team, and he decided to fill the gap in the Contemptor range as his first project? That would be great news.

Edited by Elzender

Considering models get molded and cast when the sculptors have a finished product capable of producing it’s not disorganized. Disorganized is releasing unfinished or trash models. People :cuss on the space wolf models, but the ones I’ve handled have all be exceptional casts.

FW have released a bunch of models since the last book. How does this specific release equate to boding well?

I guess it's the fact that FW released a model for which no WIP was shown beforehand, nor did we have any indication that it was being sculpted. While it made sense that the UM would get their own variant, most contemptors from legions in Books 1-4 were released years ago, while newer legions got them shortly after (or even before) their Black Book. Moreover, if I recall correctly, when people asked to FW in the past about it, they said there were no plans at the moment for it. Just compare the BA incaladius contemptor, recently released, which was previewed a long time ago, with this one that came out of the blue (hehe, blue :biggrin.:).

This can lead to some optimistic speculation that FW is putting more resources back into HH, so that they can just design and produce a kit in such a short term that no previews or WIP are shown before its release. Maybe, and just maybe, it means a new sculptor has joined the FW team, and he decided to fill the gap in the Contemptor range as his first project? That would be great news.

It could also be that they were done with it for a while and just.... Forgot to release it until now. :laugh.: That wouldn't surprise me in the least.

But it could be something good, yes.

Considering models get molded and cast when the sculptors have a finished product capable of producing it’s not disorganized. Disorganized is releasing unfinished or trash models. People :censored: on the space wolf models, but the ones I’ve handled have all be exceptional casts.

Yeah, this. I mean, I've only ever had one model from Forge World that had any MAJOR flaws, and I've ordered quite a large number of stuff from them. Said model was a Deredeo Dreadnought, specifically it's autocannons, but that was during the Dreadnought offer, so I expected there to possibly be some.... issues.

Also, they :cuss on the Space Wolf models because some of them look TERRIBLE in their opinion (banana fur), not because the casts are bad

Edited by Gederas

They said they're going to release a contemptor and Praetor for every legion. The NL ser also came as an out of nowhere surprise, released before WS's stuff. It's just indicative of a disorganized company.

Fair enough, I forgot about the Night Lords, although I think there were some WIPs shown of the praetors, but I might be misremembering. And yes, FW is not the most structured company when it comes to releases, but it never was due to their nature as a niche within a niche miniature store, and due to their general philosophy regarding sculpts (sculptors had much more freedom to choose what to design). But still, it is a surprising thing that we did not get a single hint of this contemptor coming, and I would like to think it is a good sign. I guess that, as usual, only time will tell.

EDIT: I think the quote was actually that all legions were bound to get a Leviathan, PA and terminator praetor. That all legions would receive a specific contemptor was something that was assumed by everyone as most legions got one, even the ones that didn't like them that much (White Scars generally disliking dreadnoughts, and I think I recall some sources stated that Wolves were not particularly fond of contemptors). The UM got the short end of the stick for a long time for uncertain reasons contemptor-wise.

Edited by Elzender

They said they're going to release a contemptor and Praetor for every legion. The NL ser also came as an out of nowhere surprise, released before WS's stuff. It's just indicative of a disorganized company.

Fair enough, I forgot about the Night Lords, although I think there were some WIPs shown of the praetors, but I might be misremembering. And yes, FW is not the most structured company when it comes to releases, but it never was due to their nature as a niche within a niche miniature store, and due to their general philosophy regarding sculpts (sculptors had much more freedom to choose what to design). But still, it is a surprising thing that we did not get a single hint of this contemptor coming, and I would like to think it is a good sign. I guess that, as usual, only time will tell.

EDIT: I think the quote was actually that all legions were bound to get a Leviathan, PA and terminator praetor. That all legions would receive a specific contemptor was something that was assumed by everyone as most legions got one, even the ones that didn't like them that much (White Scars generally disliking dreadnoughts, and I think I recall some sources stated that Wolves were not particularly fond of contemptors). The UM got the short end of the stick for a long time for uncertain reasons contemptor-wise.

Its weird because I am almost sure that we knew about NL Prae before their release. Almost positive they were at an open day in fact. 

My comment was more geared to the fact that we have almost always recieved notice of models before their arrival. More to the point, in the last years since the slow down really hit, we have only gotten models that have been seen in the Open Days and folks in this thread were specifically discussing it as a sign of concern that only the very old mention of the Incandius was left. Some folks were wondering if we would be stuck with nothing until the next open day after its coming.

So I took it as a good sign that we got a new, and unheard of, model not long after its release.

This isn't meant to be blind optimism, FW has never really rewarded that, but it is meant to be a small hope spot that we might get more stuff than we expected and outside of the Open Day-cycle. 

Space Wolves for some reason thought Contemptors drove their pilots mad. Although this seemed to become self-fulfilling as they only buried madmen in them as a result. 

Granted, Dreadnought lore is a bit all-over the place. I remember one early claim in Betrayal implying dreadnoughts were not used at all before the Xenocides, which I find sort of insane. Given that the tech was already somewhat used on Terra and that this was in reference to the Twelth, which does not make sense with the former Legionmaster since the dates given for his rule and the books that discuss him imply that he was out before Rangda. So it was either an oversight or they kept him in random box for some reason until they got Dreadnought tech and decided to roll with it...

If I had to guess, the SW lore regarding the Contemptors was likely a way to explain why Bjorn was not interred in a Contemptor chassis, considering they are overall better than a castraferrum pattern, since at that point it was still likely that they had some spare contemptor for him :D. Edited by Elzender

Kinda gettin tired of this lack of news and unclarity regarding FW and the future of HH, does anyone want to start an email petition i.e. I can write an email template and each of us can send it individually to FW's email account. Maybe get their attention IDK, it doesn't seem like a HH weekender is occurring early next year, as its only four months away from the usual time

Kinda gettin tired of this lack of news and unclarity regarding FW and the future of HH, does anyone want to start an email petition i.e. I can write an email template and each of us can send it individually to FW's email account. Maybe get their attention IDK, it doesn't seem like a HH weekender is occurring early next year, as its only four months away from the usual time

There really isn’t any uncertainty here, other than from those people who love to create the idea that there is without anything tangible from FW or GW other than supposition.

Here’s what we know is happening with 30k based upon actual facts stated by GW, FW and from questions that were asked and answered by the FW guys directly during various events they attended:

-There are many more black books that they plan on doing, they said between 15-20 in total so we’re looking at least another seven.

-After book nine has been released, they plan on doing a point rebalanced Legions Red Book.

-30k is doing fine as a game and will continue receiving support as it has for the last two years, but it will not go back to frequency of releases that existed while 40k was in 7th Ed.

-Although FW is not against starter bundles, they do not want a “Start Collecting” type box on the shelves for 30k.

-GW in their last yearly report to their shareholders described 30k as one of their 3 main brands, the other two being 40k and Sigmar respectively.

-GW has invested heavily into new plastic tooling equipment, so there is a strong possibility that we will see more plastics in the future.

Simply put, 30k will continue receiving support as it has and its not going anywhere.

Edited by m0nolith

• 3 weeks later...

Surprised this hasn't been posted here yet, but WHC has a piece on Book 9 and upcoming HH things here: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/11/20/the-next-stages-of-the-horus-heresyfw-homepage-post-1/

Personally, any move towards communicating news about upcoming HH releases in the same way as GW has been doing with everything else for a while now is very positive. So much of the cynicism about the future of the Heresy setting that has sprung up stems from how poorly the community side of things has been handled in the last couple of tears.

Surprised this hasn't been posted here yet, but WHC has a piece on Book 9 and upcoming HH things here: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/11/20/the-next-stages-of-the-horus-heresyfw-homepage-post-1/

Personally, any move towards communicating news about upcoming HH releases in the same way as GW has been doing with everything else for a while now is very positive. So much of the cynicism about the future of the Heresy setting that has sprung up stems from how poorly the community side of things has been handled in the last couple of tears.

Good:

~ showing interest in the community

~ giving us some previews

~ announcing new models

Bad:

~ no HH Weekender next year

Good:

~ showing interest in the community

~ giving us some previews

~ announcing new models

Bad:

~ no HH Weekender next year

I guess the Bad has the potential to turn into 'Okay/Good' if the lack of a Weekender in Q1 means a more coherent approach to releases etc.

Also, as I've seen on Facebook, the article references new 'books and models' plural, for 2020!