The Dark Angels of Shaneos

Shaneos

It is time I join the brotherhood of The First here with my own progress thread/blog.

o8VrgAO.jpg

HCLgXqJ.jpg

ms4ZXtY.jpg

beYb9NJ.jpg

This is what I painted last year during (July/August?) that competition The Wolf and the Lion but then TBAC went down for those 2 or 3 weeks and the competition kind of fizzled. I hadn't quite finished him when the site came back online either, so I was kind of a filthy oathbreaker. But a week after that I got him to this point where I was pretty happy with the kitbash and painting. First time really trying glazing techniques and also wet blending on the cloak. Still quite sloppy in places but it was a massive step up showing myself that I can paint at a better quality than just base colours washes and the odd edge highlight.

Still haven't come up with the lore or name or backstory for my version of the Dark Angels. I pretty much just replaced the red with orange as I find it more pleasing to the eye with the bone and green combo. It also looks fantastic with Deathwing and Ravenwing.

I also love the over the top grimdarkness and cyber punk gothic theme of 40k, for skulls, bionics, cathedrals, and candles which will soon be seen with my 10 intercessors, still very wip.

Much more to come!

Edited by Shaneos

I got some shiny new proper sized oval bike bases, 20 of them total.
Here is the first 14 getting some basing work done.

DbqhVaz.jpg

I use this fine green sand, a coarser black one, and some grey small rocks I bought bought some bags of at a pet store (for aquariums maybe?). And I also have some mulch wood chips i use for the larger 'slate' rocks.

Trying to learn to make my basing have more variety and appropriate scale to to trick the eye.

AuOQTL3.jpg

The result after using Vallejo earth texture. I'll have to put some skulls and stuff on here then it will be ready for a prime!

NykB7EG.jpg

Some Black knights after a little wash!

B0Hc3zn.jpg

Don't really have any proper photos of my finished bikes. Here is one from a game day so you can see my colour scheme. Got the old classic Tumerial (Spelling?) biker libby conversion too :)

Oh this was what I was meant to post today, almost forgot!

PWoWmqc.jpg

I did a Ravenwing stencil for my carry case!
I have 2 other carry cases like this, one for Deathwing and other for Greenwing. They will soon get the same treatment so I stop getting boxes confused and opening the wrong one when I go to grab models...

Yeah I just printed out images on A4 and cut it out just an afternoon of hobby, then another one to paint this one on. I'll whack it with some coats of varnish soon (never varnished before seems easy enough) and hopefully it will last and not get rubbed off.

I'll try to make another post in a few days to show some more of my collection. Maybe start with some of my older models and do it in some resemblance of order haha. 

I've been lurking and occasionally posting here since mid last year. Everyone here in this forum has given me a TONNE of inspiration and enjoyment with the conversations and sharing.

I'm so glad I've started my own thread now this is quite rewarding! I'll try to post every weekend to share and provide my own humble journey, lessons, and progress. :) :) :)

Apologies I was not able to post on the weekend, had my parents come over for a rare stay over the weekend and I had to adult.

A few months ago I started on 10 Primaris Intercessors from the Dark Imperium box set (late to the party I know).
I started out just wanting to rush through them, get them done and keep them basic, just to a tabletop standard. 

But then as I inevitably always do I got sidetracked and wanted them to join in my Primaris LT above, in the theme of spiked skulls and candles.

No heresy here just an evolution of the whole knight/hunter theme I'm hoping to go for. I'm drafting ideas for a successor chapter and lore, perhaps they are all recruited from an Ancient Africa type tribal/hunter gatherer world and this is a cultural quirk the geneseed did not overpower. Perhaps they collect these grisly trophies of their triumphs and proudly display them. Maybe they have some primitive beliefs that if they take the skull of their foes and eat their brains they can learn everything from their prey. Maybe it isn't true for most of their warriors, but it is for those of them with certain psychic tendencies. Perhaps their natural psychers were their chiefs and started these rituals out of the usefulness of it aeons ago, but now it has become this barbaric tradition. The feathers theme that GW had going for a while in terms of the whole native american indian thing would fit where I'm thinking of going with this chapter better also.

Also in line with what I've heard about the most recent DA novel, where Primaris are being mindwiped after every battle, these candles on their packs could have the active forgetting agent in them that burns smokey and thick in the air after the din of battle, so that they automatically mind wipe themselves, sparing the poor librarians an unwholesome chore! Maybe even the skulls have something like that in them too?

Still very much brainstorming, would be happy if some could bounce their reactions back to these ideas?

Here's some progress shots! Forgive the amateur photography I'll make some effort to take some nice shots when they are done.

tf14zlD.jpg

qcuDGkC.jpg

BhCITQo.jpg

lpJuIix.jpg

See how this ambitious guy on the right has no skulls but is certainly preparing for it!

v2cBktz.jpg
​First time airbrushing base coats down! 

ploBoc1.jpg
They turned out a bit bright in this shot, they are definitely not this green. Nothing a good wash won't fix.

I'll make some time to post again, maybe my latest two 'finished' models from this year, a Darkshroud and an interrogator Chaplain!

Edited by DarkCathedralGaming

Chaplain Seraphicus!

Not entirely happy with how he turned out, needs more contrast, but I had to move on as I have a big backlog to work through!

wtVuWRK.jpg

VbuI3mK.jpg

Didn't realise there was a big glob of water on him when I took the photo, sorry about that!

Excellent work yet again!

Question:  The Master in your very first post... where are all the parts from? I can work some out but the legs?? Backpack?? 

Cheers

Not DarkCathedralGaming, but....  It looks like they're from Zameon Gydrael from Kill Team Cassius.

01-01.jpg

Thanks all for the warm welcome :) I'm looking forward to swiftly adding more as I complete my backlog, especially during this upcoming ETL!

@Gederas is correct! Good eyes.

@G8Keeper

The main body was used from that killteam guy. Had to do some chop chopping to twist the torso and create a bit more height in the midsection to make it look better, where some GS was used. Then it was just different bitz from our upgrade sprues; rwing and greenwing and company veterans iirc.

It honestly felt like a bit of a fluke - the conversion and paint job all turned out so well, and remains my best work so far. It was my first time trying to do wet-blending and glazing but I had watched hours of youtube on these techniques. I feel like I've forgotten most of it and gone backwards since haha.

@Sneakybamsen Regarding Seraphicus I agree, the back area I am happy with but the front could use more work. Also the basing I think is all a bit washed out in tone, and kind of pastel  like the front area. One day I'll get back to him and give him a bit more contrast, but for now moving forward!

Trying to finish some black knights and 10 intercessors before ETL starts but I'm not sure I'll get there without some mammoth sessions. Wish me buckets of grim resolve brothers - I must attempt it regardless. I have too many half painted models which I cannot even vow for the ETL:sweat: :sweat: :sweat: 
That will teach me to finish what I start...

Had a small 750 pt game yesterday - the start of our winter campaign. I played The Gauntlet mission as attacker with a small scouting party of Ravenwing led by Interrormancer Librarian Gariel (affectionately known as Garry) against some necrons. I think this is actually the first time I didn't take photos at a game, silly me!
One of our friends who doesn't live locally has been doing some writing for us based on our games.
He started this during our last summer campaign which he was actually here for. But to keep him involved I took plenty of notes for him, and I wrote this to start him off (be kind, not a writer, first time writing fluff):

"A Ravenwing scouting party led by Interrormancer Librarian Gariel were deployed for a night patrol mission to explore the ruined city. They split into two groups to cover more ground for the scouting operation. The night passed uneventfully and the place appeared completely abandoned. It was dark and stealthy work, perfect for the sleek black forms of man and mechanical steed. They were on schedule to meet early in the AM at the centre of the ruined city.  In the dark grey pre-dawn gloom each party crested a summit of rubble and ruin and confirmed visual contact across the city square.

Gariel sensed something and with a gesture made them halt. 
There, down in the ruins of an ancient cathedral for unknown gods, a small detachment of undead mechanical Necron warriors were marching forward with unknown purpose. There was no hesitation, no discussion. The Ravenwing ambushed the foul xenos with wordless agreement. Their engines revved as they accelerated to battle speed to perform a pincer attack maneuver to block the skeletal warriors from whatever destination they had in mind. 

As they rushed forward Gariel noted that behind the sea of warriors was a Necron Lord and Cryptek directing their machine brethren forward and augmenting their neon green energy weapon attacks with their strange orb tech. They were followed by a Stalker in the rear, a large and strange spider like machine, all sleek hard lines and deadly curves that moved in a smooth and graceful way.  Perhaps that could be ignored. He decided the leaders must die and their warriors be scattered. He unleashed warp fire and smote 3 Necron warriors down in a single blast. He gifted Squad Crowley with righteous repugnance so their hammers would furiously crush true.

The Ravenwing fell upon them with vicious bolter and plasma fire. Because of the dark, the shifting mists and smoke, and difficult city ruins terrain to traverse, they found their targets elusive and missed many shots. But the attack was swift so they only faced scattering of overwatch fire as their bikes slammed into the mass of metal bodies. They got to work with roaring chain-swords and vicious Corvus hammers."

• 4 weeks later...

Gentlemen, may I present to you  this glorious primaris lieutenant.

I have been too busy with IRL lately and the hobby had a bit of a lul last week for me (I usually try to do bare minimum 1 min of hobby per day), but I did manage to 'complete' this. I think this is the best basing I've done yet - I'm really proud how it turned out. There's a lot more that I could try to do to bring this character further to life, learn and try some more glazing and edge highlights, learn to do weathering also, but I have run out of time as ETL is upon us! 

I also have 10 primaris intercessors half done and 6 black knights half done :teehee: I wish I could have pledged those to the cause. They will have to go hiatus for 3 months as I complete my vows.

ElkZBSv.jpg

4aabq1V.jpg

Name change!!! Decided not to pursue making a hobby brand name and website and social medias etc. with darkcathedralgaming - too much effort not enough time these days, plus my friends that were gonna help all bailed. Still hobbying away!

I'd rather my brothers here just call me by name/nickname Shaneos. Much better and less of a mouthful.

Thanks Arkley for the compliment :)

Going to have to get the title to this thread changed... I wonder if that is possible...

++ETL Progress update:

Most of my first vow zenithal primed and ready to go:

8uiC4wv.jpg

q9ugIic.jpg

djzmYrS.jpg

Finecast Sammael has been a struggle and learning experience...

6Zzv2gS.jpg

This guy is why I've taken so long getting my first vow ready to paint... I had to rebuild him as it was all stuffed up.

Had to do some greenstuff to get him to fit. There is also some at the bow below the eagle where there was a massive gap/flaw in the material. There are countless holes/marks and crap around this model, I hope most of it will be hidden.
I also accidentally bent the sword nearly at 90 degrees half way up, broke off the bottom spike of his chest skull symbol by his sword arm shoulder, and the fine cast caught fire when I was trying to heat it to bend things back...

But nearly there! Last model to prime for vow 1...