Lord of Arcane Sciences: a Fix to make Crypteks more fluffy

So, one of the things we Phaerons complain about I mean discuss in the Necrontyr sub forum is how crypteks lost all their options, they aren’t fluffy anymore, etc.

So, in an effort to fix that, I mocked up some rules for Crypteks to make them more unique, and a little more psychic-phase-esque.

Feedback welcome!

Change the Resurrection Orb to read the following: Any <Necrons> Unit within 6” that attempts one or more Reanimation Protocols roll may add 1 to the result of any such rolls.

Add the following rule to the Cryptek datasheet, the Illuminor Szeras datasheet, and the Orikan the Diviner datasheet: Lord of Arcane Science

Lord of Arcane Sciences: a model with this rule may generate two Technosorceries from the Technosorcery table, in addition to the Trigger Reanimation Protocols Technosorcery. No Technosorcery may be picked more than once, unless all others have been picked by other models. Alternatively, this model may roll for its Technosorceries, rerolling doubles. Technosorceries may be cast at the end of the movement phase, and a model with this rule may cast two Technosorceries per turn.

Technosorceries:
Trigger Reanimation Protocols: This model may target a unit with the Reanimation Protocols rule, or that has been affected by the Repair Subroutines Stratagem. Immediately make another Reanimation Protocols roll for that unit.
1. Summon Canoptek Monsters: roll 2D6. On a 5 or greater, set up a unit of up to 250 points of models with the <Canoptek> keyword within 3” of the Cryptek. Alternatively, return a <Canoptek> unit within 3” to full size, or add 100 points worth of casualties back. If not all models can be placed legally and within range, they are destroyed.
2. Electrostatic Storm: Roll a D6 for every enemy model within 12” of the Cryptek. On a 5+, that model takes a mortal wound. Models with the <Vehicle> keyword take D3 mortal wounds instead.
3. Temporal Distortion Field: Choose one friendly unit within 6” with the <Necrons> keyword. Roll a D6. On a 3+, it may advance and charge this turn, as well as fire if able.
4. Wave of Horrors: draw a line from the Cryptek in any direction, up to 24” away. Any enemy model that is within 2” of this line takes a S6 AP-2 hit, as it is assailed by a roiling wave of monsters and crawling things phasing in and out of the ground.
5. Mindshackle Scarabs: pick an enemy unit within 18”. Roll 3d6, and compare to the enemy unit’s leadership. If it it equal to of higher than the target’s leadership, immediately make a shooting attack with the unit as if it was your own. This attack follows all normal rules of shooting, and may not target a character unless they are the closest model.
6. Starforgers: this model may target a friendly <Necrons> model within 6” with the Living Metal special rule. Regenerate an additional D3 wounds for that model this turn.

Edited by Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch

Looks like you've got a bit of a copy-paste error here – the table is duplicated and split in two.

This also needs to specify things like when and how Technosorceries are used. As it stands, I don't really get how these work.

That said, while Necrons certainly are boring right now, I find this solution... problematic, because it just adds a fake psyker to Necrons and hopes no-one will notice.

Edited by Revlid

*sighs* that's what i get for writing it in iNotes and posting from mobile skin. Thanks, revlid. 

I'll work on specifying when it happens, as that seems to be your main critique.

I joined shortly after 'newcrons' became a thing, so I can't speak to that, but if you need to vent (in a cronstructive manner), you're welcome over in the tombs to share your opinion! If you're thinking of an oldcrons style army I'm sure you'll have support in Necrontyr.

I would recommend rephrasing the ability itself like this:

Lord of Arcane Sciences
Units with this ability have installed highly advanced metascience modules that allow them to warp reality in specific ways. Before the battle, roll on the table below to see which technosorcery powers the unit has installed (re-rolling duplicates). Alternatively, you can pick the powers the unit has, but if you do this you cannot choose a power that has already been taken by another unit until every powers have been taken once each. The one exception is the Trigger Reanimation Protocols power, which can always be chosen for any unit with this ability. A unit can use any technosorcery powers it has installed once per battle round, at the end of your Movement phase.

I would also suggest rephrasing Summon Canoptek Monsters to match the wording for daemon summoning.
Edited by Revlid