Unit of the Week: Librarian in Terminator Armour

Jolemai

Welcome to part three of the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 8th edition Codex, there is no better time to discuss all the units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield. Where part one will focus on the unique BA units and part two will focus on BA units that are new to this edition of the Codex, part three will discuss how to get the best use the generic units from the past that are still with us (and that many of us have in our armies still).

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Librarian in Terminator Armour
sml_gallery_62972_11847_115665.jpg
TDA Librarian, Xenith

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use a TDA Librarian?
  • To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the beta rules affect your list(s)?
  • Will you be running multiple units?
  • Footslog, transport, or Teleport Strike? Suitable for Warlord duties?
  • What weapons and equipment are you taking and does the above affect how you run them?
  • What psychic powers are you taking and how are you using them?
  • Are you buffing this unit? If so, how?
  • Stratagems of note?

Over to you

Nb: Please note that Primaris Librarian, Librarian Dreadnought, Mephiston, and Librarian will be covered on a separate entry.

Edited by Jolemai

Terminator armour is generally not my first choice for our characters but it does have the advantage of being the only way we can give a Librarian an invulnerable save so it can have a role.

If you are playing defensively and want a backfield character to cast powers like Shield of Sanguinius on a valuable units, then a Terminator Librarian might have some value. Maybe combo with a unit of Hellblasters and an Ancient with Standard of Sacrifice.

To be honest I don't feel that is playing to our strengths.

Only used one once so far. Did a Teleport Strike and went to use Wings afterwards but whiffed :/ I think there's potential here with a storm shield (Index option) - Wings, Quickening, force axe, storm shield as maybe a tarpit?

More a fun unit that anything, I think. He can still take a combi weapon using the index, right? A combi-plasma adds a nice bit of firepower, especially with a captain around, melta is maybe a safer option. 

Force axe + Red Thirst + Quickening is quite threatening, but that can be said of non TDA Librarians also. 

Edited by Xenith

Only used one once so far. Did a Teleport Strike and went to use Wings afterwards but whiffed :/ I think there's potential here with a storm shield (Index option) - Wings, Quickening, force axe, storm shield as maybe a tarpit?

Can wings be used the same turn the libby deepstrikes? I know it won't work for Mephiston after he exits a drop pod, due to the Big FAQ 2 iirc Index: Chaos FAQ.

Edit: Found the correct source.

Edited by Slothysaur

Can wings be used the same turn the libby deepstrikes? I know it won't work for Mephiston after he exits a drop pod, due to the Big FAQ 2 iirc.

I was under the impression "move again" abilities cannot be used on a unit who has arrived from reserves that turn. I'm not certain which FAQ that's in though. Quickening still turns a 9 inch charge into a 6 inch charge though, so that's still pretty solid.

Can wings be used the same turn the libby deepstrikes? I know it won't work for Mephiston after he exits a drop pod, due to the Big FAQ 2 iirc.

Looking through BigFaq 2, i don't see anything that would prevent a unit from using a psychic power on the turn in which they arrive.  Maybe you were thinking of the tactical reserve rule that stops us from deepstriking units turn one? it should work for Mephiston as well.

A unit can't move again after arriving from reserves. There is a few precedents already set, but the biggest previous offender was Warptiming a unit that had just arrived (which no longer works from FAQ.)

One thing the termie libby has going for it is vs a vindicare. Sit the libby in terrain and now he has a 4+ save vs a vindicare shot (1+ with -3AP.)

A unit can't move again after arriving from reserves. There is a few precedents already set, but the biggest previous offender was Warptiming a unit that had just arrived (which no longer works from FAQ.)

That being said, he can still cast Wings and benefit from other than move-during-psychic-phase characteristics of the spell until it worns out.

After shuffling through ten different FAQ's I found what I was looking for. In the Index: Chaos FAQ the following is answered: When Warptime is manifested, you cannot select a unit that had arrived from reserves that turn to be affected. That FAQ inadvrtantly nerfed Mephiston using Wings when deploying from a drop pod (a popular tactic at the time), which would directly transfer to a Terminator Librarian being unable to move using Wings the turn it arrived from reserves. I have no idea when this FAQ happened, but you're absolutely right Jolemai, it was doable in the past.

I do think that Wings is a great power to take on a terminator librarian however. It makes the librarian suprisingly mobile and could easily catch your opponent off guard, it could even lead to you sniping an enemy character with smite. Now that I really think more about it, I don't think I would take the terminator librarian without Wings.

After shuffling through ten different FAQ's I found what I was looking for. In the Index: Chaos FAQ the following is answered: When Warptime is manifested, you cannot select a unit that had arrived from reserves that turn to be affected. That FAQ inadvrtantly nerfed Mephiston using Wings when deploying from a drop pod (a popular tactic at the time), which would directly transfer to a Terminator Librarian being unable to move using Wings the turn it arrived from reserves. I have no idea when this FAQ happened, but you're absolutely right Jolemai, it was doable in the past.

It's also in the main rulebook FAQ under the Reiforcements section. There it points out that a unit that is set up as reinforcements cannot move that turn (except for charging). Technically, it was never doable, just no one realized that you weren't supposed to be allowed to do it. Once GW realized that everyone was doing it, they had to point to the rule that says it's not allowed. 

Wings + Quickening is still a good combo for a deepstriking Terminator Librarian though. Bonus to charge and re-rolling can let him get into a unit once he drops, plus more movement and FLY for next turn. If he has the axe, he'll be wounding most infantry on 2+. Won't blend a unit, but can put the hurt on a smaller unit or a character. 

We have three "magic missiles" and access to combi-weaponry. Any use to be found with a fire and forget unit going after targets of opportunity? Perhaps objective camping?

We have three "magic missiles" and access to combi-weaponry. Any use to be found with a fire and forget unit going after targets of opportunity? Perhaps objective camping?

Smite + combimelta can be unforgiving for a lone character. Unfortunately it doesn't happen that often.

I like the model a lot, but unfortunately it usually fails to have any real effect on the game.