Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Games Workshop - Contrast and Paint?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
652 replies to this topic

Shovellovin

Shovellovin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 313 posts

https://www.warhamme...warhammer-fest/

Anyone know what this video is about? The video mentions "contrast" in regards to paint. A new technical paint? A Games Workshop airbrush?

Panzer

Panzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,076 posts
  • Faction: Order of Baal, Dal'yth Sept

The video makes me think of the dip pots ... please don't let it be that lol

Edited by sfPanzer, 23 April 2019 - 03:45 PM.

• Xenith likes this

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpggallery_62972_10568_4118.jpg

zarkkarn

zarkkarn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 24 posts
Sounding less itriguing and more like just a GW strong tone.

Triszin

Triszin

++ INTERFECTOR ROBUSTUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,887 posts
Dips, and an airbrush.

1 base layer of color on parts.

Dips it.

Then use a airbrush to do quick and dirty edhe highlight
banana

Bryan Blaire

Bryan Blaire

++ EXPLORATOR BIOLOGIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,857 posts
  • Faction: Imperium, Chaos, Xenos
We’ve been discussing that since the “50 Shelves of Grey” video down in the Forge PCA forum.

I’m really hoping it’s not just “dipping pot sized” Shades, or a “dipping pot” to pour Shades into.
  • Ranulf likes this
My DA Successor Chapter DIY - Stoneburners: Index Astartes Stoneburners; Images: Stoneburners WiP - DA Forum
Completed Squads: Stoneburners - Hall of Honor Forum
Drakeslayers, Bellicose Monster Hunters of the Fang: Drakeslayers - Space Wolves Forum
Other Material Here (Angels on both sides of the Long War): PCA WiP Forum
gallery_59244_7045_11084.jpggallery_59244_7045_3768.jpggallery_59244_7045_10256.jpg

Magos Takatus

Magos Takatus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,312 posts

That is a great video. I was chuckling right through it. I still have no idea what it means in the wider hobby sense. I also hope it's not just a vat of wash to dip models in. That would quickly get out of hand if you have to shade a Stardrake of a Trygon. They would have to sell it in a bucket. :P

Formerly known as Flame Boy since about 1999. Time for a change! smile.png

My Adeptus Mechanicus Ploghttp://www.bolterand...og-torburnides/

My Ork Ploghttp://www.bolterand...oys-orky-horde/

https://www.instagra.../magos_takatus/

gallery_48988_15465_6059.png

Arkhanist

Arkhanist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,251 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels, GSC, Death Guard

Yeah, after the '50 shelves of grey' video  I was wondering if it'd be a branded airbrush, of a knockoff of army painter quickshade dip. After this one, I'm now 90% convinced it's going to be an inferior and pricier dip.

The reason quickshade works is because it's oil based - giving you time to move it around and avoid pools, wick off excess around the legs after a few minutes, and finally gives a much more graduated shade than just slathering it in earthshade. Would GW do an oil based dip given the greater toxicity than acrylics? Seems more likely they'll just do a few large pots of diluted washes and call it a day. And probably with one of their censored.gif awful flip lids to boot.

Cool videos though. It's just GW execution has been a bit underwhelming on the painting side for well, forever.

Edited by Arkhanist, 23 April 2019 - 06:15 PM.

• mithrilforge and Stoic Raptor like this

gallery_53969_15812_3395.gif gallery_62972_14467_3819.jpg gallery_48988_15465_4294.png gallery_48988_15094_4883.png

Aztek

Aztek

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 579 posts
  • Faction: Night Lords

Excited to learn what this is actually for.

Mr4Minutes

Mr4Minutes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 662 posts
Duncan would never stand for a GW/citadel “dip” paint. It’s impossible to achieve 2 thin coats and would therefore invalidate his catch phrase.

I’m leaning air brush, but that seems like a more complicated tool then GW normally pushes.
  • Interrogator Stobz, stretch_135 and Kite Senet like this

Sargeant Centurion

Sargeant Centurion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 117 posts
  • Faction: Green Ultramarines

The only thing i can expect, its what every one says, some kind of quickshade ink. Plus, i must say... i want, if Wachoski sisters make a new Matrix movie, Peachy must be the new Morpheo.

• 01RTB01 likes this

GUMIA!!!, to ME!!!!.

Lord Marshal

Lord Marshal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,757 posts
  • Faction: Imperial Guard

Would GW do an oil based dip given the greater toxicity than acrylics? Seems more likely they'll just do a few large pots of diluted washes and call it a day. And probably with one of their censored.gif awful flip lids to boot.

Regardless of """quality""" they'd sell thousands and people would defend them as the best dipshades ever because it has the Citadel™ logo from Games Workshop™.

Edited by Lord Marshal, 23 April 2019 - 07:28 PM.

• D3L likes this
gallery_30308_9518_1272.jpggallery_30308_9518_1551.pngsml_gallery_48988_16308_9366.png

Burni

Burni

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,242 posts

I'm all for the silly videos they do but this one tried too hard and Peachy had none of his inherent 'Peachy-ness' as he was just reading line for line. The Shades of Grey one was well done, this was not.

As for the product, it does seem to be a dip/shade and that's not really something I'd personally bother with but if it gets more painted models on the table that's a good thing for the hobby.

R4v3N

R4v3N

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels

Ok so, now we have a look at the painted model in the right hand of Morpheu...I mean Peach...No! Morpheus! Ah! Whoever the hell he is -Now that we have a look at a painted model,

i place my bet on paint markers, like the brand POSCA but with citadel colors. Or I heard Japaneses have those for their Gundam miniatures.

That way, you could "colorize" your miniatures like a drawing, instead of "painting them". You would apply your bases colors like this, it would be easy, it would be quick... and shade them then the traditionnal way. It would be easy for 10 year old Dylans and Kevins to use it, and remove the problem of cleaning brushes, dilution of your paints, quantity of paint loaded onto a brush, open the lid without spilling a shade or paint bottle everywhere on their clothes...
Because ya know, there's an untold rule at GW that says that every product they make should be usable easily by a 10 years old kid.

And it would be awesome for some free hands!

• Semper Fortis and Sargeant Centurion like this

battle captain corpus

battle captain corpus

++ CENTURIO COHORS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,722 posts
  • Faction: Genesis Chapter 4th Co. M37
I still feel....underwhelmed.....hmmmm

BCC
BCC's Hobby Guide:
- Be Grim Dark not Grim Derp
- Hobby for 15 minutes a day
- Your miniatures are always the best painted in the room
- Game with your heart and don't care about losing
- Make sure your opponent is having fun 

Sargeant Centurion

Sargeant Centurion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 117 posts
  • Faction: Green Ultramarines

The colors in the miniature painted looks plane, in every piece of it, reading R4v3n answer, i star to believe its not a crazy idea if citadel color makers will come in our stores.

Edited by Sargeant Centurion, 23 April 2019 - 09:00 PM.

GUMIA!!!, to ME!!!!.

Zeke160

Zeke160

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 10 posts
  • Faction: Space Wolves
With the whole “contrast” focus of this one I thought it might be some shade that maybe makes some colors more vibrant. A counterweight to the other shades.

DuskRaider

DuskRaider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,661 posts
  • Faction: Death Guard, 3rd Grand Company
While it's easy to criticize people for taking the "easy way" with dipping... and I fully believe that anyone can learn to paint well if they take the time to... I think this is good for folks who either don't have the time or have some sort of disability which would otherwise hinder their ability to paint (MS or something to that effect).

That or they play Orks and want to maintain their sanity. In either case, this could be a good thing for the community. Even if it just inspires people to stop playing with unpainted grey models.

Edited by DuskRaider, 23 April 2019 - 10:48 PM.

• Mostwanted, Kite Senet and Aztek like this

Check out my Photobucket Here
 DuskRaider's 40K Nurgle: An Experiment in Flesh and Machine (House Makabius & Dark Mechanicum WIP currently)

In Service of the Death Lord: DuskRaider's Adeptus Titanicus Project

DuskRaider's 30K Word Bearers Force

DuskRaider's 3rd Grand Company Death Guard Legion Force

To view my older threads, please go to the link HERE and download the add-on to view Photobucket linked images.

toaae

toaae

++ SECURIFER VIRIDIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 1,623 posts
  • Faction: Orks, SoB, Necrons, BA

I'm sure this isn't a thread about what kind of painting is acceptable.

I really didn't come away from this with any real grasp on what to expect. I enjoyed it, as I found Peachy's faithful recreation of Lawrence Fishburne's lines to be a stellar homage, as opposed to trying to be silly or something. The humor came from the serious tone of the video compared to what it's about... whatever that may be.

Still, not sure what to guess at.

• Magos Takatus and Bryan Blaire like this

WAAAGH!!! Tortoof, a WiP thread (updated: 10/12/20) ||| Order of the Penitent Saint: A Project Thread (updated: 6/7/2020)
[IG 2020]Index Imperialis: Order of the Penitent Saint // IA: Dune Vipers (WiP; updated: 10/17/19, v.1) // [IG 2020]Index Xenos: WAAAGH!!! Tortoof (WiP; updated: 5/10/2020)
ETL_Medal_01.gifgallery_48988_15465_4633.pnggallery_48988_15738_35057.pngsml_gallery_48988_16308_9366.pnggallery_30308_9518_2576.jpggallery_48988_15094_8250.pnggallery_48988_15094_13707.png
(click on the images to see my vows!)

Brother Chaplain Kage

Brother Chaplain Kage

++ SACERDOS UMBRA ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,995 posts
  • Faction: VIII Legion - Crimson Sons
For a company so hot to jump on IP issues, I hope they got some kind of permission for these last two vids.
  • Doghouse, Arkhanist, zarkkarn and 1 other like this

dVIGLrG.pngFPVd6je.pngQiZFXmD.png

Hope is the first step to despair.

Check out my Instagram for other stuff I can't post here.

Marshal Loss

Marshal Loss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,779 posts
  • Faction: Emperor's Children

Chances are this won't impact my hobby at all, but hah - that was a great video.

rCsoqE7.png

Emperor's Children 22ᶮᵈ Millennial

Sons of Horus 29th Company

Gederas

Gederas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,422 posts

For a company so hot to jump on IP issues, I hope they got some kind of permission for these last two vids.

Iirc, parody is protected from copyright/IP issues via Fair Use laws (in the United States at least). Games Workshop, despite being a company, falls under the same thing. The videos are fair use because they're parodies, and legally, the copyright holders of 50 Shades/The Matrix, can't do anything about them.

A well-known example of parody not having issues with copyright: Weird Al Yankovic, legally, DOESN'T need permission from ANY musician or their record company to make parodies of their songs, he just gets permission from the artist (and only the artist, due to the Gangsta's Paradise=>Amish Paradise shenanigans with Coolio) to do so because he feels it's polite to do so.

In regards to the video:

Ehh.... I've really got nothing. It doesn't look like anything I'll be using, unless they just come out and say what it is, I'm not interested.

Edited by Gederas, 24 April 2019 - 01:46 AM.

Tyberos the Red Wake

Tyberos the Red Wake

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,810 posts
  • Faction: Carcharodon Astra

Duncan would never stand for a GW/citadel “dip” paint. It’s impossible to achieve 2 thin coats and would therefore invalidate his catch phrase.

I’m leaning air brush, but that seems like a more complicated tool then GW normally pushes.

Remember, two quick dips is always better than one long dunk.

• Slave to Darkness, Doctor Perils, Lord Marshal and 2 others like this

"Grey-clad, they came from the outer night to aid the Imperium, and their jagged maw did swallow the stars, and their black gaze did mirror the void of oblivion."

- The Canticle of Cassandria Lev - Vol.CVI [Circa M37]

Brokejaw Gutripper

Brokejaw Gutripper

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 654 posts
I’m thinking it’s got to be a line of shades that are layered over a white undercoat and have progressing contrast to them; rather than only running into recesses, it actually colors the model and still darkens in the low points. Perhaps each color has a light, medium, and dark tone for progressing stages of the model.

GW must have said “everybody loves washing and it’s easy to do and looks great, let’s expand that line”

I can’t believe they’d do a dip pot, and the little model they showed kind of rules out an airbrush to me for some reason.

I’m looking forward to the reveal for sure.

Slave to Darkness

Slave to Darkness

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,678 posts
  • Location:The Labyrinth, realm of limitless eternal pain and pleasure . AKA Kings Lynn, Norfolk.
  • Faction: Chaos, Wolves and Guard

Oooooh Matron
  • Magos Takatus, Burni and 01RTB01 like this

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the centre of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

gallery_29004_9303_22505.png

Blog - Gates of Helvete

''Avenge me Brother, AVENGE ME!!!'' *pffft* - Unknown Black Templar, cleansing of the Furry homeworld

MegaVolt87

MegaVolt87

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,654 posts
  • Faction: Iron Warriors

The man would be memed off the internets if that was to be another catch phrase. He would be better off saying one long dunk is better than two quick dips. msn-wink.gif

• Stoic Raptor, Slave to Darkness and Subtleknife like this
gallery_154982_15362_23624.jpg

My Iron Warriors Project   Guns for the guns god!, Bullets for the Brass throne!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users