Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Games Workshop - Contrast and Paint?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
652 replies to this topic

MegaVolt87

MegaVolt87

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,654 posts
  • Faction: Iron Warriors

Yeah if its a dip I don't see its value really. Its not difficult to use the current GW washes and shades already with a large brush if you are doing the whole thing anyway, plus you have better pooling control with a brush. Even for big stuff, its not hard to use weathering effects and pigments on tanks, Vallejo has great products to use. Buy a cheap Airfx tank and you can practice on that if you are super nervous about using such products.  

gallery_154982_15362_23624.jpg

My Iron Warriors Project   Guns for the guns god!, Bullets for the Brass throne!

Subtleknife

Subtleknife

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 789 posts
If it is a dip system where you can just go crazy from white it could be good for horde armies. I am interested to see what it will be.

Edited by Subtleknife, 24 April 2019 - 03:33 PM.

Jarl Caldersson

Jarl Caldersson

++ OCCISOR CANUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 2,946 posts
  • Faction: Allfathers Einherjar, DG

If it is a dip system where you can just go crazy from white it could be good for horse armies. I am interested to see what it will be.

Don't know how many horse armies there are in 40k . However I feel a bit misled as I think the first preview showed a bunch of knights and larger models, which I kind doubt you would dip.

Edited by Jarl Caldersson, 24 April 2019 - 06:03 AM.

• Brother Worsey and Spiritual Liege like this
Posted ImagePosted Image
If you want your army paint scheme made in Impcat just send me a message.

Arkhanist

Arkhanist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,251 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels, GSC, Death Guard

Dip is a little bit of a misnomer; yes, you can dunk the model in and then shake it, but it does make a hell of a mess. You can apply it from the tin with a brush just as easily without splattering it everywhere and it gives you more control on pooling to boot.

It's not much different than using an oil filter, such as on larger vehicles like tanks, it's just thicker so settles into the crevices better yet still very liquid. Like any wash, it doesn't work so well on vibrant colours on flat surfaces (e.g. space marines), but it works really well on cloth, fur, skin and other organic surfaces - a better effect than you can get with acrylic washes IMO as the gradient from shade to light is superior and has a significantly longer working time, though given it spreads you can't really target it so easily to a specific area. Just like oil washes, you can thin it, and remove it after drying with mineral spirits. With acrylic washes, it's standard to repaint a layer of the base coat to overcome the ugly staining and tide marks; with oil washes or quickshade you don't need to, you can proceed straight to highlighting, and is perfect for a dingier effect.

I'm on a blackstone fortress tear at the moment; I've just done some ur-ghuls with glazes over zenithal white, airbrushed metallic gradients on spindle drones - and for the beastmen, they're going to get a layer of quickshade instead of acrylic washes, followed by the usual highlights. I've previously done zombies with it, and they came out fantastic.

Like drybrushing, quickshade can help novices to up their standard quickly but can be overused, it's useful for everyone in specific circumstances, and can produce amazing effects in the hands of a master.

Hmm. oil washes/filters are superior to acrylic in general in effect - there's a reason they're so popular in historical modelling for weathering - but I can't stand working with mineral spirits regularly due to the smell and disposal. I've heard of water-soluble oils that act like - and are - oils, but can be diluted and cleaned with water. If GW is going to come out with a range of oil washes that are ready-to-use and water miscible, that would definitely grab my attention.

• mithrilforge and Antarius like this

gallery_53969_15812_3395.gif gallery_62972_14467_3819.jpg gallery_48988_15465_4294.png gallery_48988_15094_4883.png

Slasher956

Slasher956

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,743 posts
  • Faction: OoOML, Ulthwé

... they are bringing back the inks to go along side the washes

:P

• Ullanor Wolf likes this

Dyspraxic & Dyslexic  - So I might not write/explain what I think I have as clearly as intended to.... 

I'm confussed... what side of the fence am I on???

happy.png

Panzer

Panzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,076 posts
  • Faction: Order of Baal, Dal'yth Sept

While it's easy to criticize people for taking the "easy way" with dipping... and I fully believe that anyone can learn to paint well if they take the time to... I think this is good for folks who either don't have the time or have some sort of disability which would otherwise hinder their ability to paint (MS or something to that effect).

That or they play Orks and want to maintain their sanity. In either case, this could be a good thing for the community. Even if it just inspires people to stop playing with unpainted grey models.

It's not about people taking the "easy way". I just found the dipping pots to be horrible and I'm glad they are gone. Too many armies got ruined by those. ^^

For a company so hot to jump on IP issues, I hope they got some kind of permission for these last two vids.

Parodies are perfectly fine.

tongue.png

Now that would confuse me since I use the washes exactly the same way I used to use inks back then and thought they are the same thing just under a different name. :D

• Stoic Raptor likes this

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpggallery_62972_10568_4118.jpg

sarabando

sarabando

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,583 posts

tongue.png

Now that would confuse me since I use the washes exactly the same way I used to use inks back then and thought they are the same thing just under a different name. biggrin.png

they really arnt :D the old inks were so strong you could do freehand with them and had to dilute them to use them over larger areas nothing like todays washes which as dirty water in comparison to the almighty flesh wash.

• Harleqvin likes this

DuskRaider

DuskRaider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,661 posts
  • Faction: Death Guard, 3rd Grand Company
Oh man, I miss my Flesh Wash. I still have Yellow and Dark Angels Green Ink and for the longest time I was being miserly with my last Flesh Wash pot but it eventually dried up :(
  • Stoic Raptor likes this

Check out my Photobucket Here
 DuskRaider's 40K Nurgle: An Experiment in Flesh and Machine (House Makabius & Dark Mechanicum WIP currently)

In Service of the Death Lord: DuskRaider's Adeptus Titanicus Project

DuskRaider's 30K Word Bearers Force

DuskRaider's 3rd Grand Company Death Guard Legion Force

To view my older threads, please go to the link HERE and download the add-on to view Photobucket linked images.

Panzer

Panzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,076 posts
  • Faction: Order of Baal, Dal'yth Sept

tongue.png

Now that would confuse me since I use the washes exactly the same way I used to use inks back then and thought they are the same thing just under a different name. biggrin.png

they really arnt biggrin.png the old inks were so strong you could do freehand with them and had to dilute them to use them over larger areas nothing like todays washes which as dirty water in comparison to the almighty flesh wash.

To be fair I only used what's today Agrax Earthshade for my skeletons so I might not have noticed how strong it actually is. :P

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpggallery_62972_10568_4118.jpg

MegaVolt87

MegaVolt87

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,654 posts
  • Faction: Iron Warriors

Those inks take me back. I remember the good old days of the chaos black undercoat, one layer of blood red, wash of red ink stright with shining gold on the trims/details on the khorne bezerkers I had for my old BL. Good times. Those inks were no joke, I actually miss them a lot. 

• Harleqvin likes this
gallery_154982_15362_23624.jpg

My Iron Warriors Project   Guns for the guns god!, Bullets for the Brass throne!

Magos Takatus

Magos Takatus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,312 posts

The only one of those old washes I actually miss is the armour wash, possibly the chestnut wash at a push. I found them too glossy to get any useful shading out of them. I've still got some of the older ones and I struggle to find uses for them. I suppose you could thin them and use them like glazes?

As long as it's more successful than those pigment pots they released a few years back... I never tried them but I heard they weren't at all useful.

• Stoic Raptor and Antarius like this

Formerly known as Flame Boy since about 1999. Time for a change! smile.png

My Adeptus Mechanicus Ploghttp://www.bolterand...og-torburnides/

My Ork Ploghttp://www.bolterand...oys-orky-horde/

https://www.instagra.../magos_takatus/

gallery_48988_15465_6059.png

sarabando

sarabando

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,583 posts

armour wash was amazing.

• Stoic Raptor and Jolemai like this

Halandaar

Halandaar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,884 posts
  • Faction: Pretty much all of them!

Flesh Wash was the king, although (somewhat related) I discovered a pot of the old Amethyst Purple in my parents' loft not so long back. It'd be nice to see some cool metallics like that again.

• Jolemai, Harleqvin and Robbienw like this

gallery_84244_11417_1545.gifgallery_84244_11417_3775.gifgallery_84244_11417_2850.gifgallery_84244_11417_880.gifgallery_84244_11417_1641.gifgallery_84244_11417_2552.gifgallery_84244_11417_215.png gallery_84244_11417_18892.jpggallery_84244_11417_30096.jpggallery_84244_11417_17741.pnggallery_84244_11417_22884.pnggallery_84244_16660_5008.jpg

CMDR_Welles

CMDR_Welles

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 458 posts
  • Faction: Death Guard
I just hope it isnt a line of pre-painted minis... That is where my mind wandered with the 50 Shelves of Grey video...

Xenith

Xenith

++ NETATOR FEROCIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 11,662 posts

The video makes me think of the dip pots ... please don't let it be that lol

This is my guess. GW Branded Quickshade/dip

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageXX

++ The Baalite Feast of Blades 2016; 2018 ++

Jackalwolf

Jackalwolf

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,665 posts
It's a multicoloured spray can bottle. One per each unit. Just spray it and all the miniature is perfectly painted.

Edit: I live in the UK and can confirm reports of Duncan sleeping under a bridge after having suffered a mental breakdown so this supports my theory.

Edited by Jackalwolf, 24 April 2019 - 12:24 PM.

• Stoic Raptor and Panzer like this

Lexington

Lexington

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,611 posts
  • Faction: Orks!
I don’t mind quickshade if people want to use it - not everyone is capable of pro-quality paint jobs, and there’s plenty out there who just want their models to look decent from across the table. Hope there’s something that differentiates this from the million other (and inevitably way cheaper) quickshades out there. Or, hell, maybe they can just re-release the old wash lines, I miss Thrakka Green to this day.

Hoping this is just part of a larger branching out of GW’s paint line, and maybe their hobby supplies altogether. There was a lot of chatter at Adepticon, apparently, about GW reaching out to various people in the painting and hobby community to see what they could do.

gallery_23421_16101_14266.png

Xenith

Xenith

++ NETATOR FEROCIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 11,662 posts

Hope there’s something that differentiates this from the million other (and inevitably way cheaper) quickshades out there

Accessibility. Ability to pick some up when you pop into a GW store? 

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageXX

HandsWithLegs

HandsWithLegs

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 287 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels

I wonder if this is some sort of dip primer or something? Some way to get models primed easily without having to mess with a rattle can or trying to put a smooth coat on with a brush

gallery_48988_15465_43209.pnggallery_48988_15465_10130.png

Stoic Raptor

Stoic Raptor

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,297 posts
  • Faction: Raptors, Space Wolves

Oh man, I miss my Flesh Wash. I still have Yellow and Dark Angels Green Ink and for the longest time I was being miserly with my last Flesh Wash pot but it eventually dried up sad.png

I miss the armor wash.  It wasn't just a black wash, it was kind of metallic too.  Secret Weapon makes one but I noticed it's kind of brown and oily rather than just black.

Death smiles at us all, but all a man can do is smile back.
Execute every act of thy life as though it were thy last.  - Marcus Aurelius

Halandaar

Halandaar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,884 posts

Seen a few "well dip is fine because not everybody is great at painting etc" type comments. In what sense is dip an improvement for those people vs an all-over coat of Agrax? Serious question.

gallery_84244_11417_1545.gifgallery_84244_11417_3775.gifgallery_84244_11417_2850.gifgallery_84244_11417_880.gifgallery_84244_11417_1641.gifgallery_84244_11417_2552.gifgallery_84244_11417_215.png gallery_84244_11417_18892.jpggallery_84244_11417_30096.jpggallery_84244_11417_17741.pnggallery_84244_11417_22884.pnggallery_84244_16660_5008.jpg

Luna707

Luna707

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 906 posts

Seen a few "well dip is fine because not everybody is great at painting etc" type comments. In what sense is dip an improvement for those people vs an all-over coat of Agrax? Serious question.

My guess is that it would be good for people with disabilities that may have a harder time holding a brush or using their hands to create the fine movements that painting requires 

gallery_84811_11476_9558.jpg

Check out my truescale marines!

http://www.bolterand...on-hands-blog/

Halandaar

Halandaar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,884 posts

My guess is that it would be good for people with disabilities that may have a harder time holding a brush or using their hands to create the fine movements that painting requires 

Okay, but surely getting a model to the point where it's "dippable" (i.e. base colours on all the appropriate parts) requires a lot more in the way of "fine movements" than an all-over wash does. You've already done the hard part, so it seems like the dip doesn't really save you much at that point.

Xenith

Xenith

++ NETATOR FEROCIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 11,662 posts

Okay, but surely getting a model to the point where it's "dippable" (i.e. base colours on all the appropriate parts) requires a lot more in the way of "fine movements" than an all-over wash does. You've already done the hard part, so it seems like the dip doesn't really save you much at that point.

Well, youre comparing dip-shading to basecoating, when you should be comparing recess/pin washing/shading to dip-hading.

I have fine motor control, but still smear agrax all over armour surfaces when recess shading. 

• Stoic Raptor and Arkhanist like this

Luna707

Luna707

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 906 posts

My thinking was that it was to improve a more rudimentary style of painting, like you spray paint a marine blue then dip in nuln or what have you. Not sure if that is the intention but I can see it being used that way by people who may need a little help

gallery_84811_11476_9558.jpg

Check out my truescale marines!

http://www.bolterand...on-hands-blog/

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)