Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Games Workshop - Contrast and Paint?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
652 replies to this topic

Nemesor Tyriks

Nemesor Tyriks

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,602 posts
Officially announced: preorder 6/8.

https://www.warhamme...omepage-post-1/
  • toaae, Nusquam, Shinespider and 1 other like this

Excessus

Excessus

++ APPORTO FERMENTUM ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 6,678 posts
  • Faction: Alpha Legion, Thousand Sons

Officially announced: preorder 8/6.

https://www.warhamme...omepage-post-1/

Fixed it for you msn-wink.gif

Edited by Excessus, 26 May 2019 - 05:41 PM.

• mithrilforge, Parweke, Nusquam and 5 others like this
"Deception IS the point. Any fool can calculate strength. That one has been doing it from the moment he saw us. Now, he has to calculate what he can't see. And fear what he doesn't know."

Alpha Legion Cell #379, Thousand Sons and other friends - The corruption of cell #379
The Serpent's Lair - Alpha Legion Forum
+++ DIU AD BELLI - Legion War! +++ (2017 ETL replacement)

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Wispy

Wispy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,328 posts
Was looking at migsula's Instagram and he has an incredible death guard thing going on with the paints.

Stoic Raptor

Stoic Raptor

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,297 posts
  • Faction: Raptors, Space Wolves

Using some close ups of this display at warhammer fest I see the following:

2nd shelf:

Talassar blue
Ultramarines blue
Leviadon blue
Aethermatic blue
Akhelian green
Terradon turquoise
Plaguebearer flesh
Militarum green
Creed camo

And the two primers are Wraithbone (marine on left of a pot) and Grey Seer (marine on right of a pot), also available in separate base coat pots, and Contrast medium for mixing.

Thank you!  This is exactly what I was hoping to confirm.  Now I can be sure I'll need Leviadon Blue for my Crimson Fists and Creed Camo for my Raptors (as I suspected).  I could use a better close up of both, though, to see if I prefer the look over Wraithbone or Grey Seer.

Death smiles at us all, but all a man can do is smile back.
Execute every act of thy life as though it were thy last.  - Marcus Aurelius

StraightSilver

StraightSilver

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 656 posts

Interesting video from Pete the Wargamer: https://youtu.be/9V7Imu5fxZI

The weathering effects look very interesting.

• Arkhanist and helterskelter like this

Dark Shepherd

Dark Shepherd

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,132 posts
Apparently UK GW stores arent getting any extra rack space for Contrast paints so some things are going to be webstore only

Reclusiarch Krieg

Reclusiarch Krieg

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,991 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars

Apparently UK GW stores arent getting any extra rack space for Contrast paints so some things are going to be webstore only

Maybe in GW stores, resellers can order these and apply their price cuts normally. It's not a Mail Order situation.

Evil Eye

Evil Eye

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,184 posts
  • Faction: Chaos and Tyranids.

Having watched Pete the Wargamer's video on experimenting with them, I'm really impressed.

The zenithal primed miniature looked really, really nice. I'd never believe it was painted in 30 minutes, and the overall finish was borderline professional in quality IMO- except without that obnoxiously over-airbrushed, rather artificial style you see in a lot of "professional" paintjobs. It's certainly leagues above regular "tabletop quality/battle ready".

What really, really got me excited though was the Ridgerunner he painted with the stuff. I can see them being useful as a quicker-drying, easier to use and far less bad smelling alternative to oil washes, and for weathering/panel-lining purposes I can see them being useful for everything from high-end painting to scale modelling. I'm sure the slow drying nature of oils means they have some inherent advantages over Contrast for certain purposes (blending etc) and I doubt that these new paints will ever replace them for a lot of people, but as a tool in the arsenal I think they're going to be really quite useful even for highly experienced painters.

So in summary, for real, as soon as these become available I'm gonna buy every single one. Well, in theory anyway, depends how much a complete set costs. biggrin.png But honestly my one problem with them is that I wish I could go back in time with a set of these, as they'd have made my Tyranid army practically paint itself (compared to the monstrously complex scheme I settled on with three stage highlighting on every single part of every single miniature...All those Gaunts...*sobs*).

My single, solitary concern with these is I hope they work well enough over primers that aren't Wraithbone or Grey Seer, simply because my hatred of rattle cans and copious amount of inhaled lacquer fumes affecting my sanity love of Mr. Hobby's alcohol based airbrush primers means I'm unlikely to use the "proper" primers any time soon. Though I will admit that GW sprays are some of the only ones I've ever had any luck with, and they're doing the primers in pots too, so assuming they play nice through an airbrush it might not be a massive problem anyway. I just hope they work better than Vallejo's """""primer"""""...

*Lovingly strokes bottle of organic solvent-flavoured liquid death masquerading as thinner*

• Stoic Raptor and Lemondish like this

ztbmByp.png

I come here to discuss and find out about Warhammer 40,000 with people of every ethnicity, sexuality, country and yes, as sickening as it is, even Eldar players.

"Guns don't kill people, people kill people, but monkeys do too, if they've got a gun." -Inquisitor Edmund Izzardos, on Jokaero.

(Formerly known as Squigsquasher)

Lemondish

Lemondish

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,544 posts
Rumours of pricing from Spikey bits:

The retail price for Contrast will be $7.80 USD, with their accompanying Grey Seer, and Wraithbone 12ml base color pots $4.55 each.

There will also be an add-on of around 15 new base paints to the existing line for use with the Contrast paints as well. These will also be $4.55 as well.

Those $4.55 pots in other world currencies:

CAD: $5.40
GBP: £2.75
EUR: 3,60€
AUD: $6.40

And the $7.80 ones around the world:

CAD: $9.40
GBP: £4.75
EUR: 6,30€
AUD: $11.50

TL;DR:

Contrast will cost the same as a pot of texture paint, while the two primer pots and a handful of new layer paints will be releasing at the same price as most other layer paints.

Lord Marshal

Lord Marshal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,830 posts
  • Faction: Imperial Guard

Contrast will cost the same as a pot of texture paint, 

That's going to be a Yikes from me.

gallery_30308_9518_1272.jpggallery_30308_9518_1551.pngsml_gallery_48988_16308_9366.png

appiah5

appiah5

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,160 posts

I have a simple question about this Contrast paint thing; I have watched the Contrast Paint tutorial where they paint an Ultramarine with Contrast paints.

And it looks like ASS.

It's a blotchy mess that looks worse than my 3 year old can achieve with normal paint.

Why the hell did they make a video like this?  If this paint is supposed to help achieve quick and decent results (and apparently it actually can) how the hell did they manage to make it look so BAD?

I mean look at this: https://citadelcolou...1/6038130494001

What?  Seriously?  I'm supposed to want to end up with figures that look like this?

• Stoic Raptor, Shinespider and D3L like this

"Death before dishonor, nothing before coffee!"

gallery_60983_8363_3386.jpg

My Blood Angels Oldmarines

My Imperial Fists Primaris

Arkhanist

Arkhanist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,251 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels, GSC, Death Guard

So ~£4 a pot from FIGS. Bit more than I'd hoped given they're between shade and base pot in size, so unless there's a discount 'entire range' box at launch, I'll just pick up 6 or so to start with. (for flesh, wood, leather, bone, black and aethermatic for plasma). Demos over airbrushed primer work fine for smoothness, so I'll probably just get the wraithbone base pot and some medium - I think ulthuan grey or italeri flat gull grey will sub in nicely for the light grey colour for zenithal purposes.

As an aside; one thing I do notice with the launch of Contrast is how much painting expectations for novices have advanced in the last 30 years compared to my first Blood Angels Orange drybrushed RTB01 beakies with goblin green bases. I might see if I can track down the box they're hiding in and redo a couple with Contrast just so I can do a side-by-side!

Edited by Arkhanist, 29 May 2019 - 07:26 AM.

• Antarius likes this

gallery_53969_15812_3395.gif gallery_62972_14467_3819.jpg gallery_48988_15465_4294.png gallery_48988_15094_4883.png

Halandaar

Halandaar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,025 posts
  • Faction: Pretty much all of them!

As somebody who doesn't really enjoy painting, but enjoys having painted armies, Contrast has the potential to make a pretty big difference to me and certainly open up some armies that I've not bothered with before because I couldn't face painting them.

Hopefully they'll have some available to try out at the UK Games Expo this weekend so I can see for myself how they work.

• Marshal Rohr, Canadian_F_H and Nemesor Tyriks like this

gallery_84244_11417_1545.gifgallery_84244_11417_3775.gifgallery_84244_11417_2850.gifgallery_84244_11417_880.gifgallery_84244_11417_1641.gifgallery_84244_11417_2552.gifgallery_84244_11417_215.png gallery_84244_11417_18892.jpggallery_84244_11417_30096.jpggallery_84244_11417_17741.pnggallery_84244_11417_22884.pnggallery_84244_16660_5008.jpggallery_84244_11417_13552.png

Captain Smashy Pants

Captain Smashy Pants

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,251 posts

So ~£4 a pot from FIGS. Bit more than I'd hoped given they're between shade and base pot in size, so unless there's a discount 'entire range' box at launch, I'll just pick up 6 or so to start with. (for flesh, wood, leather, bone, black and aethermatic for plasma). Demos over airbrushed primer work fine for smoothness, so I'll probably just get the wraithbone base pot and some medium - I think ulthuan grey or italeri flat gull grey will sub in nicely for the light grey colour for zenithal purposes.

As an aside; one thing I do notice with the launch of Contrast is how much painting expectations for novices have advanced in the last 30 years compared to my first Blood Angels Orange drybrushed RTB01 beakies with goblin green bases. I might see if I can track down the box they're hiding in and redo a couple with Contrast just so I can do a side-by-side!

I think that is due to the amount of information available to novice painters. Not only do we have YouTybe and pictorial guides on the internet, a lot of which is officially produced by GW, but there are in print painting guides that are four times? as thick as 2nd end codexes. Also we are spoiled when it comes to paint and painting supplies. Worth noting also that the expectations placed on novice painters is self imposed to a very large extent.
gallery_62972_14467_3390.jpggallery_62972_14467_13489.jpggallery_62972_14467_3390.jpg

I do find it hilarious that some people were saying the size of newer marine stuff looks great next to regular humans like Cadians, and then GW upsized the humans so they are the same height as marines again :lol: :lol: :lol:

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,707 posts
  • Faction: 7th Terran Regiment

As somebody who doesn't really enjoy painting, but enjoys having painted armies, Contrast has the potential to make a pretty big difference to me and certainly open up some armies that I've not bothered with before because I couldn't face painting them.

Hopefully they'll have some available to try out at the UK Games Expo this weekend so I can see for myself how they work.

For the first time in my life I’m wondering if I could handle orks and Tyranid.
  • Interrogator-Chaplain Ezra, _Valten_, Shinespider and 2 others like this

Your opinion is important, and someone posting here probably does care what you think. You should go tell them. Remember that it really hurts to come up with an idea you care about and have no one else care. Go care about something and tell them what you think. Now. Think of what it would have meant to you when you were young.

+++The Iterators Guild+++

A Group for Lore Minded Hobbyists and World Building Projects

DanPesci

DanPesci

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,222 posts
  • Faction: Adeptus Mechanicus

For the first time in my life I’m wondering if I could handle orks and Tyranid.

This was my thinking. Always wanted a nids horde army but never wanted to paint it. Looking like this is now much more of a possibility at some point.

• Marshal Rohr and NTaW like this
Posted Image

30Geek - Freelance web development & Digital Design

DVNE - Post-Metal straight out of the eye of terror.

Shinespider

Shinespider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,064 posts

There's another video up as of yesterday focusing on metallics. 

https://www.youtube....h?v=i1zSQdAnqoM

Some neat results.

• Azaiel, mithrilforge, Stoic Raptor and 2 others like this

Call_of_Chaos_11_Banner_02.jpg

DeadFingers

DeadFingers

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,446 posts

Some neat results.

The Snakebite Leather over Leadbelcher is fantastic as a base for bronze.

Ishagu

Ishagu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,615 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines
It's becoming clear that in the hands of the experienced painter the Contrast paints are another tool in the tool-chest which is great.

I still also think that in the hands of someone who has no painting ability or experience, or cares little for the paint quality of his/her army, this will create better results than the lowest quality paint jobs out there.
  • Stoic Raptor likes this

-~Ishagu~-

Azaiel

Azaiel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 431 posts
  • Faction: Deathwatch, Orks

Some neat results.

Aaaand my Alpha Legion color is set. biggrin.png

• Stoic Raptor and Shinespider like this

gallery_48988_15738_17267.pngsml_gallery_48988_15094_13427.png

Stoic Raptor

Stoic Raptor

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,297 posts

I have a simple question about this Contrast paint thing; I have watched the Contrast Paint tutorial where they paint an Ultramarine with Contrast paints.

And it looks like ASS.

It's a blotchy mess that looks worse than my 3 year old can achieve with normal paint.

Why the hell did they make a video like this?  If this paint is supposed to help achieve quick and decent results (and apparently it actually can) how the hell did they manage to make it look so BAD?

What?  Seriously?  I'm supposed to want to end up with figures that look like this?

I totally agree.  I think they focused so much on how "quickly" they could do it that they forgot that the result is what's going to really convince people.

I could half-ass an Ultramarine just as well, just as quickly, with regular paints.

I don't think it reflects upon the product itself, but the quality of the video is well below the expectations GW has set.

• D3L likes this

Mr4Minutes

Mr4Minutes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 671 posts
My speculation on the GW models and videos not being perfect:

by showing straight from the pot to the model there can be no misleading of customers or confusion to what you’ll get. It sets a good standard for what new customers and those of us who don’t paint as often can achieve with a minimal time investment.

Same with the completed models. Here’s what the results will be if you one thick coat it. If they used layering and edge highlights on the display models it would be very misleading to customers.

Now that we’re getting videos from higher end painters I think we’re truly getting the complete picture for contrast. With a quick one coat method you’ll get table top standard models. Take some time and work in additional techniques and you’ll get a higher standard model.

I’m really liking what we’ve seen so far. Pricing isn’t really a surprise, and means it’ll be probably a buy as you use rather then buy the whole set for me.

It’s really making me want to pull the trigger on starting a khorne daemons army.... maybe after ETL gets me through my DeathWatch.
  • Antarius likes this

Lemondish

Lemondish

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,544 posts

Some neat results.

I really like that deep metallic black. I think I'll try that out on a couple upcoming Kill Team Deathwatch figures I kitbashed.

Stoic Raptor

Stoic Raptor

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,297 posts

by showing straight from the pot to the model there can be no misleading of customers or confusion to what you’ll get. It sets a good standard for what new customers and those of us who don’t paint as often can achieve with a minimal time investment.

Same with the completed models. Here’s what the results will be if you one thick coat it. If they used layering and edge highlights on the display models it would be very misleading to customers.

I'm not saying they should have done anything else, but the guy applied the most uneven, sloppy coat and it's not a good way to sell a product.  He could have just as easily taken a little more care in applying it and shown the impressive results that can be had with a little bit of patience.

Reclusiarch Krieg

Reclusiarch Krieg

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,991 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars

I'm not saying they should have done anything else, but the guy applied the most uneven, sloppy coat and it's not a good way to sell a product.  He could have just as easily taken a little more care in applying it and shown the impressive results that can be had with a little bit of patience.

OTOH, it says outright that even if you half-ass it or have two left hands, you can still get your models PAINTED. And that's huge.

• Gederas likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users