Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Games Workshop - Contrast and Paint?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
652 replies to this topic

GreaterChickenofTzeentch

GreaterChickenofTzeentch

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,245 posts

I think it's an airbrush contract, but I'd really appreciate some paint markers in GW's colors. Would save me time and frustration when highlighting. Wouldn't mind a way to speedily wash a model either. I basically can't pin wash because of issues I have that interfere with fine motor control and basically have to flood the model and do some re-paints on larger sections. One of the many reasons I like playing Chaos.....grimy-looking models usually aren't out of place. :)

DuskRaider

DuskRaider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,661 posts
  • Faction: Death Guard, 3rd Grand Company

They've made their own "airbrush" before and it was good awful garbage. It looked like a Hand Flamer. Horrible.

Rumor is, it's a contract with badger air brushes

That would be much better than the last attempt.

Check out my Photobucket Here
 DuskRaider's 40K Nurgle: An Experiment in Flesh and Machine (House Makabius & Dark Mechanicum WIP currently)

In Service of the Death Lord: DuskRaider's Adeptus Titanicus Project

DuskRaider's 30K Word Bearers Force

DuskRaider's 3rd Grand Company Death Guard Legion Force

To view my older threads, please go to the link HERE and download the add-on to view Photobucket linked images.

mithrilforge

mithrilforge

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,238 posts
  • Faction: 40k - xenos & ad-mech

Looking at the pic a few posts up of Peachy errr Morpheus offering the models it shows a finished model done in base colours and the base too...

it may well be a GW Dip but as Arkhanist is suggesting one unlike army painters but more user friendly (and younger adult friendly) 

i do realise they have washes...but this could be the next step in that Evolution unsure.png

As stated, the Hype train they have created is a huge one...lets hope the destination is as good as the ride there!?! sweat.gif

Mithril

gallery_70393_10089_1851.png gallery_48988_6285_17537.pnggallery_6494_6331_8260.pnggallery_48988_15465_40221.png  gallery_48988_15465_18945.png

MajorNese-  In the grim darkness of the near future, there is only complaints. biggrin.png

Captain Smashy Pants

Captain Smashy Pants

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,252 posts
I've racked my brain and then some, and I can't think of anything that hasent been mentioned. I really hope its not prepainted models, if it is I hope the offer their kits to assemble and paint, business as usual, as well, as all I can think about when I think prepainted minis is stuff like those horrible Hero Clix models. Yuk.
gallery_62972_14467_3390.jpggallery_62972_14467_13489.jpggallery_62972_14467_3390.jpg

I do find it hilarious that some people were saying the size of newer marine stuff looks great next to regular humans like Cadians, and then GW upsized the humans so they are the same height as marines again :lol: :lol: :lol:

DuskRaider

DuskRaider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,661 posts
I HIGHLY doubt it's pre-painted models. I'm sure they recall that's what killed Rackham.

DuskRaider's 40K Nurgle: An Experiment in Flesh and Machine (House Makabius & Dark Mechanicum WIP currently)

To view my older threads, please go to the link HERE and download the add-on to view Photobucket linked images.

Antarius

Antarius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 986 posts
Hmm. The name is what throws me off balance, here. I mean, an airbrush (contract) would be obvious since they already do airbrush paint and airbrushing has really become a thing over the last decade or so.
Otoh, it doesn't really seem to fit with the name.

Dip of some sort is a distinct possibility, but if so, I really hope they've done something good/unique with the formula, because, let's face it, even if dipping is superficially easy it's really hard to get good results. I don't doubt its uses and certainly don't consider it "cheating" or any such nonsense, but as a "dunk your whole model and then you're done"- kinda tool, I honestly haven't seen anybody outside of the internet get better results than with an all-over wash, and the toxicity and clean-up work would probably put a lot of people off. Especially newer customers (whether because of age or inexperience), who would paradoxically also seem to be the main customer group for such a product.

If they managed a non-toxic dip, I'd certainly try it out. Mostly out of curiosity but it might be great for some models and it might be a good tool in the box. Just to be perfectly clear, I'm not putting anyone's preferred style down and there's no doubt that spirit/oil-based stuff can do great things, but I just can't stand working with it :/

"The Bolter is the truth. It is the gift given to us by the Emperor for our valour. With it we are whole. Without it we are diminished." - Book of Aphael, verse 42.

Xenith

Xenith

++ NETATOR FEROCIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 12,008 posts

They've made their own "airbrush" before and it was good awful garbage. It looked like a Hand Flamer. Horrible.

It was never called an air brush or marketed as such. It was a 'spray gun' designed to enable the rapid base coating of models using colours they didn't already make sprays for. 

Naturally if you judge something by its ability to do something it wasn't designed for, you'll think it's garbage. I think most actual airbrushes at the spray gun price point £18?) would also be garbage. 

Edited by Xenith, 26 April 2019 - 06:51 AM.

• Dosjetka, Halandaar and Panzer like this

gallery_58096_11725_17801.pnggallery_58096_14832_1433.gifgallery_58096_14832_1808.gifgallery_58096_11725_17950.pnggallery_29004_9303_844.pngfriday-award.pnggallery_58096_13272_607.pngXX\

Halandaar

Halandaar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,053 posts
  • Faction: Pretty much all of them!

It wasn't an actual airbrush though, and they never described it that way. It was a "spray gun" that ran on canned propellant.

Anyway, there's no way GW are going to be making their own airbrush, it'd be a licensed/branded version of somebody elses' gear that you can "conveniently" buy in a one-click bundle from the GW webstore.

I hope it is an airbrush to be honest, if only because then we'll see some airbrush tutorial videos on Warhammer TV.

Edited by Halandaar, 26 April 2019 - 07:23 AM.

gallery_84244_11417_1545.gifgallery_84244_11417_3775.gifgallery_84244_11417_2850.gifgallery_84244_11417_880.gifgallery_84244_11417_1641.gifgallery_84244_11417_2552.gifgallery_84244_11417_215.png gallery_84244_11417_18892.jpggallery_84244_11417_30096.jpggallery_84244_11417_17741.pnggallery_84244_11417_22884.pnggallery_84244_16660_5008.jpggallery_84244_11417_13552.png

Arkhanist

Arkhanist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,251 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels, GSC, Death Guard

These guys are literally straight off the painting bench, thought I'd show you what I'm talking about with clay washes - been trying out some speed painting techniques, so please forgive that I've tried not to obsess over the detail on these.

HIVG7ve.jpg

There's a bit of nuln oil gloss round the leg joins; apart from that, there's no other acrylic wash on these. The top half is an airbrush gradient with a bit of drybrushing based around cobalt alchemy, a blueish metallic. The contrast is all done with flory models 'dark dirt' clay wash, then rubbed off the highlights with a damp cotton bud. I wanted to leave them a little old and weathered, so I didn't remove as much as I might have for a cleaner pin-wash. The gravel on the floor is straight luke aps 'city rubble', a light grey sand/stone mix glued on, then soaked in spots of flory 'black' wash, with some spots of 'grime' - then a damp brush used to 'drybrush' the sand to bring back highlights.

• RolandTHTG, Hollenweger and Petitioner's City like this

gallery_53969_15812_3395.gif gallery_62972_14467_3819.jpg gallery_48988_15465_4294.png gallery_48988_15094_4883.png

Burni

Burni

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,268 posts
I think it’s some big changes to the paint range (remember that hint of the sons of Horus FW paint coming back) with some kind of dip system alongside it.

An airbrush with compressor just isn’t something the vast majority of GW customers would buy imho. Not like you can pull out a project box on your dining room table and paint something quickly for your school club. Not mass market enough. They for the same people that know what weathering powder is for.

Plus nothing about an airbrush says contrast.

Halandaar

Halandaar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,053 posts
  • Faction: Pretty much all of them!

An airbrush with compressor just isn’t something the vast majority of GW customers would buy imho. 

Neither is a £200 plastic 6x4 Realm of Battle Board to be fair. Not every product in the range is for everybody.

• Petitioner's City and Sarges like this

gallery_84244_11417_1545.gifgallery_84244_11417_3775.gifgallery_84244_11417_2850.gifgallery_84244_11417_880.gifgallery_84244_11417_1641.gifgallery_84244_11417_2552.gifgallery_84244_11417_215.png gallery_84244_11417_18892.jpggallery_84244_11417_30096.jpggallery_84244_11417_17741.pnggallery_84244_11417_22884.pnggallery_84244_16660_5008.jpggallery_84244_11417_13552.png

DuskRaider

DuskRaider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,661 posts

It was never called an air brush or marketed as such. It was a 'spray gun' designed to enable the rapid base coating of models using colours they didn't already make sprays for.

Naturally if you judge something by its ability to do something it wasn't designed for, you'll think it's garbage. I think most actual airbrushes at the spray gun price point £18?) would also be garbage.

Yeah, that's cool. Except it didn't even do that right. There were numerous issues with the plastic cracking on the device. It was junk, stop trying to defend junk.

Cyrox

Cyrox

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,128 posts

Definitely think theres some weight to the clay wash style product, either that or some sort of basic dip range

Whatever it is, it will be designed to speed up painting, not just add contrast, which is what makes me think its not an airbrush.

I have almost as much grey plastic as the dude in the Fifty shades video, so i'm looking forward to seeing what it is

"I remember when Ragnar Blackmane had blond hair and this was aaaallll fields....."

gallery_60566_6038_4617.gif tn_gallery_60566_6038_42067.jpg gallery_60566_6038_1993.gif

DutyBeforeAll

DutyBeforeAll

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 116 posts

If they do an airbrush hopefully they’ll do an entire airbrush ready paint range.

They...already have that.

After some checking.
😳

Well, never having an airbrush seems to have put me behind on somethings.

Brother Crimson

Brother Crimson

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 403 posts
Heard there will be a paint app update with different levels for each models like tabletop, normal, master.

It would be a nice update but I hope all this viral videos was for more than that.

Cyrox

Cyrox

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,128 posts

Heard there will be a paint app update with different levels for each models like tabletop, normal, master.

It would be a nice update but I hope all this viral videos was for more than that.

Yeah i'm with you on that, the app definitely needs more options so it will be nice if it ties in with whatever this is

"I remember when Ragnar Blackmane had blond hair and this was aaaallll fields....."

gallery_60566_6038_4617.gif tn_gallery_60566_6038_42067.jpg gallery_60566_6038_1993.gif

PeteySödes

PeteySödes

++ FERRARII CONQUISITOR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,378 posts
Is be curious what a airbrush contract looked like. I know for a fact Ken doesn’t think to much of the citadel line from a pigment that works with an airbrush perspective. Especially the “air” range.

Magos Takatus

Magos Takatus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,385 posts

If they do an airbrush hopefully they’ll do an entire airbrush ready paint range.

They...already have that.

They have a half-baked airbrush range at best. I could do with a Rakarth Flesh air paint but there's no sign of that yet. So far the air range are just a partial range trial. Some of the base range go lumpy so having thinned versions of those would be really convenient.

• PJ1933 likes this

Formerly known as Flame Boy since about 1999. Time for a change! smile.png

My Adeptus Mechanicus Ploghttp://www.bolterand...og-torburnides/

My Ork Ploghttp://www.bolterand...oys-orky-horde/

https://www.instagra.../magos_takatus/

gallery_48988_15465_6059.png

Midnight Brotherhood

Midnight Brotherhood

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 147 posts
  • Faction: Night Lords

I’m fairly sure its a GW airbrush. The latest White Dwarf has painting guides with airbrush stages which I’m sure is new..

This is what everyone is overlooking the most, official GW painting guides won't promote something that the customer doesn't have access to or can't buy directly from GW.

They already have an air range, it makes sense to flesh that range out with their own citadel branded airbrush. The only doubt that sticks in my mind is that airbrushing requires a proper setup - a compressor, extractor fan for the fumes etc etc. So unless they're going to make Citadel branded compressor and extractor fan too?

Contracting out to badger would make sense. It's well know that their paint supplier is HMG and that their brush range are Winsor and Newton Grade B brushes that they get at a discount from W&N, rebrand them and sell them on. A third party supplier airbrush follows the same idea.

Alternatively ink/oil washes might be what they do because of the contrast comment. They did it before when I was kid playing warhammer so I see no reason why not to bring it back (fond memeories of chestnut ink staining my fingers).

Does army painter quickshade dry matt or glossy?

Nostraman_zpsf4be09e4.png

Arkhanist

Arkhanist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,251 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels, GSC, Death Guard

Does army painter quickshade dry matt or glossy?

Very gloss (you're supposed to matt varnish afterwards) Rather like the finish of the old pre-hex pot inks!

I can definitely see GW flogging a rebranded airbrush and a cheap no-tank rebranded compressor with branded cleaner all at a big markup, no question, for all the reasons you say. It just doesn't fit with the latest video with the big 'contrast' logo for me.

The other thing is that they said on the 50 shelves of grey post; "Is this a situation familiar to you? We know that while grey plastic has its charms, the dreaded backlog can feel a bit intimidating at times. Well, worry not – soon, we’ll be adding something huge to our paint range that’s going to make painting your models even simpler. Stay tuned for more teases soon…"

Is an airbrush really simpler? Awesome yes, but it was definitely a fairly steep learning curve for me.

That said - the Contrast post said "Something big is coming for paint – something we’ve been hinting at for a while now. At this stage, we can reveal that Warhammer Fest will be your first opportunity to get hands-on experience with this awesome something-ness – and trust us, this is something you’re going to want to check out in-person. "

The only paint stuff that I can think of they've been hinting at is the re-release of the forgeworld one (sons of horus? Can't remember) and the WD airbrush stuff. So that points back to an airbrush because I certainly don't recall any hints about a new wash line or paint pens. But do you really have to check out a rebranded airbrush in person? They're not exactly super-rare any more. Which points back to something rather more radical (for GW)

Maybe I'm just hoping it's not an airbrush because I already have two perfectly nice ones, and GW air paint can censored.gif off until they discover dropper bottles.

Edited by Arkhanist, 26 April 2019 - 04:02 PM.

gallery_53969_15812_3395.gif gallery_62972_14467_3819.jpg gallery_48988_15465_4294.png gallery_48988_15094_4883.png

Cyrox

Cyrox

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,128 posts

Unless its some sort innovative design, i just can't see GW releasing an airbrush for the likes of Little Timmy who will need the kit, compressor, new paints etc. it will be a big outlay that not all people can afford. 

Then again, when it comes to paint and tools, its never cheap so who knows.

Personally i hope for some kind of easy mode dip range

Ranulf

Ranulf

++ EQUESTER CANEO ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,040 posts
  • Faction: Vlka Fenryka, House Orlock

Pre-shaded miniatures anyone?

-Ran

ZIbfbQY.jpg L_T_4_2019_Medal.gif

Cyrox

Cyrox

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,128 posts

-Ran

How good would that be?! All those stockpiles of black citadel ink can be used as a mould release agent and pre-shade the sprues during manufacture laugh.png

On a serous note though, does injection moulding actually need a release agent?

Techmarine Harkus

Techmarine Harkus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 752 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines

-Ran

How good would that be?! All those stockpiles of black citadel ink can be used as a mould release agent and pre-shade the sprues during manufacture laugh.png

On a serous note though, does injection moulding actually need a release agent?

For plastic injection moulding, no. I don't know about other materials. The machines have pins in them extend after casting to eject the plastic part - you can often see the marks they leave on the sprue, though less so with GW plastics. On cheap plastic parts you'll usually see the ejection tool marks on the inside face of the parts.

• Cyrox and Arkhanist like this

gallery_45765_12606_30319.png

In an hour of Darkness a blind man is the best guide. In an age of insanity look to the madman to show the way.

Enuncia

Enuncia

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 30 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars

Whatever it is, if it gets people to make the first step and put color on their models, I am all for it.  Airbrush, markers, dip, etc. either way,  I am excited.

• Stoic Raptor, Antarius and Aztek like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users