Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Games Workshop - Contrast and Paint?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
652 replies to this topic

TheOneTrueZon

TheOneTrueZon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 958 posts
  • Faction: Silent Sword Crusade

The information I have is that it's going to be a one coat paint, so strange and bizarre. 

Oh god, like the model car laquer?

It was described as you paint a section of Armour, apparently it dries and shades the recesses, whilst the raised section dry lighter. 

This sounds odd and strange to me, is that even possible to do with paint?

The technology is there, the basic principle of the "colorshift" paints that are making the rounds these days is that the pigments react to different wavelengths of light and the angle at which the light hits. Some forms of high end car paint can do the same kind of thing in that the illusion of depth is given in a "matte/gloss" contrast that tricks the eye into thinking there's depth.

Seems like a lot of ramp-up for what sounds like a technical paint, and not a kind of panacea for speed painting. 

• N1SB likes this

"My blood is the same colour as yours. And what I do, I do to protect Earth, same as you. You don't like how I do it, that's your prerogative. But there are things going on out there that you know nothing about. Threats to the human race that no one never hears about, because we stopped them. There are dangers all around us. And whether you like us or not, we may be all that stands between you and the abyss."
- Bester, Babylon 5

http://www.bolterand...-sword-crusade/

http://www.bolterand...age-of-silvana/

http://www.bolterand...primal-marines/

gallery_48988_15094_4739.pnggallery_48988_15094_6220.pnggallery_48988_15094_6389.pngO787td6.jpg 

The Blood Raven

The Blood Raven

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,204 posts
  • Faction: Cosmic Chorus

The information I have is that it's going to be a one coat paint, so strange and bizarre.

It was described as you paint a section of Armour, apparently it dries and shades the recesses, whilst the raised section dry lighter.

You can largely get a similar effect with thinned down paint and a bit of flow improver. Or at least I can based on this description.

I was hoping for something with the color of the old inks and the flow of a wash so one could apply this to a zenith prime coat in one go.

I’m looking forward to new options.

Doghouse

Doghouse

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,049 posts

That does sound odd but extremely plausible. I like the idea of it being self painting miniatures and with that and Agrax Earthshade and there won't be any excuses for not using a painted army anymore.

I could see that being popular amongst tournament players.

Truescale MKIII Tutorial

Arkhanist

Arkhanist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,251 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels, GSC, Death Guard

I feel like the announcement is going to be a total swerve that has nothing to do with any of what's been suggested.

Like they're going to double-down on the colored plastics that they've been using in the boxed sets recently, so every model will now come pre-colored in a :cussty, muted version of their dominant sub-faction's scheme. 

It's not going to be coloured plastics or pre-painted minis; GW have been saying on social media that it's something new to help your backlog.

I can't find the specific quote again, but there is this one: "Your 'to paint' pile won't know what hit it."

Maybe it's literal crack so we'll paint our plastic faster.

• Shadow Captain Vyper, Bryan Blaire, Shinespider and 7 others like this

gallery_53969_15812_3395.gif gallery_62972_14467_3819.jpg gallery_48988_15465_4294.png gallery_48988_15094_4883.png

Doghouse

Doghouse

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,049 posts

If it is they will have to introduce dope tests for the Golden Demons next year.

• Bryan Blaire, Loquille and TheOneTrueZon like this

Truescale MKIII Tutorial

Rik Lightstar

Rik Lightstar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,325 posts
  • Faction: Astral Claws, Mantis Warriors
I've sussed it, it's a hairdryer to speed up all the drying times, that way you get finished faster.

Rik
  • Doghouse, N1SB and Chapter Master Valrak like this

The Codex Astartes: Taking Away The Freedom Of The Astartes To Pigeonhole Themselves, 
And Restricting Them To Supreme Flexibility Since M31

Stoic Raptor

Stoic Raptor

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,297 posts
  • Faction: Raptors, Space Wolves

I can't find the specific quote again, but there is this one: "Your 'to paint' pile won't know what hit it."

Probably because you'll wind up spending so much on the stuff, you'll have to sell all your unpainted minis to fund it. yes.gif

And to avoid driving us off topic:

Vyper, suffice to say I share your opinion.  But that last name starts with a "D", not a "B" teehee.gif

Edited by Stoic Raptor, 02 May 2019 - 09:41 PM.

• Doctor Perils likes this
Death smiles at us all, but all a man can do is smile back.
Execute every act of thy life as though it were thy last.  - Marcus Aurelius

Triszin

Triszin

++ INTERFECTOR ROBUSTUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 7,040 posts
When's the event?
banana

Bryan Blaire

Bryan Blaire

++ EXPLORATOR BIOLOGIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,976 posts
  • Faction: Imperium, Chaos, Xenos
Warhammer Fest, where they said there would be a "hands on" with the "Contrast" product, isn't until May 11th - I had my timing and reveals confused.
My DA Successor Chapter DIY - Stoneburners: Index Astartes Stoneburners; Images: Stoneburners WiP - DA Forum
Completed Squads: Stoneburners - Hall of Honor Forum
Drakeslayers, Bellicose Monster Hunters of the Fang: Drakeslayers - Space Wolves Forum
Other Material Here (Angels on both sides of the Long War): PCA WiP Forum
gallery_59244_7045_11084.jpggallery_59244_7045_3768.jpggallery_59244_7045_10256.jpg

RipOffProductions

RipOffProductions

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 619 posts

hmm, some sort of base paint that dries differently depending on how thick it is/how light hits it to act as a one step base-shade-highlight thing could be interesting...

though I wonder how well its colors will blend in next to a traditionally shaded and highlighted model, otherwise folks who already have some of their army painted will need to repaint those models(which for those of us who love painting in subassemblies is impossible to redo on our now finished stuff), or just give this system a pass, thus defeating the whole point of its existence.

Master Commander Ajax

Master Commander Ajax

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 677 posts
  • Faction: Black Castellans
I wish they’d release more rattle can versions of base paints. That would be a huge boon to clearing my backlog of unpainted minis. I was initially hopeful that that was what this release was going to be but am almost certain now that it’s not going to be that.
  • mithrilforge, 01RTB01 and Tichinde like this

They shall be my finest warriors, these men who give of themselves to me. Like clay I shall mould them, and in the furnace of war forge them. They will be of iron will and steely muscle. In great armour shall I clad them and with the mightiest guns will they be armed. They will be untouched by plague or disease, no sickness will blight them. They will have tactics, strategies and machines so that no foe can best them in battle. They are my bulwark against the Terror. They are the Defenders of Humanity. They are my Space Marines and they shall know no fear.

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,791 posts
  • Faction: 7th Terran Regiment

I wish they’d release more rattle can versions of base paints. That would be a huge boon to clearing my backlog of unpainted minis. I was initially hopeful that that was what this release was going to be but am almost certain now that it’s not going to be that.

The first lesson I learned the hard way in this hobby way GW rattle cans are the devil. I recently got some for Titanicus, figuring I’d try them out and they work beautifully. I still use auto primer to base coat in black and white because it’s the only type I’ve found that comes up clean in a simple green bath

Your opinion is important, and someone posting here probably does care what you think. You should go tell them. Remember that it really hurts to come up with an idea you care about and have no one else care. Go care about something and tell them what you think. Now. Think of what it would have meant to you when you were young.

+++The Iterators Guild+++

A Group for Lore Minded Hobbyists and World Building Projects

Xenith

Xenith

++ NETATOR FEROCIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 12,204 posts

My gods, I need that for my nids!

Razic

Razic

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 181 posts
commission painting service ? anyone mention that ?

Lemondish

Lemondish

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,563 posts

I hope it is an airbrush to be honest, if only because then we'll see some airbrush tutorial videos on Warhammer TV.

Why would you need to wait for airbrush tutorials to show up there? There's thousands of them on youtube. Maybe even tens of thousands. 

There's a lot to be said about the breadth of content out there, but I personally prefer formats that aren't 4 and a half hours long streams with half the time spent plugging patreon. 

coldfyre

coldfyre

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 547 posts
Dont forget to like and subscribe and hit the notification button so you always know when i post new content
  • Slave to Darkness likes this

Lemondish

Lemondish

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,563 posts

Dont forget to like and subscribe and hit the notification button so you always know when i post new content

Hint, guys: hit the little bell notification down here ------> 

Arkhanist

Arkhanist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,251 posts

I've been having a think about the rumour that it's a one-coat colour paint, not least as it's starting to pop up from other sources that are reportedly reliable.

It's certainly feasible. A paint that dries darker in the recesses, and lighter on the higher areas? That's pretty much the definition of a wash. This can already be done for a nice effect, with yellow, with multiple thin coats - even a glaze will do this to some extent.

Oil-based dip works this way somewhat too, but goes more into the recesses and grades over the existing colour base. 

So what you'd need is something with a much higher pigment amount than a a standard Shade paint, more similar to a proper ink to get that coverage. You'd need to get the surface tension just right - so it will gather in recesses to dry darker, but not so much that it pulls away from the rest of the surface. You'd also have to increase the drying time significantly I think, and keep the pigment nicely in suspension throughout the medium as it dries. With standard washes, that's why you get random patterns and tide marks - the edge of a pool dries first, leaving the infamous bath ring of pigment, and not much left in the rest. This is definitely solvable - you get it for free with oil-based paint - but GW must have contracted out some interesting chemistry to get it to work.

The two closest examples I can think of currently are 

1) the dear departed modelmates rust effect. This is water based, goes on like a paint, but dries different colours depending upon how thick it is; a thin area is yellowish, a medium coat reddish, right down to thick, flaky red-brown when layered heavily. It's too thick to naturally gather in recesses on its own, but a thinner version would definitely work as a single coat paint - as long as you want it rust coloured!

1) hexwraith flame somewhat - and even more so, nighthaunt gloom. These are nearly there for what the rumour says in a single coat, without the blotchiness or tide marks of a normal wash - it's an acrylic, but quite clever. Do nighthaunt gloom which shades a little more in a variety of colours, drybrush to boost the highlights and you have a 2-stage process that will give you a pretty decent effect I reckon.

I'm not sure how good such a paint would be on models with a lot of flat surfaces - i.e. space marines - but for anything organic - cloth, skin, hair, leather, I can see it being really quite a time saver. Assuming it is true, It'd be interesting to see if putting it over a black->white zenithal highlighted model helps or hinders the effect!

Here's a screenshot of a single heavy coat of nighthaunt gloom, for example:

0UugbHY.png

Edited by Arkhanist, 03 May 2019 - 05:56 PM.

• Stoic Raptor and Aramis K like this

gallery_53969_15812_3395.gif gallery_62972_14467_3819.jpg gallery_48988_15465_4294.png gallery_48988_15094_4883.png

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,791 posts
  • Faction: 7th Terran Regiment

I've been having a think about the rumour that it's a one-coat colour paint, not least as it's starting to pop up from other sources that are reportedly reliable.

It's certainly feasible. A paint that dries darker in the recesses, and lighter on the higher areas? That's pretty much the definition of a wash. This can already be done for a nice effect, with yellow, with multiple thin coats - even a glaze will do this to some extent.

Oil-based dip works this way somewhat too, but goes more into the recesses and grades over the existing colour base. 

So what you'd need is something with a much higher pigment amount than a a standard Shade paint, more similar to a proper ink to get that coverage. You'd need to get the surface tension just right - so it will gather in recesses to dry darker, but not so much that it pulls away from the rest of the surface. You'd also have to increase the drying time significantly I think, and keep the pigment nicely in suspension throughout the medium as it dries. With standard washes, that's why you get random patterns and tide marks - the edge of a pool dries first, leaving the infamous bath ring of pigment, and not much left in the rest. This is definitely solvable - you get it for free with oil-based paint - but GW must have contracted out some interesting chemistry to get it to work.

The two closest examples I can think of currently are 

1) the dear departed modelmates rust effect. This is water based, goes on like a paint, but dries different colours depending upon how thick it is; a thin area is yellowish, a medium coat reddish, right down to thick, flaky red-brown when layered heavily. It's too thick to naturally gather in recesses on its own, but a thinner version would definitely work as a single coat paint - as long as you want it rust coloured!

1) hexwraith flame somewhat - and even more so, nighthaunt gloom. These are nearly there for what the rumour says in a single coat, without the blotchiness or tide marks of a normal wash - it's an acrylic, but quite clever. Do nighthaunt gloom which shades a little more in a variety of colours, drybrush to boost the highlights and you have a 2-stage process that will give you a pretty decent effect I reckon.

I'm not sure how good such a paint would be on models with a lot of flat surfaces - i.e. space marines - but for anything organic - cloth, skin, hair, leather, I can see it being really quite a time saver. Assuming it is true, It'd be interesting to see if putting it over a black->white zenithal highlighted model helps or hinders the effect!

Here's a screenshot of a single heavy coat of nighthaunt gloom, for example:

0UugbHY.png

Is that the blue one?

Your opinion is important, and someone posting here probably does care what you think. You should go tell them. Remember that it really hurts to come up with an idea you care about and have no one else care. Go care about something and tell them what you think. Now. Think of what it would have meant to you when you were young.

+++The Iterators Guild+++

A Group for Lore Minded Hobbyists and World Building Projects

Arkhanist

Arkhanist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,251 posts

Yup.

Bryan Blaire

Bryan Blaire

++ EXPLORATOR BIOLOGIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,976 posts
  • Faction: Imperium, Chaos, Xenos

Is that the blue one?

Nighthaunt Gloom is the blue/indigo/purplish colored one, yes.

Now that you say that Arkhanist, the bottle at my local shop must be drying a bit, because it definitely doesn’t have the appearance of the bottle on GW.com, but has a more color-gradient as I said above. I always thought it was something wrong with the paint, but if it intentionally dries more like that, it’s very interesting.
My DA Successor Chapter DIY - Stoneburners: Index Astartes Stoneburners; Images: Stoneburners WiP - DA Forum
Completed Squads: Stoneburners - Hall of Honor Forum
Drakeslayers, Bellicose Monster Hunters of the Fang: Drakeslayers - Space Wolves Forum
Other Material Here (Angels on both sides of the Long War): PCA WiP Forum
gallery_59244_7045_11084.jpggallery_59244_7045_3768.jpggallery_59244_7045_10256.jpg

Sete

Sete

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 10,941 posts

By the Gods if this is true, i will be painting a lot. i love building minis and doing minor conversions but hate painting. I need an easy way out.

• Trevak Dal and Panzer like this

Ranulf

Ranulf

++ EQUESTER CANEO ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,050 posts
  • Faction: Vlka Fenryka, House Orlock

Hmm, this Nighthaunt Gloom business is a bit of a revelation Arkhanist - That could make a much quicker basecoat for my Valhallans.

I wouldn't mind a (good) one coat paint product - it'd a huge time-saver on minis wearing lots of cloth (Guard, everything in 'munda etc) if I can just base coat and then edge highlight instead of painting multiple layers and then glazing...

-Ran

ZIbfbQY.jpg L_T_4_2019_Medal.gif

Triszin

Triszin

++ INTERFECTOR ROBUSTUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 7,040 posts

commission painting service ? anyone mention that ?

No, that would be too many new hires. + A customer service nightmare
  • Stoic Raptor likes this
banana

Reclusiarch Krieg

Reclusiarch Krieg

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,010 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars

If we get more paints in the vein of Nighthaunt Gloom / Hexwraith Flame, it's cool. There's no fancy trick to them though, you're supposed to base white and the consistency of the paint makes it flow like a wash but tint like an ink / paint, so white shines through on the thinner layer on raised parts, while the colour is non-transparent in the recesses.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)