Dealing with Extra Plastic on Bits

Currently putting together a 10-Man Intercessor squad. I didn't know when I bought them, but I'm pretty sure they were not produced by GW. Had I known this from the start, I probably wouldn't have bought them. Either way, they're here now and I'm doing my best to assemble them. They arrived out of their sprues and without instructions (I posted about this already and thankfully was provided an alternative). 

Now I'm catching a few errors, some made by me, but the one this post is for was out of my control. A couple of the jump packs arrived with extra plastic (or resin, I can't tell the difference). As the photos show, some of it is in a pretty important spot that will make it impossible for me to glue to the rest of the Space Marine without being dealt with. Any suggestions? Trying to avoid ruining the packs. In the past I've used my sprue cutters and nail files to get extra bits off the models, but I haven't had anything this bad up to now.   

Jump Packs With Excess

Jump Packs with Extra Bits

Id cut the excess off the flatten the surface then you could really just cut the "nob" off the back of the torso its going on. The parts are small enough it doesn't really need that extra surface area. If you're worried about that though a pinvice would be your friend.

As for the front areas, id cut carefully then use green stuff to try to match. You could also do battle damage if your not happy with the GS work.  That said, don't let it ruin your momentum if its a crazy huge pain, I'd bet someone in your area/local community may have spare packs they'd part with.

Edited by PeteySödes

Agreed. Just do it carefully and try your best to take off the chaff; I'm excited to see what you're building, honestly, and it isn't hard to remove sprue parts, really. Basically just use your usual methods but be extremely careful. Looking at them, those are probably recasts, yeah. May I ask where you got them from?

Edit: Looked closer, those are DEFINITELY recasts and I'd recommend getting stuff from your FLGS if you have one (and if they don't have something, you can ask to order it through them); I'm lucky enough to have an official GW-supported store in walking distance of where I live, but if you're not so lucky, I'd recommend you look on GW's official site and on Amazon. Regarding Amazon, I'd be very careful what you buy, because (for example) the only Start Collecting! Necrons set on Amazon right now is a recast.

Edited by Zephaniah Adriyen

Agreed. Just do it carefully and try your best to take off the chaff; I'm excited to see what you're building, honestly, and it isn't hard to remove sprue parts, really. Basically just use your usual methods but be extremely careful. Looking at them, those are probably recasts, yeah. May I ask where you got them from?

Edit: Looked closer, those are DEFINITELY recasts and I'd recommend getting stuff from your FLGS if you have one (and if they don't have something, you can ask to order it through them); I'm lucky enough to have an official GW-supported store in walking distance of where I live, but if you're not so lucky, I'd recommend you look on GW's official site and on Amazon. Regarding Amazon, I'd be very careful what you buy, because (for example) the only Start Collecting! Necrons set on Amazon right now is a recast.

I ordered them from an account on Etsy. I think it was called Great Pink Warhammer (Manly, I know. Lol). The customer reviews were encouraging, but I didn't realize that recasts were a thing until after I had placed the order. There was a wesite on the bag they came in: Tortuga-Gametable.top. 

Oh yeah, that's definitely a recaster website in ukraine (you missed an s in the URL). They sell basically everything, including forgeworld with like 1000 quantity available of everything. It's up to you if you want to raise an refund claim, as the original seller sold you knock off goods. GW do ask that you email infringements@gwplc.com, and they may be able to help get a refund from the seller, or you can do it yourself for counterfeit goods.

Regardless of the ethics of recasters when people know what they're getting (e.g. for out of production models), it's very different when fake copies are sold as real ones - that's just straight fraud.

Assuming you don't want to go through that hassle and chalk it up to experience, yet want to try and salvage the models; you're dealing with resin, not plastic. And you don't know what type of resin either. Follow the forgeworld guide for working with it, but treat any dust carefully, it may be a more toxic resin - use a respirator or N95 dust mask when sanding, drilling and cutting with a saw. From that pic, you're going to have to a fair bit of cutting and repair work, and quite possibly greenstuff fixes of holes and facing surfaces.

For the packs, just cut off the excess and sand it flat, and the same with the mount point. Use superglue, as plastic glue will not work on resin.

Edited by Arkhanist

Oh yeah, that's definitely a recaster website in ukraine (you missed an s in the URL). They sell basically everything, including forgeworld with like 1000 quantity available of everything. It's up to you if you want to raise an refund claim, as the original seller sold you knock off goods. GW do ask that you email infringements@gwplc.com, and they may be able to help get a refund from the seller, or you can do it yourself for counterfeit goods.

Regardless of the ethics of recasters when people know what they're getting (e.g. for out of production models), it's very different when fake copies are sold as real ones - that's just straight fraud.

Assuming you don't want to go through that hassle and chalk it up to experience, yet want to try and salvage the models; you're dealing with resin, not plastic. And you don't know what type of resin either. Follow the forgeworld guide for working with it, but treat any dust carefully, it may be a more toxic resin - use a respirator or N95 dust mask when sanding, drilling and cutting with a saw. From that pic, you're going to have to a fair bit of cutting and repair work, and quite possibly greenstuff fixes of holes and facing surfaces.

For the packs, just cut off the excess and sand it flat, and the same with the mount point. Use superglue, as plastic glue will not work on resin.

Considering how much work I've already done with them, I guess I should at least try to see it through. The seller wasn't explicit in saying the models were recasts, so I'm a little bothered by that. Info on the product in general was minimal. And I'm pretty sure the pics the seller was using were provided by customers who had already built and painted theirs. Can't say they mislead me deliberately, I was just ignorant that knockoffs were even a thing. Now it makes sense why I was able to get them for about 2/3 the price on the GW site.

Right now my biggest concern is what you said about the possibility of the resin being toxic. I've already done a bit of sanding without a mask on. The only precaution I had in mind was keeping a fan on in the room while I worked with the superglue. (Also used superglue on the Dark Imperium models I built before this set. Almost certain those were not imitations since they came with the mini-Primaris codex and instructions.)